Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming snake

Options
  • 28-01-2008 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

hey, I bought a corn snake last week, Its only ten weeks old and is petrified, any attempt to pick him up and he slithers away. I fed him today for the first time and he ate it no problem. Has anyone got any tips as to how I can gradually get him accustomed to handling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

The reason wh he move away is because he's afraid, he;s got to learn that you are not going to hurt him. You just gotta keep taking him out, say 15-30min a day and he'll soon get to tolerate you handeling him. Just make sure not to be rough with him, slow, relaxed movements when picking him up. I just got a new boa recently and am trying to get him used to me, i wish when he didnt wanna be handled he would just move way like yours but instead he lashes outs, but in a short while he'll be alot better.

15012008032.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Vinnie K wrote: »
    The reason wh he move away is because he's afraid, he;s got to learn that you are not going to hurt him. You just gotta keep taking him out, say 15-30min a day and he'll soon get to tolerate you handeling him. Just make sure not to be rough with him, slow, relaxed movements when picking him up. I just got a new boa recently and am trying to get him used to me, i wish when he didnt wanna be handled he would just move way like yours but instead he lashes outs, but in a short while he'll be alot better.

15012008032.jpg

I think thats good advice from Vinne, i had a corn-snake and it was afraid of everyone including myself. I made the mistake of bringing loads of people into the house and let some handle him, it got more aggressive as time went pass. If i was you i wouldnt be letting to many handle it and also as vinne suggested pick up at least twice a day for 15min. I had same problem and i was told this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let it out and let it move around you so that it learns you're not going to hurt it. Once it feels comfortable moving around on top/around you then pick it up for longer periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

You could also try putting something of yours in its viv like a glove or something that would get him used to your scent.

Advertisement