Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"No Right Turn" 07.00-10.00 Thread

Options
  • 28-01-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Just so happened to end up on Hollybank Road this morning coming from Glasnevin heading to Drumcondra Road. At the end of Hollybank Road there is a Right Turn, well signposted saying "NO Right Turn between 07.00-10.00".

Now most people ignore this most mornings and thats their business. The thing that pissed me off this morning was the fact that two Guards (who were obviously sent there this morning by the Super)who were not wearing Hi-viz jackets were snaring motorists who did turn right. The little thing they didn't think about was the cars that veered out onto the wrong side of the road (including a Taxi) to make that illegal right turn and suddenly realise that there was two coppers lining them up drove straight on down to the T Junction on the wrong side of the road!!!! So what's legal about that type of driving????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

bbability wrote: »
    The little thing they didn't think about was the cars that veered out onto the wrong side of the road (including a Taxi) to make that illegal right turn ....

You say "including a Taxi" like they actually know how to drive properly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Just so happened to end up on Hollybank Road this morning coming from Glasnevin heading to Drumcondra Road. At the end of Hollybank Road there is a Right Turn, well signposted saying "NO Right Turn between 07.00-10.00".

Now most people ignore this most mornings and thats their business. The thing that pissed me off this morning was the fact that two Guards (who were obviously sent there this morning by the Super)who were not wearing Hi-viz jackets were snaring motorists who did turn right. The little thing they didn't think about was the cars that veered out onto the wrong side of the road (including a Taxi) to make that illegal right turn and suddenly realise that there was two coppers lining them up drove straight on down to the T Junction on the wrong side of the road!!!! So what's legal about that type of driving????
    What, if anything, is your point?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The point I'm tryin to make is that two obvioulsy inexperienced gards this morning nearly cause a pile-up due to their lack of co-ordination and hence drivers who pulled out of the line of traffic onto the worng side of the road to turn right way before the illegal right turn and reverted from doing so when they saw the guards, continuted to drive on the RHS of the road until the got to the T Junction of Hollybank Road/Drumcondra Road. So which was worse? Cautioning drivers making a illegal Right Turn or the lack of brains in the driver who continued to drive on the wrong side of the road?

Lucky there was no accident there this morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The point I'm tryin to make is that two obvioulsy inexperienced gards this morning nearly cause a pile-up due to their lack of co-ordination and hence drivers who pulled out of the line of traffic onto the worng side of the road to turn right way before the illegal right turn and reverted from doing so when they saw the guards, continuted to drive on the RHS of the road until the got to the T Junction of Hollybank Road/Drumcondra Road. So which was worse? Cautioning drivers making a illegal Right Turn or the lack of brains in the driver who continued to drive on the wrong side of the road?

Hang on. Driver does something worng (on the wrong side of the road) in an effort to do somethign illegal and because a gard is doing his job of preventing an illegal action the driver does somethign else stupid (and illegal I'm assumign based on your description) it's the gards fault? WTF?

The idiot drivers are 100% at fault and their actions are by far the worst in this and most likely every case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭thetaxman

Was blasting up the quays towards heuston the other day, took the no left turn after temple bar. Pure sting operation was in progress, around ten guards pulling people in. Banguarda took my name, number and address. Probably get three points, however as i told her, i am prepared to go to court as i was behind a lorry and could not see the sign.

• Advertisement

thetaxman wrote: »
    Was blasting up the quays towards heuston the other day, took the no left turn after temple bar. Pure sting operation was in progress, around ten guards pulling people in. Banguarda took my name, number and address. Probably get three points, however as i told her, i am prepared to go to court as i was behind a lorry and could not see the sign.

You'll go to court to say that you were tailgating a lorry so much you couldnt see traffic signs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Stekelly wrote: »
    You'll go to court to say that you were tailgating a lorry so much you couldnt see traffic signs?

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Was it a big white lorry? That's the one that stopped me paying my TV license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

i am prepared to go to court as i was behind a lorry and could not see the sign.
    Just one sign? From memory, there's at least two 'no left turn' signs plus a traffic signal with a 'straight-on only' indicator.

Which will get the more points: failing to drive with proper consideration (and missing three road signs) or deliberately ignoring a sign which you knew was there?

And, don't tell the judge you were 'blasting up the quays' that mightn't help.

Tomas_V wrote: »
    And, don't tell the judge you were 'blasting up the quays' that mightn't help.

Ignore this advice. Be sure to use the phrase. In fact , improvise a bit, do the motions of wildly swinging your arms back and forward like you were quickly changing lanes, jusdges in particular love a driver who can display agressive , fast city centre driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

And we wonder why motoring is biggest killer in Ireland.
    Cops stopping bad drivers for breaking the rules...excellent!!!
    Someone not driving the required distance behind a truck (I believe ya!) complaining that they can't see a sign .... then you can't see the road ahead.

Moral of the story.... put the crap drivers off the road. If you have a proper licence you signed it to say you UNDERSTAND and AGREE to obey the rules of the road. If a driver doesn't understand or agree with the rules....stay off the roads!!!

Less crap drivers, less traffic jams...happy days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭thetaxman

Well, you see I was not actually behind a lorry in the first place. This is an important point that must not be overlooked. I was fully aware of the no left turn, what I was looking for is a way out of this situation. The first thing I done the next day was go to the law library and get visitors access. I looked up the specific law involved and low and behold, there are numerous lawful reason which might lead one to take left where no turn is permitted under "normal" circumstances. My circumstances were far from normal, I was in a rush back to work. However the judge will get quite a story, when the man comes around.

My circumstances were far from normal, I was in a rush back to work. However the judge will get quite a story, when the man comes around.

