Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Laguna

Options
  • 28-01-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody,
    I am thinking of buying a 2002 Renault laguna 1.6 Petrol. Anyone have any advice out there about them? Would ye recommend i go ahead and get it? Why/ Why not? They are asking for 5000 for it.

I intend paying 5000 or 6000 for a car, Any recommendations out there?

Any help really appreciated? Any improvement on the crappy peugot 106 i have at the moment would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Quite possibly the most unreliable car of the last decade. Really! Even Renaut top brass admitted this in CAR Magazine a few months back. A 02 should be really crap 'cos they got on top of some of the problems in later years. Pity 'cos they're a nice comfortable old cruiser.

I even saw a neighbours catch fire once (dodgy electrics)...

Look it up on this well-regarded website:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=331&

There's a fella on these boards called 'junkyard' - he's a BIG fan of Renaults though...:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Can everyone stop posting Renault threads, it's really not worth the hassl when certain aspects find them (some only seem to turn up nowadays when the word Renault appears in a thread title) .

In short, save yourslef the bother and head here. http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/read-forum.html

The Alfa threads have even calmed down and resemble resonable discussion nowadays, pity the same cant happen for Renault threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Thanks for the advice. I wont be buying that so. glad i asked before investing. My first time in the motors section, feel free to delete the thread, just a simple question. On my last question what would be a good car to buy for under €7000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

You should be able to buy a good Laguna for well under 5K but you'll come across a fair few bad ones while searching for the good one.

Good car for under 7000 - Ford Focus but then you could get a good Ford Focus for under 5K too as there are so many about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

i found this site helpful for finding out about used cars (i was going to buy an 02 renault lag too til i read bout the probs wit dem)

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/used_car_reviews/

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Can everyone stop posting Renault threads, it's really not worth the hassl when certain aspects find them (some only seem to turn up nowadays when the word Renault appears in a thread title) .

Yeah and some only turn up when someone has to audacity to call a spade-a-spade and point out the well documented fact that the Laguna II is crap to a legendary degree... I have personal exterience of 3 well-speced Renaults (one my late fathers) that gave untold trouble. And yes - one even set itself on fire - not an isolated occurance I later found out! The OP is not a regular on this board, not a car-head and asked a straight question. Why the hell would he would he want to pointed at a forum full of other gluttons for punishment?
    In short, save yourslef the bother and head here. http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/read-forum.html

The Alfa threads have even calmed down and resemble resonable discussion nowadays, pity the same cant happen for Renault threads.

At least Alfas are beautiful and characterful and usually fun to drive - (almost!) worth a bit of hassle! Renaults are dull everyday cars and there are much better alternatives available. You should really find a better brand of car to champion...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Get off your box. When did I champion anything? If you read the post you quoted you'll notice i didnt give an opinion either way on the Laguna or any other Renault. Every Renault thread, including ones that are not asking for advice, draw in this "advice". Threads arent worth the hassle so I directed him to Renaultforums and away from the inevitable rubbish the thread is going to draw. With a bit of looking on your part you'll also see that I have contiributed to a lot of threads here and have actually avoided most Renault threads for the above reasons and hardly only show up for them.

As for everyday cars, theres nearly as many 156's around as corrollas for christ sake. They were nice for the first while but then the world and their mother bought one.
    pburns wrote: »
    Why the hell would he would he want to pointed at a forum full of other gluttons for punishment?

Again, if you actually spend a bit of time readin you'll find that they give very good advice and are very honest about Renault.

I could counter the " I know of crap Renaults" with my own and direct family experience of 10(off the top of my head) Renaults that have given no trouble. I didnt feel the need but seeing as you decided to single me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€5k for a 2002 Laguna is too much. I know someone who sold their low mileage 04 Laguna Mirage with full leather interior recently for €8k. As he found out it is a buyer's market out there, especially regarding the Laguna.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Deedsie wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I wont be buying that so. glad i asked before investing. My first time in the motors section, feel free to delete the thread, just a simple question. On my last question what would be a good car to buy for under €7000?

I just traded in my mint 02 Mondeo zetec with 44k miles.. Could have sold you that and have no worries about it letting you down..
    Whereabouts you from? you might be close to it even to go take a look :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

vectra wrote: »
    I just traded in my mint 02 Mondeo zetec with 44k miles.. Could have sold you that and have no worries about it letting you down..
    Whereabouts you from? you might be close to it even to go take a look :cool:

Im in Tipperary. But id be willing to travel a reasonable distance to look at a good car. How much do you think its being sold for? Whereabouts?

Oh and to the rest of the thread, didnt intend it to cause agro, just wanted a bit of advice before taking the plunge. Cheers for all the advice, very helpful.

• Advertisement

Im in Tipperary. But id be willing to travel a reasonable distance to look at a good car. How much do you think its being sold for? Whereabouts?

Sent you a PM. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Go with a mondeo. Great to drive and very relabile. The zetec is specced really well and the fuel economy is good for the size of the car. You should pick up a really clean car with your budget.

Get off your box. When did I champion anything? If you read the post you quoted you'll notice i didnt give an opinion either way on the Laguna or any other Renault. Every Renault thread, including ones that are not asking for advice, draw in this "advice". Threads arent worth the hassle so I directed him to Renaultforums and away from the inevitable rubbish the thread is going to draw. With a bit of looking on your part you'll also see that I have contiributed to a lot of threads here and have actually avoided most Renault threads for the above reasons and hardly only show up for them.

As for everyday cars, theres nearly as many 156's around as corrollas for christ sake. They were nice for the first while but then the world and their mother bought one.

Again, if you actually spend a bit of time readin you'll find that they give very good advice and are very honest about Renault.

I could counter the " I know of crap Renaults" with my own and direct family experience of 10(off the top of my head) Renaults that have given no trouble. I didnt feel the need but seeing as you decided to single me out.

OK, sorry - I guess I did come off a bit strong. It's just that my experience of Renaults from that era is overwhelmingly negative and the Laguna is a particular low - that is well documented and the OP desrved to be advised of that. In general the more highly speced cars gave most problems so if your family fleet mainly avoided Lagunas and high spec Meganes you may well have escaped without too many problems.

BTW I've driven a Laguna III and the most positive thing I can say is that it probably has the nicest interior of the mass-market brands in this sector and does not suffer from the 'bloat' of the Mondeo. Apparantly Renault have put the Laguna III through particularly exhaustive testing to make sure there are no problems this time. Time will tell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

+1 for the Mondeo. The petrol engines are from Mazda so I'm told, so they will be super reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I would love to get a Laguna, but every time I am changing the my car I do all the usual research and every time the Laguna came out badly. Which a shame, My last car was a Zetec Mondeo, which I have to say was a fine car, had it for 3 years and the only issue was that the fuel pump went a 91K miles, costly enough but I would recommend the Mondeo.

@ OP
    Do yourself a favour
    If you want a reliable imacculate car then go after my mondeo before someone else gets it.
    I would have no hesitation in reccomending it to anyone :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

I am looking at getting a 2005 Laguna ...I read on some reviews (honest John) that the newer models have less problems , anyone any experience of the newer ones , are they as troublesome as the ones referred to earlier in this thread ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't do it. Seriously.

1/. It'll break your heart.
    2/. It'll bust your chops on resale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

Im in Tipperary. But id be willing to travel a reasonable distance to look at a good car.

Sent you a PM

Advertisement