Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

please help my poor Passat 98 1.9tdi auto gearbox replacement

Options
  • 28-01-2008 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi guys, my passat automatic gearbox is gone, i bring her into the garage, and they ask for 2K+ Euro, is there anything other way could get this job done cheaper?or does any body know where can i find second hand passat or A4 gearbox?:) thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Teletubbies say eh-o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I've heard of autos being replaced with manuals on older cars where the cost of a new/reconditioned auto would be prohibitive...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Crazy formatting makes baby Jesus cry.

Location? Anyway, you probably better off getting a newer car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wzc

thanks guys, and is that possible to change it in a manual gear box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

wzc where are you? Was the 2000 for a new box installed or for a recon box installed?

Mike.

• Advertisement

hi mike, i am in Dublin sth area, what's the recon box mean? and how much is cost for that? thanks:confused:

Well auto boxes get worn and replaced with new, and the manufacturer takes the old part and its reconditioned for resale at a latter point. Obviously a recon box is cheaper than a new one.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Well auto boxes get worn and replaced with new, and the manufacturer takes the old part and its reconditioned for resale at a latter point. Obviously a recon box is cheaper than a new one.

Mike.

mike could u do the job?

He! No I'm no mechanic (well not big stuff). Sounds like you need to assess your options. Talk to a freindly, non-VW, independent garage and see whats possible and how much (you might find a scrapped car with said gearbox).

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    He! No I'm no mechanic (well not big stuff). Sounds like you need to assess your options. Talk to a freindly, non-VW, independent garage and see whats possible and how much (you might find a scrapped car with said gearbox).

Mike.

thanks for your opinions. but is possible to change it in manual one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Try Naas gearbox center. They're very good for manuals, don't know if they do auto's but if you call them you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

wzc wrote: »
    thanks for your opinions. but is possible to change it in manual one?
    Probly will cost even more because you'll be changing more than just the gear box and probly more labour.

True - you can't just bolt an autobox to an engine, the mating face needs to be compatible for a start, the manual shift mechanism has to be routed (that might or might not be straightforwards) plus various control systems need removing I imagine

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You will need new flywheel, pedal box probably, igntion if it has an inhibitor, all the gear links (might not be much with the passat) possibly drive shafts as well
    Auto boxes might be scarce on the ground. Traynors in the north i'd imagine would be a good place to look. I know a manual box is 500 for a passat

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Savman wrote: »
    Teletubbies say eh-o

Best Quote Ever!!! :D

You would need new driveshafts. 250 a pop

Mike.

Advertisement