Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP.Net on XP (Home), or alternatives

Options
  • 28-01-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I've recently started working on a website for the first time. It's a ratemyblah kind of thing, users inputting ratings, probably having accounts if they use it on a regular basis.

I've 10 years programming (mainly VB/Cobol/C/SQL) but haven't worked on the web side of things before. So I've been lurking here for a while picking up tips, including w3schools.com, where I've been through most of the basic tutorials.

I started off downloading Visual Studio 05, went through the tutorials on that, and had my basic forms up and running with a MySQL back end when I started looking at the security side of things. Started the Visual Studio tutorial on that, then discovered XP Home doesn't seem to support the IIS security features.

Am I right in thinking I can't use ASP.Net with XP Home? Is it just the security side of things, and are there alternatives for that, or do I need to switch to PHP?

Another alternative would be to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro, but I've know idea what the cost is like. Can't seem to find an answer on the microsoft site. Since this is only a spare time project at the moment, I don't want to spend much on it beyond domain reg and hosting fees.

My main reason for going with Visual Studio was ease of picking it up - GUI interface plus being able to test run stuff without having to install and configure Apache. And vbscript is fairly straightforward. Is there any good (free!) integrated environment for PHP development, or do I just bite the bullet and install Apache and just use Notepad++. Or even can I use Visual Studio with PHP?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

VS2005 Has a built in web server (Camino i think) so you can run asp.net without IIS, as IIS doesnt come with XP Home.

I just googled install IIS on xp home and i got the link below, maybe it helps

How to Install IIS on Windows XP Home. Yes, it can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

yep, if you want ot do asp.net development download visual studio, its much easier.

Installing IIS on XP home can be..."awkward", but it certainly does work, but there's no need anymore with VS available

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Sorry, just realised I never got back to say thanks for the responses, reassuring to know I didn't need to start from scratch again.

Working away with Visual Studio 05, everything's OK so far. I'm sure I'll be back for advice in a few weeks/months when I've something up and running.

[edit]
    Stupid question removed, put some thought into my googling this time and got a good explanation straight away. Thanks again.

Advertisement