Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

License application reciept.

Options
  • 28-01-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭

Just passed my test today and I wasted no time taking the requisite the paperwork to my local motor tax office to get my pink paper.

Obviously I'm now without my old provisional and cert of competency, and the paperwork I have left is my driving test report (with very little ink on it :) ) and a receipt for the application.

What, if anything, can I do with that, should I stay off the road until I get the license in the post? Can I ditch my L plates? Can I drive on the Motorway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You are now fully licensed as soon as you got the receipt from the tax office.

Ditch the L plates now. Carry that receipt with you when driving and also carry ID to back it up.

Would also ring the insurance company and let them know as you may get a couple of euros back.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Technically you can't take down L-plates or drive on motorway as you're not a full licensed driver yet but........ most people do.

You should have a receipt for the license which you should carry with you while driving.

chris85 wrote: »
    You are now fully licensed as soon as you got the receipt from the tax office.

Ditch the L plates now. Carry that receipt with you when driving and also carry ID to back it up.

Would also ring the insurance company and let them know as you may get a couple of euros back.

That's not true but very few guards would pull you on it. You aren't fully licensed until you've got the old pinky.

javaboy wrote: »
    Technically you can't take down L-plates or drive on motorway as you're not a full licensed driver yet but........ most people do.

You should have a receipt for the license which you should carry with you while driving.

Fully licensed as soon as receipt is got from the tax office

Kildare cc website:

"Am I fully licensed to drive as soon as I pass my driving test?
    No - You are not fully licensed until you have been issued with a Full Driving Licence."

Dublin city council website: http://www.dublincity.ie/sitetools/faq/faq_motor_tax/driving_test_-_fully_licensed.asp

"Am I fully licensed to drive as soon as I pass my driving test? #5537
    No - You are not fully licensed until you have been issued with a Full Driving Licence."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

The girl in the motor tax office told me that the receipt from the tax office is sufficient proof that you hold a full license until you receive your license in the post.

If it wasn't sufficient what would happen every ten years when you need to renew your license? You have to hand in the old license in order to be issued with a new one, and it takes several days for the new license to be posted out. Would you not drive during this time?

The receipt says "Full Driving License" - and based on what the girl told me, the guards will accept it.

Kildare cc website:

"Am I fully licensed to drive as soon as I pass my driving test?

Dublin city council website: http://www.dublincity.ie/sitetools/faq/faq_motor_tax/driving_test_-_fully_licensed.asp

"Am I fully licensed to drive as soon as I pass my driving test? #5537

Thats different,that means when you leave the test centre you are not licenced

But if you go to the tax office with all the necessary paperwork you get a receipt which shows you are fully licenced and awaiting the actual licence in the post.

Can ring any motor tax office and they will tell you the same thing.

So OP you are fully licenced now, give any motor tax office a ring to confirm this for yourself but its all good.

aniascor wrote: »
    The girl in the motor tax office told me that the receipt from the tax office is sufficient proof that you hold a full license until you receive your license in the post.

If it wasn't sufficient what would happen every ten years when you need to renew your license? You have to hand in the old license in order to be issued with a new one, and it takes several days for the new license to be posted out. Would you not drive during this time?

The receipt says "Full Driving License" - and based on what the girl told me, the guards will accept it.

I recently passed my test and of course I drove on the receipt but I kept my L plates up and stayed off the mways as I was given the exact opposite advice from the motor tax office. They said I wasn't technically fully licensed yet.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that it makes sense (this is Ireland after all). It's just that if you want to be really technical, you don't have a license but no Garda would ever pull anyone for this.

I recently passed my test and of course I drove on the receipt but I kept my L plates up and stayed off the mways as I was given the exact opposite advice from the motor tax office. They said I wasn't technically fully licensed yet.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that it makes sense (this is Ireland after all). It's just that if you want to be really technical, you don't have a license but no Garda would ever pull anyone for this.

I am sorry but you are fully licenced, you apply for your licence and you get a receipt, two weeks later you get your pink paper in the post and the start date on your licence is the date you applied for it in the motor tax office.

Guards cant say anything to you. If they stop for being on a motorway, you show them receipt and they will ask you to show licence in station in few weeks. You then show the licence and show that when you were fully licenced when stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

You are not fully licenced, it is just proof that you have applied. What if you're application is returned due to something being omitted/needed?

You're not supposed to drive on it but most do. And that's the same when you are renewing it. It's only once every ten years!

P.S. I have worked in a MTO in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Fair enough. I was just going on what i had been told in the Motor Tax office. If it's not a valid replacement for a license while the license is being processed, then all motor tax offices should offer a "processed while you wait" service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

chris85 wrote: »
    I am sorry but you are fully licenced, you apply for your licence and you get a receipt, two weeks later you get your pink paper in the post and the start date on your licence is the date you applied for it in the motor tax office.

