Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying in high winds

Options
  • 28-01-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi, I'm just wondering at what point on the Beaufort scale do airlines generally not fly in the case of severe winds. I'm thinking each airline has their own policy, that varies by aircraft type. Specifically I'm talking about Ryanair and 737-800s. I'm flying early Thursday morning and mean wind speeds of 40mph+ are forecast for Dublin airport - obviously this could change between now and then but I'm curious (and a little nervous at the same time). I am right in thinking landings are worse in high-winds due to descending at low speeds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

It depends a lot on the direction of the wind, if its across the runway (crosswind) you will feel it a bit more but if its straight down the runway you wont notice it half as much. Each airline has there own cross wind limit, this again will change with wet/dry runway and winglets and the like, AFAIK its around 34knots cross wind on ryanair's 737's.

I certainly wouldnt be worried about it, worst case you'll have a few slight bumps.

BBC are only showing 20mph for Thursday,
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=4238

Advertisement