Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 944 - Am I Insane?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

@Kdouglas - if you are serious about picking one up - I'd suggest reading the 944FAQ over and over, so you know everything about the car. Then try posting on Porsche owner websites and asking on those for peoples opinions who live and own them.

http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

BnA wrote: »
    While we're talking about 944's.

I'm leaving myself open for a batin' here, but.....Is it just me, or do they look fantastic in white ?

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/images.action?R=200740295934507&channel=CARS&adcategory=&largeId=646885819

Agreed, do like them in white too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Chaz wrote: »
    On what basis? Fact or something you heard?

I have a lovely 944 for sale, here, listed on the Porsche Club Ireland:

http://content.us.porsche-clubs.porsche.com/PorscheClubs/pc_ireland/pc_main.nsf/web/BBFE9DBE29091476C12573DB003F4140#pagetop

Sad to see the car go, just a bit small for what I needed. Lovely motor and more than happy to meet and show the car to you (assuming your in Dublin or somewhere that we can reasonably meet if interested).

that is quite nice, was having a look at it yesterday, wouldn't mind chatting to a 944 owner, mind if i pm you with a few questions?

vtec wrote: »
    good god KD, what are you thinking, Id rather have the mondeo., :D
    i know some people will swear by them on here but the bottom line is, its an old car and it will be likely to have some problems, they wernt known for having bulletproof reliability to begin with added to the age and wear on the car over the years.,
    also an engine of that age is gonna have a high MPG compared to similarly sized engines from recent years and parts, even service parts will be expencive., Personally if i was gonna have a porsche it would have to be one of the proper ones, the 944 was designed to be the "poor mans porsche".,
    you'd be able to do a lot of the servicing stuff on one of them yourself though, its just like an AEG only bigger and more complicated.,:p

nah, the mondeo is lovely, but getting a bit sick of it, still very much considering the 944, gonna spend some time thinking about it and working out the figures of course

im not averse to working on things myself, but id likely get a reputable mechanic (who has experience working on the 944) to do any work for me

from what i've read, the engine is reliable once it's maintained and serviced regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭meathmannn

944 Turbo, as was said, like all early turbos got some bad press, mainly due to lack of maintainance. But if you look after it then it's a great toy.
    All this range (if I remember correctly) are galvanised and therefore can't rust.

Have you considered the older model 924? it's 2 litre with a non turbo model thats easy to play around with due to the availability of VW and Audi spares that are interchangeable.

Do you want one that's ready to drive or do you want a project car?? (if you do drop me a pm, I can point you towards very cheap 924 if you fancy giving it some TLC.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

kdouglas wrote: »
    that is quite nice, was having a look at it yesterday, wouldn't mind chatting to a 944 owner, mind if i pm you with a few questions?

Sure, im not a 944 expert but might be able to answer some stuff.

meathmannn wrote: »
    944 Turbo, as was said, like all early turbos got some bad press, mainly due to lack of maintainance. But if you look after it then it's a great toy.
    All this range (if I remember correctly) are galvanised and therefore can't rust.

Have you considered the older model 924? it's 2 litre with a non turbo model thats easy to play around with due to the availability of VW and Audi spares that are interchangeable.

Do you want one that's ready to drive or do you want a project car?? (if you do drop me a pm, I can point you towards very cheap 924 if you fancy giving it some TLC.)

924 is nice alright, but its not a 944 ;)

not looking for a project car at all, dont have the time for it to be honest, thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I suppose if you compared them with anything you'd have to look at the non-quattro Audi GT from those days. And what could be fundamentaly wrong with a car of that quality that is looked after ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Arrivederci

Hello,
    roughly how much would you be talking to keep one of these going for a year? (I mean regular servicing, tyres, any extra work that may need to be done etc. not tax, insurance or petrol) Anyone got any figures?

Advertisement