Sorry didn't realise you were in a rush. Certainly they are unusual circumstances on the quays. Hope you get an apology from the guards for being so mean to you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

(who were obviously sent there this morning by the Super)

Who is obviously getting grief off the local residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i have no problem with any "no right/left turn" sign, they serve a purpose.

but, if you can prove that you live or work on the road that you can't turn on to, does that override the sign? i'm thinking specifically of a cul de sac off the N11 by UCD which you have to turn left onto if you're heading north towards town. if i lived there, there aren't any other options to access the road except head closer to town, do a u-turn then head south again and turn right onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The installation of that 'no left turn' into Parliament Street was heavily advertised several months ago in and there is adequate signage in place.

Please go to court and give us a laugh!
    if you can prove that you live or work on the road that you can't turn on to, does that override the sign?
    Of course not! :eek:

Many 'no right turns' are in place to prevent backlogs on busy stretches where the motorist is holding everyone up while waiting for a gap.

Just keep going to the next free junction and go around the block.

Of course not! :eek:

Many 'no right turns' are in place to prevent backlogs on busy stretches where the motorist is holding everyone up while waiting for a gap.

Just keep going to the next free junction and go around the block.

what if it's a left turn and is limited purely to prevent a rat-run through an estate? if you live in that estate, it would seem to be unreasonable to deny you access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

what if it's a left turn and is limited purely to prevent a rat-run through an estate? if you live in that estate, it would seem to be unreasonable to deny you access.
    The Gardai can (and will) stop you for this.

The junction Littlejukka references had Gardai on it this morning. The other No-left-turn junction nearby on Nutley Lane is a popular spot for them too.

The latter is a rat run, the former is a place where motorists do u-turns by driving into resident's driveways.

The Gardai can (and will) stop you for this.

The junction Littlejukka references had Gardai on it this morning. The other No-left-turn junction nearby on Nutley Lane is a popular spot for them too.

The latter is a rat run, the former is a place where motorists do u-turns by driving into resident's driveways.

i was stopped at that junction where the gardai were, for using the buslane unfortunately. i can see why they wouldn't permit people to use it improperly, but if you lived there, surely there is a get-out clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

But no one is denying you access to the estate are they? You are however not allowed to break a road traffic law to get into the estate from one particular direction of travel. All you have to do is proceed further along the road where I am sure you can do a lawful u-turn or go around the block (as already suggested ) and then enter the estate.

• Advertisement

Well, you see I was not actually behind a lorry in the first place. This is an important point that must not be overlooked. I was fully aware of the no left turn, what I was looking for is a way out of this situation. The first thing I done the next day was go to the law library and get visitors access. I looked up the specific law involved and low and behold, there are numerous lawful reason which might lead one to take left where no turn is permitted under "normal" circumstances. My circumstances were far from normal, I was in a rush back to work. However the judge will get quite a story, when the man comes around.

Ah the man may get a verbal smack in the mouth if the guard noted your excuse for making the illegal turn in her notebook.

After you tried explaining your point twice I still cannot see why you are blaming the guards.

I don't know the junction you are talking about and let me just take the taxi driver. So would it be a fair assessment to say that the taxi driver was already on the wrong side of the road approaching the junction and the only and first time the guards would be able to see him was at the junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Banjoseph

I was stopped recently turning left at a 'no left turn 7.00-9.30' into the housing estate I live in, in Sandyford. The guard said that although they don't really have a problem with residents, they haven't got time to be verifying everybodys address. They let me off that time but said if it happened again I'd be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

What exactly does "except access" mean legally, there is a no left turn sign on Harolds cross road opposite where the classic cinema was , with this underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

mcguiver wrote: »
    And we wonder why motoring is biggest killer in Ireland.

Thats is a bit over the top? Motoring is not nearly the biggest killer on our roads. More people die of suicide each year than die on our roads. And I am sure there are a number of other "killers" which are worse than motoring.

The RSA keep telling us that speed is the killer, rather than bad driving, drink/drug driving, and "inappropriate speed".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Hang on. Driver does something worng (on the wrong side of the road) in an effort to do somethign illegal and because a gard is doing his job of preventing an illegal action the driver does somethign else stupid (and illegal I'm assumign based on your description) it's the gards fault? WTF?

The idiot drivers are 100% at fault and their actions are by far the worst in this and most likely every case.
    Thank you, I know I asked the question but I really did not have the will to respond to his answer.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

But that's what I'm trying to point out. Thinking about it this morning if they (the guards) were going to do such a sting operation (and as correctly pointed out by the Chief because the residents were complaining) they should have been there in numbers. 2 Guards was not enouhg to cope the amount of cars taking the chance.

So what I ask is a priority for a copper? Stopping a motorist making an illgeal Right Turn onto a normal road or stopping a car not completing the turn and continuing to drive on the wrong side of the road??

Who will cause an accident first??

Traumadoc wrote: »
    What exactly does "except access" mean legally, there is a no left turn sign on Harolds cross road opposite where the classic cinema was , with this underneath.

Access means you're destination is actually on that street. e.g. you are making a delivery there or you live there. Usually you will only see this if the No Turn rule is because of a rat-race/traffic calming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

The installation of that 'no left turn' into Parliament Street was heavily advertised several months ago in and there is adequate signage in place.
    I passed the very spot today. I was wrong about there being two 'NO LEFT TURN' signs. There are in fact, three such signs in addition to the 'STRAIGHT ON ONLY' traffic signal.

From what I can see, the affected traffic turns left about 200 metres further on just beside the Civic Offices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I think there's a simple solution to most of the motoring threads.

Just below the picture on your drivers licence should be a signature, that's where you sign to say you understand and agree to obey obey the rules of the road. If anyone doesn't understand or agree to them, don't sign, dont drive...problem solved...thousands of drivers off the road...less trafffic....happy days!!

Advertisement