Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second level Teacher Recruitment

• 28-01-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Ok so just a couple of questions.

After you get your hdip, What way do you apply for teaching jobs?
    Is it just a matter of Sending Cv's off to different schools or do you get in contact with the department of education?

Does the school principal interview you for a vacant position in a school or is it again the department of education.

Also would your leaving cert Results in the subjects you want to teach, have any effect on getting a job.

Lastly and a bit off topic, are maths teachers in secondary schools in demand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

www.educationposts.ie that link has alot of jobs for both second level and primary level teaching.... www.loadzajobs.ie also advertise teaching positions.... Im not a teacher myself but i know mates of mine just sent out c.v's and a copy of all relevant certificates to schools and different job advertisements.

Can't help you with the maths side of it! but i presume that because it is one of the core subjects that it would be in demand, though maybe not as much as the likes or irish and french...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tgirl

Hi most of the teaching jobs are advertised in the Indo every Thursday and Sunday, It’s a good idea to call around to schools in person jut before Easter hols or while the leaving cert is on with your CV and a cheeky smile to school secretary (who has a considerable influence on hiring and firing.) Also send a CV into your local VEC they are great at keeping CVs on file and calling you back. In secondary schools the CVs can end up lining the compost bin hence it’s worth calling in person..
    Maths is a good teaching subject to have being able to teach higher level maths at leaving cert is a huge advantage

Ok so just a couple of questions.

After you get your hdip, What way do you apply for teaching jobs?
    Is it just a matter of Sending Cv's off to different schools or do you get in contact with the department of education?

Does the school principal interview you for a vacant position in a school or is it again the department of education.

Also would your leaving cert Results in the subjects you want to teach, have any effect on getting a job.

Lastly and a bit off topic, are maths teachers in secondary schools in demand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

tgirl wrote: »
    It’s a good idea to call around to schools in person jut before Easter hols or while the leaving cert is on with your CV and a cheeky smile to school secretary (who has a considerable influence on hiring and firing.)

I've yet to work in a school where the secretary decided who was hired and fired.

To the OP. The subjects you can teach depend on what your degree is in. However don't let that put you off applying for a job where you only have one of the two subjects or two of the three. There maybe no one else out there with the combination either. Eg my subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Agriculture, but I did get offered a Physics job a couple of years ago, as a lot of principals will be of the opinion, they're all sciences. That is a bit of a generalisation but that scenario does exist. Also teachers often get stuff like CSPE, SPHE, Religion and Computers put on their timetables because they're not seen as important as the exam subjects (I know CSPE is an exam subject before someone points it out)

As was already said, scour the Indo on a Thursday and a Sunday, there are often jobs in the Times on a Friday as well. Apply for everything, it can be difficult to get a job your first year out, so don't rule anything out in terms of 'I don't want to live in .......' It might be a lot better than you think. I'm from Limerick and that's what I thought when I got my job in Roscommon and it worked out great.

Calling in to schools with your CV is a good idea, no harm to leave your LC results on your CV but I can't really see it having an influence, your degree is your qualification that's what they'll be interested in.

Interviews can be of a few types. VEC interviews are generally before a panel which can be scary. Three seemed to be the norm for the interviews I have done, but I did one interview (my first one) where there were seven on the panel, and it scared the sh*t out of me. The principal of the school may or may not be involved/present.

It would probably be good to have a few extra curricular activities on your CV more than your LC results. GAA coaching, basketball, football, debating, young scientist, the usual stuff that goes on in schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Have to say the secretary is a hige issue in the past 3 schools I worked in. They binned anyone they disliked. Sad but true. Leaving Cert subjects have no bearing. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 corkbaz

does anyone know if there any secondary school teaching posts being advertised in cork or waterford.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

corkbaz wrote: »
    does anyone know if there any secondary school teaching posts being advertised in cork or waterford.:confused:

The same places as mentioned above, however most Munster jobs are also (and some are only advertised in) the Examiner....usually in the supplement (thursday or Friday, I cant remember).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its Friday in examiner.

