Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 Alfa 166 - is this a good price thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

ktc1 wrote: »
    Having followed the recent thread on the 2002 model with interest, I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me what is a fair price for the attached 2004 new shape 166, assuming that it has full dealer service history. Can the €18,500 be haggled down a bit.

Also, is the timing belt problem also an issue for the new shape model.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=767624&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Alfa%20Romeo%20166%2C%20Year%3A%202004%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=35856752&CFTOKEN=69560474

Thanks for any replies.

Hi

I think you'd pay approx £10,000 for a similar 166 from a dealer in UK, though it may be closer to £8,000. Add you exchange rate and VRT which comes to about €4,500 and I think you're looking at a similar price to this. I believe this particular car was for sale in a dealership last year for €23,000 (I could be wrong), so decide yourself from that.

Timing belt is an issue for all TS engines, the facelift has the same engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

'Clarksons favourite saloon car'

Not sure if i entirely agree with that statement.

I think he [clarkson] had the horn for the V6, which is a completely different animal to the 2l twin spark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

As the OP on the other thread, I'd say go for it. Take it out for a spin & follow all the advice I was given in the other thread.

They really are a nice are to drive. The facelift is a lovely looking motor.. and there's very few of them around.

If you like the car, bargain hard - at 18k, it's likely to lose 10k in the next 2 years, so bear that in mind.

I've no regrets at all in buying the 02 one.

Also, I have to say 3PS and the lads on alfaireland.ie are great, so sign up if you're thinking of buying.

Best of luck either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Price is just a little high for a private sale IMO. Would look for it for 1-2k less to be about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

agree with Sandwich....for a private sale you should get it down to about 17k max.

in saying that, this one looks like a minter....I'd be after it myself if I was looking

spotted a 04 black one in Veloces last week for 10k sterling so it would come in for about 18k euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

amazing as that car is (to me) I prefer the older nose.

@ZV Yoda: thanks for the kind words!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

3ps wrote: »
    amazing as that car is (to me) I prefer the older nose.

Same here, i like the old nose, but the facelift model is very nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

Thanks for all the great advice. It's certainly very tempting. I was thinking of getting an 04/05 diesel Mondeo Ghia X from the UK which would have all the toys and be more economical. I have an '01 Zetec at the moment which is a lovely drive, but it's not an Alfa! It's a battle of the head and the heart here. If I could knock a couple of grand off that could go into a contingency fund! I'll keep ye posted if I go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Go for the Alfa - you know you want to!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Go for the Alfa - you know you want to!! :cool:

Get thee behind me Satan.
    Yea, you're right, you only live once
    Get thee behind me Satan.
    Yea you're right, only live once.
    Repeat to fade ........

I won't be in a position to do anything for a couple of weeks, so this might be gone, but I'm sure there'll be other temptations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

nose job for me on the 166...the original looks wrong

Advertisement