Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compsoc going up in the world

• 28-01-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

it has been exactly one age since i have posted on this forum. but the last week in compsoc has been monumental! In the past year we have changed our society name for computer gaming society to computer society, to account for sad loss of netsoc.(*sniff).We really haven't done much to live up to the change of name, till this week! not only was our VLAN application accepted, but kind, kind Paul Dolan(aka S4dd) gave us a server!although i am yet to see it, i am told it is impressive, weighing in just under 100 kilos with 17 scsi drives!By the end of this week we hope to have the server set up. Sci-fi soc, LGB and karting soc are all getting sites built by us and hosting on this beast of a server. they will also (hopefully) get an IRC channel. i will keep you guys up to date as things happen!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

and yes, if you are wondering this is a resurrection of the bitbucket project, as talked about in the it carlow charter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Wow, I'm really glad to hear it guys, best of luck with this :)

Though for the record, it was initially called the computer society or Compsoc :)

yes true, but when netsoc was around it had to be changed to computer gaming society.
    a note: does any one of any knoledge of turning on sun systems servers? if yes please contact me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

I'd like to point out that this society has no affiliation with the society "bitbucket"

LOVE ND HUGZLEZ

agreed. but we will be trying to take up the slack that the lose of butbucket left behind

• Advertisement

our server hates us! it took me two hours to figure out how to turn it on! turns out it wasnt screwed( the cover ) in properly! now trying to install the operating system. our choose was UBUNTU and.....nothing....format and reinstall....nothing......again....with it hook up to the network.....nothing....rang sun support....you can install whatever the **** you want on it. it will tell you that its install but booting it? are you kidding me? logic? HA! it will only boot solaris 8-10.....

i believe i said that you're going to need to have someone else look at it?

he looked at it and installed ubuntu!

right, we have tried the whole of last week trying to install and run ubuntu on this famous server. we have found sun hate competition!we have found debian seems to work better on sun. we will this week install debian. if that doesnt work, we might have to install the dreaded solaris! if any one wants access pm me, i will be checking my pm's at least once a day this week. i will give an undate on this tomorrow when we have installed debian or solaris! all we know that the sparc station beside it has it installed and boots no problem with debian.
    fingers crossed!

i have no issue helping out remotely as soon as you get ssh open (and accessible from the outside world). Saying this, ubuntu definitely goes onto the e450 (as does debian).

There's nothing wrong with solaris, by the by. But if you have someone that has previous experience with linux then it might be best to stay with linux.

• Advertisement

first off, can i say, compsoc loves you s4dd! secondly. yes our programmer is used to linux(unbuntu flavor). but also has no trouble with unix. i just found that debian seems to have a lot more, and easier to read docs, and even me, a n00b at linux was nearly able to install debian net install. ubuntu seemed to make it hard and impersonal. we'll see tomorrow what happens. hopefully tomorrow i will will sending out emails with logins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

what are you planning on doing with the server??

gaming, chat, web hosting, and at some point, radio hosting. not
    just for compsoc, but for sci-fi soc, and karting soc. if any other societies want in i will be more then welcome to help them out, i will even do the web design etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

sounds like your getting some good stuff set up. is it for current students or are wafflers welcome?

for the moment i am just going to say current students, but i cant see any problems with allowing anyone from boards/waffle on it. once they dont abuse it that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

you say webhosting... I presume thats just websites? I'd be interested in some webstorage space.

we'll see once its up what reall services we can provide.

any day now?

leaving the sun server to one side for the moment, getting no joy out of it, going to the old dell one. spent the last 2 days updating, this evening hopefully

yea, its finally installing the system! we will definitely have something at the end of today

• Advertisement
Advertisement