Most people post CVs into our place with a suitable coverletter stating their subjects and willingness to sub etc

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭khan86

I am just finishing the PGDE too and am dreading looking for work, partly because I haven't a clue where to start (this is my first year teaching at all) and partly because I am not looking forward to all the rejections and dead ends. I know I sound so negative which I have tried to avoid doing all year just so I could get through the dip but its time to be realistic now.

Which leads me to my question. Is there any point in posting CVs to every school in the country just to get your name out there? I have been getting some conflicting information on this so a few more opinions would be appreciated. The principle in the school I am doing my placement in told us not to waste our time sending our CVs before a job is advertised because they can only interview people who applied for the job after it has been advertised and dated their CV accordingly, therefore in essence you would be applying twice with the first time being pointless. However, my supervisor in college told me to start sending around CVs asap but didn't really specify what the benefit of doing this would be.

I read a piece in the Times a few days ago relating to newly qualifed teachers and their job prospects, this is worth noting in relation to my query:

"Anita Foley has also spent a fortune trying to get work since September. “The Department of Education has issued a standard job application form that’s six pages long. The schools want three copies – most won’t deal with online applications. They also want certs, CVs and a load of paperwork that comes to about €10 an application. I spent thousands of euro on job applications last summer – 300 of them and didn’t get a single reply. I can’t afford to keep looking.”

This is so disheartening and I certainly don't have the money to waste on this if it is going to get me nowhere. When you take into consideration the redeyployment, the outlook for NQT's is grim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

More than likely your first paid position will be doing a few hours somewhere. Call into schools in person and say you are available for any hours at all. Get on VEC panels.

Don't put your hopes on getting a full hours job.

TBH I can't think of a situation (except perhaps a really unusual subject) where I would trawl through CVs looking for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Do drop in CV's to schools.

I use them if I suddenly find that I have a teacher out sick for a period of time and I cannot cover the classes from my usual pool of subs. I will generally contact the local Education Centre to see if they have anyone "on the books", and failing that I will trawl through the CVs to see if anyone has the subjects/qualifications I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

The first thing I'll say is that it isn't always the case that one's first teaching job will be a few hours of this or that. What I think we can say with virtual certainty is that it won't be a permanent job. Jobs with full or close to full hours come up all the time and if you impress, you have every chance. I know teachers often have to put up with less but I'm just giving the other side.

As regards the value of putting your CV out, it depends hugely on the type of school. The VEC and C&C sector must advertise, however principals will always have considerable sway and it's no harm at all paying schools a visit towards the summer particularly if you've heard a rumour that a job might be coming up. Voluntary secondary schools can be a law onto themselves though and, in terms of on spec applications, these are the ones where it can do most use. I have always sent out on spec applications whenever I've been looking and I've definitely got two of the jobs I've held through them.

I get the feeling that the OP here isn't in teacher training because the question seems quite uninformed. However, the composition of the interview panel depends on the type of school. VEC panels will often be the largest with C&C ones similar. You will have representatives of the various groups on the Board of Management and often a Department inspector or subject expert. Voluntary secondary schools can pretty much do as they like: a common composition might be the Principal, Chairperson of the Board of Management, another BOM member (even a parent!) and the senior subject teacher.

The question about LC results is hard to answer. I mean, if you have a degree in a subject that's surely much more important than your Leaving Cert. What I would say is that you need to be able to demonstrate real mastery of how to teach your subject primarily. Beyond that, anything that demonstrates commitment and involvement in your subject area will add to the picture of how competent and enthusiastic you are likely to be.

The main point that nobody's mentioned is that recruitment is completely stalled at present due to the redeployment process. Nobody knows when it will resume and I personally expect pretty much all the new jobs this year to come up in August. There is absolutely no harm in getting your CV out there but expect nothing back in the short term.

Just spotted something interesting on the accs website. The Department is allowing schools to advertise vacancies for next year pending authorisation to fill these from the Director of Redeployment. This is important because it would otherwise have been assumed that no ads would appear until much later in the summer. Time to start keeping an eye on the papers so if you're looking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

linguist wrote: »
    The first thing I'll say is that it isn't always the case that one's first teaching job will be a few hours of this or that. What I think we can say with virtual certainty is that it won't be a permanent job. Jobs with full or close to full hours come up all the time and if you impress, you have every chance. I know teachers often have to put up with less but I'm just giving the other side.

