Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

they wrote it off.

Options
  • 28-01-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭

my car was crashed into over christmas when i left it in a car park while i went away.. we caught the person and there insurance will pay. :) happy days as im getting more than what i paid for it ;)

anyway she said on the phone that i can get the car and then send it to the scrap yard... now the car dosent have much damage and as she said herself it would be too expensive to fix than just give me the cash...

so can i fix the car up myself and sell it on.. or do i have to sell it to a scrap yard?

if i do does any one know a good place that give a few extra euro ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

You could sell it on. But if i'm not mistaken its require by law that you have to tell the potential buyer it was an insurance write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe certain levels of writeoff can never go on the roads again, also doesn't the car actually become the insurers property after a writeoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i asked them this and they said no... but would help me get rid of it.... i said id take it away soon..... even 500 euro would be great :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

There are two types of write off, a physical one where the car is so damaged it cannot be repaired and an economic write off where the cost of the repair exceeds the value of the vehicle. It appears yours is the latter, to the best of my knowledge you are not obliged to inform a potential buyer of this, though you should confirm this yourself.

Generally in this situation if you want to keep the car and repair it or sell it on the salvage value of the car is deducted from any payout so that you are in effect buying the car back.

Remember the idea of insurance is that you are left in the same position after a loss as you were in before it, so if you were to get a payout and be given the car you would essentially be getting the value of the car twice. Firstly the payout is the pre loss value and secondly you get the car.

So there you have it - hope thats not complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

What happens with the write offs is the various breaker yards bid on these written off cars so chances are most off them have already made an offer on your motor to your insurer who is acting for you but you have the final say.

on this basis i dont think a breakers yard will offer you any more. But check into the legality of being able to sell the car on privately.

Can i ask what car it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

its a skoda octavia 1.6 GL 1999 with about 100,000 on it...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

To determine that you car is a write off it will have been seen by an assessor who values it. The insurance company has a pretty realistic idea of what it's worht as scrap or salvage.

I would have thought the pre-loss value of your car wouldn't be very high so you might be best off taking the money and completely forgetting the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

XJR wrote: »
    To determine that you car is a write off it will have been seen by an assessor who values it. The insurance company has a pretty realistic idea of what it's worht as scrap or salvage.

I would have thought the pre-loss value of your car wouldn't be very high so you might be best off taking the money and completely forgetting the car.

Would proabably just forget it too, i dont think you will get any more money.

This same situation happened to me last July and it was easier to get rid of it to scrap. Was my favourite car so didnt want it to go but it would have cost loads to fix and was worth low enough

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

There's a fairly high chance that any scrappy would be able to get a written-off car with not too much damage, repair it for little or nothing due to their stock of spare parts, and sell it on for a tidy profit. Unfortunately unless you too have a good stock of spares you're probably best off letting them buy it and turn a profit on it. Relatively common cars, I'm sure you could pick a decent one up as a replacement and not be too far out of pocket.

Advertisement