Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

promotional kit at vs2008 launch

Options
  • 28-01-2008 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

MS are launching vs 2008, mssql server 2008 and ms server 2008 at tripod.
    They are giving a promotional kit containing versions of the three products to people who attend.
    What sort of licences do tou think they'll give?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The express editions would be quite funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

yeah I don't know why they are being vague if they giving full licences.
    I don't see how they would have an express version of windows server however.
    Could be eveluation editions though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Didn't see server actually. Didn't they give away a free version of vista or office not to long ago for registering to some event? If so maybe they are full versions.

I emailed and got a prompt response.

The following licences are included:

· Vista Ultimate Edition with SP1 + subscription to OneCare.
    · Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition.
    · SQL Server 2008 CTP 5.0 plus a voucher for the full release of SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition when available later in the year.
    · Windows Server 2008 Enterprise (64 + 32bit) for internal testing & evaluation only.

w00t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Hmm, Ireland gets a lot more than Australia. Here the visual studio is only a 90day trial and there is no mention of Vista :(. Is it a free or pay even in Ireland? Costs $199 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

How do you register to attend this?

Here's more info: http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/events/default.mspx

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

but hasnt sql server 2008 been delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Is this the list of events that are referred to here? Just wondering about registering for them is all

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

JohnK wrote: »

That has the same events that I linked to, so I'm reasonably confident in the 2 pages, especially since your says you get the versions upon leaving too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I believe there are just 150 places for the event and last time I checked (a few days ago) it was up to about 105 or so. There are some earlier events due to happen with the technology user groups around the country. Link below.

http://blogs.msdn.com/clare_dillon/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well I just regged using John K's link for the 18:00 - 20:00 slot so seems like there's still some spots left. (unless I got the last :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Registered for the 15.00 session.. should be interesting enough to see whats going on with 2008. and if the licenses are actually full versions then ill be well impressed!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I just signed up - 137 out of 150

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

JohnK wrote: »

I can't make it to the Dublin one, I don't think you get the free software at the Community Launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well according to Clare Dillons Blog post (Marketing manager - Developer & Platform Group if I remember rightly)

"These technical events will include content for both IT Professionals and Developers and will run from 2pm to 8:30pm. You can be sure there will also be some great launch goodies for attendees as well as a good old celebration after the event itself! :)"

So I would hope there would be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Signed up for this one, at least its related to my job so should be interesting to see whats happening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

pwd wrote: »
    The following licences are included:
    · Vista Ultimate Edition with SP1 + subscription to OneCare.
    w00t
    So, can anyone confirm if Vista is included? http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055226915 seems to indicate its just Windows Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 & Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (although its still nice)

Signed up as well to the 18:00 one there, so there are still places left. Hopefully there will be some goodies too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

booked for the 15:00 Showcase, looking forward to it now :) cheers for the heads-up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mabeaver

Just got back from the Cardiff Launch and I can confirm the Licences for the following are only valid for 356 day evaluation.
    • Windows Vista Ultimate inc SP1
    • Windows Server 2008 Standard
    Looks like Visual Studio 2008 Standard with MSDN library might be the full version.

Onecare is a 90 day Evaluation.

darn it, didn't realise you needed to register your pin for free sql server several months before it was released

Advertisement