As regards the value of putting your CV out, it depends hugely on the type of school. The VEC and C&C sector must advertise, however principals will always have considerable sway and it's no harm at all paying schools a visit towards the summer particularly if you've heard a rumour that a job might be coming up. Voluntary secondary schools can be a law onto themselves though and, in terms of on spec applications, these are the ones where it can do most use. I have always sent out on spec applications whenever I've been looking and I've definitely got two of the jobs I've held through them.

I get the feeling that the OP here isn't in teacher training because the question seems quite uninformed. However, the composition of the interview panel depends on the type of school. VEC panels will often be the largest with C&C ones similar. You will have representatives of the various groups on the Board of Management and often a Department inspector or subject expert. Voluntary secondary schools can pretty much do as they like: a common composition might be the Principal, Chairperson of the Board of Management, another BOM member (even a parent!) and the senior subject teacher.

The question about LC results is hard to answer. I mean, if you have a degree in a subject that's surely much more important than your Leaving Cert. What I would say is that you need to be able to demonstrate real mastery of how to teach your subject primarily. Beyond that, anything that demonstrates commitment and involvement in your subject area will add to the picture of how competent and enthusiastic you are likely to be.

The main point that nobody's mentioned is that recruitment is completely stalled at present due to the redeployment process. Nobody knows when it will resume and I personally expect pretty much all the new jobs this year to come up in August. There is absolutely no harm in getting your CV out there but expect nothing back in the short term.

I have to agree with Spurious on this one.
    I think that saying jobs with full hours come up all the time is misleading to a NQT.
    There are hundreds upon hundreds of second level teachers on very few hours, in my own school included, not to mention the hundreds who are unemployed.
    I don't mean to come across as negative but rather realistic.
    Anyway, as you have said, I do agree with sending a CV, to VECs in particular. :)

Well career breaks and maternity leaves (which can extend to a full year) are fairly frequent and these give great experience. I'm just thinking of a guy in my own school straight out of training who got 19 hours RPT this year. He's young with few financial commitments and he's delighted with himself! But, I accept fully that these are the exception.

Just out of interest, why do you say VECs in particular? I've always found them to be the most officious - long, formal application forms, sticklers for procedure etc... hence less likely to act on unsolicited CVs. Maybe I'm wrong.

linguist wrote: »
    Well career breaks and maternity leaves (which can extend to a full year) are fairly frequent and these give great experience. I'm just thinking of a guy in my own school straight out of training who got 19 hours RPT this year. He's young with few financial commitments and he's delighted with himself! But, I accept fully that these are the exception.

Just out of interest, why do you say VECs in particular? I've always found them to be the most officious - long, formal application forms, sticklers for procedure etc... hence less likely to act on unsolicited CVs. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, I completely agree with you having worked in the VEC system for the last 10 years.
    However, a lot of the subs in our school this year have got some bits of subbing from from dropping in CVs and getting on the VEC substitutes panel.
    Also, a VEC area can cover a large number of schools in that county/district, therefore you can be called to sub in any of the VEC schools when you're in the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Patricia_

spurious wrote: »
    More than likely your first paid position will be doing a few hours somewhere. Call into schools in person and say you are available for any hours at all. Get on VEC panels.

Don't put your hopes on getting a full hours job.

TBH I can't think of a situation (except perhaps a really unusual subject) where I would trawl through CVs looking for someone.

Can you please elaborate on the VEC panel? Some people say that there is no one panel for Dublin and teachers should just apply for jobs in the areas they are interested in, others told me that I should get on the panel with Dublin City VEC...I also heard that getting in touch with the Community Education Facilitator can help. Is it true? I am in the dark here.

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can only speak for the VEC I work for which is CDVEC.
    The application form is on their website now.
    See here

The more available you are, the better. We have a young woman in our school this year who came in every morning on spec for all of last year, generally picked up a class or two most days, but impressed and got some regular hours plus a maternity leave this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Patricia_

Thank you for the link.

Wow,commitment and hard work pays off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

corkbaz wrote: »

register with the two main teaching sites and they will send you updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

GF is finishing her PGCE in Wales this summer, so along with looking for a job in Ireland there's the added confusion of gaining recognition of her PGCE course and qualifications with the Teaching Council, so if any of you with similar experiences can help me out it'd be much appreciated.

- Should she register with the Teaching Council first or can she go ahead and apply to secondary schools while her PGCE qualification is formalised?

- Ultimately she wants to come home and work permanently - which do you think would be a better career path from an Irish schools perspective? (a) get a job in England for a year and come back with the experience in your pocket or (b) try and stick it out in Ireland subbing and covering whenever you can in the hope that a post opens up while your working there?

I know there's no silver bullet method to getting a career going as a teacher in Ireland nowadays, but if any of you can give me your opinion on the above it'd be great. Thanks a mill...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Electra19

Can somebody/forum moderator please clarify the rules of this forum? My private education company is recruiting online tutors at the moment and we have lots of part-time work for Irish secondary teachers who are either unemployed/part-time. I am a former teacher and had been following the posts here and I understand only too well the frustrations waiting around for substitution work and hoped I could offer something. I posted last night and included a direct link to my website so tutors could check it out and register directly. My post was removed.
    I wasn’t spamming. I thought this forum was about offering help and advice for recruitment of secondary teachers. Is it public sector only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Electra19 wrote: »
    Can somebody/forum moderator please clarify the rules of this forum? My private education company is recruiting online tutors at the moment and we have lots of part-time work for Irish secondary teachers who are either unemployed/part-time. I am a former teacher and had been following the posts here and I understand only too well the frustrations waiting around for substitution work and hoped I could offer something. I posted last night and included a direct link to my website so tutors could check it out and register directly. My post was removed.
    I wasn’t spamming. I thought this forum was about offering help and advice for recruitment of secondary teachers. Is it public sector only?

There is a sticky in this forum where you can post about jobs. You may post there once. In future please do not comment on forum issues on-thread. You should PM a mod if you have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Hi all,

Just a quick question, how do I get on a VEC panel. I have already applied for VEC'S for specific teaching posts that were advertised and there was an application form to fill out.

Can I just send in my CV to local VEC's and hope I will get a call or do I have to wait and apply to advertised posts?

I really would appreciate advice as I am a NQT and really hope to find something.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭caroline72

Leaving Cert subjects have no bearing.

Completely disagree- and experienced this at an interview yesterday. I got very high points in the leaving, and the principal commented on this, stating that I could have done pretty much anything else, did I always want to do teaching. Was proof that I always wanted to do teaching and they appreciate this,rather than someone just falling into the career because there was nothing else to do- harsh but true! He stated that that was what he was interested in- people who were generally interested in the vocation- not that this can't be proved in other ways, but my results were an advantage in this case.

caroline72 wrote: »
    Completely disagree- and experienced this at an interview yesterday. I got very high points in the leaving, and the principal commented on this, stating that I could have done pretty much anything else, did I always want to do teaching. Was proof that I always wanted to do teaching and they appreciate this,rather than someone just falling into the career because there was nothing else to do- harsh but true! He stated that that was what he was interested in- people who were generally interested in the vocation- not that this can't be proved in other ways, but my results were an advantage in this case.

I have never done an interview where my Leaving Cert subjects/results were discussed and I'm teaching a while now. I don't believe excellent Leaving Cert results = an excellent teacher.

On your other point, many principals as well as (excellent)teachers do not see the job as a vocation.

I don't believe good lcert results equal an excellent teacher either. Academic excellence does not equal an ability to convey information clearly to a student, nor does it mean that you are capable of managing a class successfully or relating to young people/

The slant I am taking, and it is from my personal experience in interviews only and of course I cannot count for your personal experience, is that the principal took it to show that teaching is what I always wanted to do (which it is) as I could have chosen a different career, further proving that I did not 'fall into' teaching because I had no other choice, as is the case for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'd imagine that plenty of people who 'fall' into teaching got high enough results to do plenty of other things. Even people who got high results don't know what they want to do with their lives. It doesn't prove that they really wanted to teach.

just differentiating between people who actually want to do the job, and those who don't like it, don't want to do it and only do it as a means to make money.

I don't believe good lcert results equal an excellent teacher either. Academic excellence does not equal an ability to convey information clearly to a student, nor does it mean that you are capable of managing a class successfully or relating to young people/

The slant I am taking, and it is from my personal experience in interviews only and of course I cannot count for your personal experience, is that the principal took it to show that teaching is what I always wanted to do (which it is) as I could have chosen a different career, further proving that I did not 'fall into' teaching because I had no other choice, as is the case for some people.

I still don't understand your need to differentiate between someone who has always wanted to teach,(myself included) and people who have not gone straight into teaching. :confused:

Some principals take a completely different stance on people who have "fallen into teaching".
    They can see a person who has left a different career and sacrificed a lot to do 4 years of studying while raising a family etc.. as a really good candidate.
    They will have a wealth of life experience and have obviously not taken the decision to go into teaching lightly.
    Because you have always wanted to teach does not earn you extra brownie points against someone who may have changed career paths. You are mistaken if you think it does.
    Not everyone who has "fallen into teaching" has done so because there was "nothing else to do".
    If you do manage to secure a job in teaching, you will work with people from all walks of life who have become teachers through many different ways/paths. It does not make them any less of a teacher whether they have gone to college as a 17 year old straight out of school or a 47 year old who wants to change careers.

• Advertisement

just differentiating between people who actually want to do the job, and those who don't like it, don't want to do it and only do it as a means to make money.

You haven't researched the salary scales very well if you think teachers are only in it to make money. :confused:

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, by 'falling' into teaching, I do not mean someone who changed career path down the line, and chose teaching as their preferred career. I'd be very narrow minded if that was the case!!

I mean someone who did a degree, found there was nothing else to do and went into teaching although they do not want to be a teacher.

I am thinking in particular of two people who qualified with me. On completing their degree, they found that because of a recession, they could not get a job in their desired field. To avoid being on the dole for the year, they went back to college to do the dip just because they could (right thing to do to go back and do a course instead of sitting at home.)

THese people do not enjoy the job and do not want to be teachers. however, because they still cannot get a job in their desired fields, and because they do not want to *waste* the PGDE, they are applying for jobs and succeeding in interviews.

In my opinion, if a teacher does not enjoy the job and does not want to be a teacher, then this is damaging to schools and students.

Who wants to be taught by someone who doesn't want to be there and has no interest in how well they do????

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    You haven't researched the salary scales very well if you think teachers are only in it to make money. :confused:

see my above post-for some people who do not want to be teachers, I think they're right to think that making money from teaching is better than sitting on the dole as they cannot get a job in their desired areas!!
    If you do manage to secure a job in teaching, you will work with people from all walks of life who have become teachers through many different ways/paths.

I 'managed' to get that job....;)and in my three years teaching,surprisingly I have met people in different situations to me-shocker :rolleyes:

see my above post-for some people who do not want to be teachers, I think they're right to think that making money from teaching is better than sitting on the dole as they cannot get a job in their desired areas!!

I 'managed' to get that job....;)and in my three years teaching,surprisingly I have met people in different situations to me-shocker :rolleyes:

Well done. :) . Must have been them excellent Leaving Cert results. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, by 'falling' into teaching, I do not mean someone who changed career path down the line, and chose teaching as their preferred career. I'd be very narrow minded if that was the case!!

I mean someone who did a degree, found there was nothing else to do and went into teaching although they do not want to be a teacher.

I am thinking in particular of two people who qualified with me. On completing their degree, they found that because of a recession, they could not get a job in their desired field. To avoid being on the dole for the year, they went back to college to do the dip just because they could (right thing to do to go back and do a course instead of sitting at home.)

THese people do not enjoy the job and do not want to be teachers. however, because they still cannot get a job in their desired fields, and because they do not want to *waste* the PGDE, they are applying for jobs and succeeding in interviews.

In my opinion, if a teacher does not enjoy the job and does not want to be a teacher, then this is damaging to schools and students.

Who wants to be taught by someone who doesn't want to be there and has no interest in how well they do????

