Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Oral!!!

Options
  • 28-01-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

hey im doing my french mock oral this week and im just wondering if any tips on pronunciation especially in the present and past tense. ie how is je suis travaille pronunced in cpmparison with je travaille?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It'd be "J'ai travaillé" if you're talking about passé composé. Only reflexive verbs or some particulars (generally relating to movement) are conjugated with etre in the passé composé.

I'm not a french speaker so this'll be far from perfect, but...

"J'ai" is pronounced like "Jay", well the J is sorta soft...
    "Je" is more like "Juh".
    Travaille would normally be like "trah-v'eye", you don't pronounce the e at the end (pronounce the double l like a y), whereas travaillé for the past tense would be "trah-v'eye-ey"... Yeah. I fail phonetics.

Just remember not to respond with the pronunciation in the question.. generally they'll put it to you in the formal second person, so "Vous travaillez?" or whatever, which will be pronouncing the "ez" as an "ey", but in the present tense you'll be giving back "je travaille" which as I said doesn't pronounce the final e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement