Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Recipes

• 28-01-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi.
    I'm not big fish lover but I am trying to change that I was wondering if anyone could suggest some fish recipes for me to try out.
    I don't like oily fish. On the rare occasion when I do have it its usually cod, smoked haddock (I'm not sure why I like this I just think its different I boil it in milk and water until its soft).

Thanks for any help given

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cut some potatoes into dice - fry in a pan until golden and cooked through.
    Cook a couple of handfuls of puy lentils in simmering water until tender.
    Take a thick piece if cod with the skin on - season with salt & pepper.
    Fry in a nonstick pan, skin side up for 5 or 6 minutes until golden on top.
    Turn over and fry skin side down for a couple more minutes.
    Make a vinegrette dressing by mixing 1/3 white wine vinegar with 2/3 olive oil. Add a dollop of dijon mustard and a squeeze or lemon. Taste.
    Mix the cooked lentils with the potato and some chopped parsley, add a dash of the dressing.
    Plate up the lentil and potato mixture and sit the cod on top.
    Drizzle more dressing over the fish and around the plate.
    A few roast tomatoes still on the vine finish the dish very nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I take a couple of thick chunks of cod, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and put it in a pyrex dish. I then finely chop some peppers (I usually use green and yellow but the colour doesn't matter) and lay them over the cod. I halve some baby potoatoes and roll them in a little oil and throw them into the pyrex dish too (If you want to use them whole you could parboil them for a few minutes first). I put them into a preheated oven (around 180 C) and bake for around 12-15 mins depending on the thickness of the cod. Then I add some cherry tomatoes and cook for another 10 mins until the cherry tomatoes burst open. Serve with rocket salad and crusty bread. Simple and delicious! And healthy too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

This one is off the hook. I use a gas BBQ.

Get 1 whole gutted Sea Trout per person. Remove the head if you wish. Remove the scales. Clean thoroughly. Make 3 deep scores in the body on each side. stuff with lemon thyme or rosemary (very italian) also stuff the inside with some lemon slices. Oil the fish and season with salt and pepper. Heat your gas BBQ (Or griddle pan, OR grill) and cook for 5 or 6 mins each side.

Delicious.

MAke sure to oil the bbq grill first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tkyn22

For cod, plaice etc, I sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on fish and cover fish lightly with flour.
    Then fry with bit of butter or oil. (not deep fry)
    When you eat, squeeze some lemon juice on top.
    I usually add soy sauce as well.

For oily fish or breams, salmon, trout etc...
    Just grill the fish. (dont put oil or anything)
    When you eat, pour a bit of soy sauce.
    that's it. I think this is quite healthy.
    You can put grated ginger on top of fish too, it should take fishy smell away.

Make sure you buy fresh fish otherwise they don't smell nice especially oily fish. Its better to buy the fish which are not gutted as they can go off quite fast.

I'm not sure if people here like this recipe, but I just thought I might as well add another easy recipe :)
    Being Japanese, we eat fish a lot back home, so our recipes are really simple and easy, and I can actually taste the fish:D

Advertisement