Guards cant say anything to you. If they stop for being on a motorway, you show them receipt and they will ask you to show licence in station in few weeks. You then show the licence and show that when you were fully licenced when stopped.
    Thats not always true. I applied for my license on the 9th and when I got it it said it was issued on the 14th. Different MTO's appear to wait a few days before processing them.

redcar wrote: »
    Thats not always true. I applied for my license on the 9th and when I got it it said it was issued on the 14th. Different MTO's appear to wait a few days before processing them.

Same here. Applied on 21st issued on 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If it's not a valid replacement for a license while the license is being processed, then all motor tax offices should offer a "processed while you wait" service.
    You should already have your provisional licence and can use that in the interim.

You may not legally remove 'L' plates, drive on a motorway or be unaccompanied (if applicable) until you are in posession a full Driving Licence.
    aniascor wrote:
    what would happen every ten years when you need to renew your license?
    That's a totally different scenario as you are merely exchanging the licence, not upgrading from a provisional to a full licence.

There is a huge difference between driving without a licence and driving on an expired licence. Driving on an expired licence is a very minor offence and one may allow it to lapse for 10 years before having to begin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

You should already have your provisional licence and can use that in the interim.
    But I had to hand in my (2nd) provisional. I assumed, therefore, that had ceased, or will shortly, cease to be vaild particularly since I'm not going to get it back or anything.
    You may not legally remove 'L' plates, drive on a motorway or be unaccompanied (if applicable) until you are in posession a full Driving Licence.
    Too late, I've already chucked them out :D

Fair enough. I was just going on what i had been told in the Motor Tax office. If it's not a valid replacement for a license while the license is being processed, then all motor tax offices should offer a "processed while you wait" service.

The license application must first be checked for all the relevant details, all these must then get input onto the system and receipts must be printed out for each one. Then licenses must be printed for each. These must then be checked by a quality control section to ensure there is nothing wrong with the license that has been printed out. These must then all have the photos and signatures attached and be laminated, and each application and associated documents arranged to be scanned into the system. With the number of applications that come in there is a reason it takes a number of days for them to be processed. It would be unfeasible and unfair to have such a service in the larger motor tax offices.

I'm pretty sure I've missed out on some of the processes that are involved also.

(I figured I'd reuse this old thread instead of starting a new one)

Got my pink license today, very happy :) but there's a slight problem.

I had held a Category A (Motorcycle) 2nd provisional, it ran concurrent with my now superceeded 2nd Provisional Category B, (that is to say I took out provisionals in both categories on the same license). Both were set to expire on the same day in June.

My new pink license says nothing about my Motorcycle permit/license, and I don't have my old 2nd provisional. So now I'm wondering what happened. Did I miss a key detail in the full license application? Is the 2nd provisional still in force at all? Or, do I have to go through the whole thing (Driver Theory Test, eyesight exam, permit with 6 month ban on taking a driving test) again?

SeanW wrote: »
    (I figured I'd reuse this old thread instead of starting a new one)

Got my pink license today, very happy :) but there's a slight problem.

I had held a Category A (Motorcycle) 2nd provisional, it ran concurrent with my now superceeded 2nd Provisional Category B, (that is to say I took out provisionals in both categories on the same license). Both were set to expire on the same day in June.

My new pink license says nothing about my Motorcycle permit/license, and I don't have my old 2nd provisional. So now I'm wondering what happened. Did I miss a key detail in the full license application? Is the 2nd provisional still in force at all? Or, do I have to go through the whole thing (Driver Theory Test, eyesight exam, permit with 6 month ban on taking a driving test) again?
    You should have been issued with an updated Provisional Licence (minus category B) with your category B Driving Licence.

Photocopy all material before posting. I realise that it's too late saying that now but others take note.

I actually took a scan of my old provo not long before my test, originally as a joke, but it turns out it may be useful :(

Truth be told, I haven't used the category A license at all, but I was planning to get a bike soon, wanted to get the car license out of the way first.

So now I'm weighing up my options, should I try and chase my old 2nd provisional, or take out a new learners permit. But before I can do that, I need to know if the old 2nd provisional is still in force at all, and also what is involved in adding a new learners permit to my license, if the old provo is unsalvageable, or I decide not to try.

Do I have to do a new Theory Test, eyesight exam etc if I go for a 1st permit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Are you not fully licensed considering you were given your certificate of competency?

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    what is involved in adding a new learners permit to my license
    Both documents are seperate and independent of each other. You should have a pink Driving Licence for category B and a Green Provisional Licence in category A.
    SeanW wrote:
    Do I have to do a new Theory Test, eyesight exam etc if I go for a 1st permit?
    No - it is valid for 5 years AFAIK.

Eoin D wrote:
    Are you not fully licensed considering you were given your certificate of competency?
    He is referring to his Provisional motorcycle Licence which was with category B on his old Provisional Licence. He passed the category B test so now he should have a Provisional Licence in category A and a Driving Licence in category B.

Just let the MTO know. I think they may need an extra set of photos though to issue the replacement provisonal, or if you're lucky they'll cut one out of the old one.
    When submitting an application for a full licence the old provisional nearly always gets kept, I think to improve the chances of getting one back people should attach a note or something.

Advertisement