Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension OverFund

Options
  • 28-01-2008 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

My Father has a Director's Retirement Portfolio(Pension) with Davy stockbrokers.
    His Portfolio manager rang him last week to tell him he was overfunded by 50000 and wants his to send a p60 for last year with an increased income.
    My father's accountant believes that if he increase his income for the last 3 years before he retires that this should cover any overfunding.

Will this solve the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

The revenue define Final Remuneration. generally it is based on an employee’s final basic salary plus a 3 years average of their fluctuating emoluments (e.g. bonus or overtime). There are other aspects to look at, is he married, has a spouses pension been included etc. Very unusual to have a portfolio manager notice overfunding I would think.

PS - he might be no longer overfunded following the ups and downs in the market.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Nermal

What happens if you overfund? Does the government take it, or is it refunded to you or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

It depends on whether the overfunding was deliberate or not ! The funds could be used by the Trustees to help defray costs or even to provide benefits for other scheme's employees at the Revenue's instruction or excess funds could be refunded and treated by the company as a trading receipt or the overfunding could be refunded to the member via payroll but subject to both income tax and PRSI). Professional advice should be sought if in doubt.

Advertisement