To go back to your original point which was the fact that you got a good LC, so the fact that you wanted to teach was genuine as you could have done something else. Most of the high scoring students in my college class, and there were about 30 of us in a BSc. Science Education, did not having teaching as their first choice. It wasn't even their second. Plenty of them had 500+ points in the LC, but had Dentistry/Medicine/Physiotherapy etc etc down and for a a lot of them it was a case of 'Oh what other profession can I stick down on the CAO, if I don't get my first choice, I know I'll be a teacher' and had it way down their list. Many of them took it because it was their repeat LC year and they weren't going to sit the LC again.

Some of them despite coming into the course with the best leaving cert results in the class ended up bottom of the class at graduation, they had so little interest.

There were also a few students in my class who had originally applied for PE teaching but didn't get the points and ended up in science. Granted they had still wanted to teach, but they wanted a totally different subject. I can think of another girl who was in Woodwork teaching (and is a woodwork teacher today) who had Medicine as her first choice.

Anyway LC points are not an indiactor that the person always wanted to teach. Some people still fall into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fintan109

Can anyone tell me in relation to applying to VEC's and being kept on file - Is it just a matter of posting the CV to the VEC and if so who should the cover letter be addressed to??

Regarding sending in CV's to non-VEC secondary schools that haven't advertised a job but in the hope of them having something coming up in the future, is there a point sending them in to such schools now - its just I know a lot of schools close and principals take July off????

And last question, when sending in CV's on the off chance of getting a job, is there a point in sending them to the VEC schools, given the local VEC decides who is/not employed in the long run there?

• Advertisement

fintan109 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me in relation to applying to VEC's and being kept on file - Is it just a matter of posting the CV to the VEC and if so who should the cover letter be addressed to??

Regarding sending in CV's to non-VEC secondary schools that haven't advertised a job but in the hope of them having something coming up in the future, is there a point sending them in to such schools now - its just I know a lot of schools close and principals take July off????

And last question, when sending in CV's on the off chance of getting a job, is there a point in sending them to the VEC schools, given the local VEC decides who is/not employed in the long run there?

1. You can address your CV to the HR Dept. at X VEC. Some VECs have a specific application form for casual subbing which you will need to fill out and submit. The forms can usually be downloaded online.

2. Not all principals take July off.

3. I know teachers that have dropped their CVs into our principal and have gotten subbing days out of it, name is on file, very easy for the deputy principal to make a quick call when a teacher is out sick. So no harm in sending them. That said, it will be only subbing you will get as opposed to a "job". Also, our VEC really tightened up on subbing this year.

To go back to your original point which was the fact that you got a good LC, so the fact that you wanted to teach was genuine as you could have done something else. Most of the high scoring students in my college class, and there were about 30 of us in a BSc. Science Education, did not having teaching as their first choice. It wasn't even their second. Plenty of them had 500+ points in the LC, but had Dentistry/Medicine/Physiotherapy etc etc down and for a a lot of them it was a case of 'Oh what other profession can I stick down on the CAO, if I don't get my first choice, I know I'll be a teacher' and had it way down their list. Many of them took it because it was their repeat LC year and they weren't going to sit the LC again.

Some of them despite coming into the course with the best leaving cert results in the class ended up bottom of the class at graduation, they had so little interest.

There were also a few students in my class who had originally applied for PE teaching but didn't get the points and ended up in science. Granted they had still wanted to teach, but they wanted a totally different subject. I can think of another girl who was in Woodwork teaching (and is a woodwork teacher today) who had Medicine as her first choice.

Anyway LC points are not an indiactor that the person always wanted to teach. Some people still fall into it.

as I said,all scenarios are different and I talked about *my* particular case and my personal experience. Don't think a sweeping statement that they never matter or they always matter is valid, every single case is different,as I said from the start.;)

as I said,all scenarios are different and I talked about *my* particular case and my personal experience. Don't think a sweeping statement that they never matter or they always matter is valid, every single case is different,as I said from the start.;)

Just don't tell your new colleagues in the staffroom about *your* "particular case" , that you got the job because of your excellent Leving Cert results and your vocation for teaching. ;)

Just don't tell your new colleagues in the staffroom about *your* "particular case" , that you got the job because of your excellent Leving Cert results and your vocation for teaching. ;)

do ur students find u that patronising too :D

do ur students find u that patronising too :D

Of course not, thankfully, I have a great relationship with my students.
    Only offering some friendly advice in jest.;)
    Best of luck with the new job. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement