Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor vents on exposed walls

Options
  • 28-01-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

This is my first post to boards.ie so be patient...

I have moveed into a new house with 3 vent holes with extractor fans attached (two bathroom and one extractor hood) that face directly south west. the house is on an elevated site in Galway so I get the full force of the prevailing wind (s-w erly) hitting the vents and blowing into the bathrooms and kitchen.

can anybody suggest a fan or duct valve or anything (bar blocking the vent) to prevent the gale blowing down through the vents?

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

You can get a cover for the ducting in the extractor fan that only allows the air to pass through one way si when the wind blows from the outside it cant get through but when th efan is on the vent opens up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

do they not have gravity vents on the outside??, if not look into them as they usually only allow air to pass one way. there only a couple of euro and come in most standard sizes and colours. think the standard sizes are 4 and 6 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem in my new house. I had three vents with gravity covers, but they flapped away whenever a slight wind was blowing. The other one had a cowel on it, witha circular flap aainst the wall. This was even worse !! In the end I just svrewed them shut, and just open the windows now when I have a shower or bath. We tried leaving them open a bit but found that the bathrooms were just cold the whole time. If you have windows, my advise is to use them, and block up the vents which you must have, thanks to our lovely new building regs...

W.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 briwal

Thanks for your replies so far... I can't believe that there are no products out there that deal wioth this... especially in a country with winds like we have. can anybody post a link to these kinds of products... thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5 briwal

See attached product from Manrose that fits inside your vent duct. This works well. :)

The builder sealed off one of the flaps with silicone but the other flap is more that sufficient to let out the extracted air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Hi there, I have exactly the same problem in my new house. I had three vents with gravity covers, but they flapped away whenever a slight wind was blowing. The other one had a cowel on it, witha circular flap aainst the wall. This was even worse !! In the end I just svrewed them shut, and just open the windows now when I have a shower or bath. We tried leaving them open a bit but found that the bathrooms were just cold the whole time. If you have windows, my advise is to use them, and block up the vents which you must have, thanks to our lovely new building regs...

W.:cool:

This may seem like a strange way to fix the flapping but it works.

take an hour.

but some fishing weights and flatten them out with a hammer

glue them to the underside of the flaps.

It really helps

Advertisement