Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting poll in todays Irish Times

Options
  • 28-01-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Looks like all the pro hunting forums are linking to the fox hunting poll in todays Irish Times to get a yes vote,

http://www.ireland.com/head2head/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've voted YES to ban fox hunting, I don't want to see those cruel fox hunters using this poll to justify fox hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Thanks for the notification

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Posting in multiple fora for attention is frowned upon, and diverts attention from the issue. The thread getting a debate going is in the Hunting forum, here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Posting in multiple fora for attention is frowned upon, and diverts attention from the issue. The thread getting a debate going is in the Hunting forum, here

The pro hunters had a good run in on early voting, I'm happy that I could put this subject in front of neutral people. I have not been on that forum much but to see the following pictures nearly made me physically sick. Even neanderthals killed for food, not "sport".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54769066&postcount=404

Darlin', if they voted on it, they're not neutral, it's kinda the point.

Mm, would you rather countless gamebirds, small animals and livestock were killed rather than the vermin, whose numbers are on the increase constantly?

It's a lot of dead things, which is shocking to people who don't understand what a sterling display of pest control it is, but if you read on the forum, as you should, as I'm sure you don't want to make a decision in ignorance, you will quickly be educated on the need for vermin control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

There's no need to be condescending about it Itwasn't me.
    We are entitled to talk/debate about foxhunting here if we want to. I agree with DonJose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

As i say, ppl that dont know the facts of some thing are always the loudest with an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Darlin', if they voted on it, they're not neutral, it's kinda the point.

Mm, would you rather countless gamebirds, small animals and livestock were killed rather than the vermin, whose numbers are on the increase constantly?

It's a lot of dead things, which is shocking to people who don't understand what a sterling display of pest control it is, but if you read on the forum, as you should, as I'm sure you don't want to make a decision in ignorance, you will quickly be educated on the need for vermin control.

I dont think don "ace ventura" jose has an answer to that one.....
    i dont think he really knows what he's talking about, the poor oul divil. ;)

tallus wrote: »
    There's no need to be condescending about it Itwasn't me.
    We are entitled to talk/debate about foxhunting here if we want to. I agree with DonJose.

Condescension aside, I don't like the "heartless monsters" attitude adopted by those trying to make hunters feel bad for their sport. If it's not condescending, I don't know what is, and I'm less than appreciative of ignorant, ill-informed opinions which can harm my sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Condescension aside, I don't like the "heartless monsters" attitude adopted by those trying to make hunters feel bad for their sport. If it's not condescending, I don't know what is, and I'm less than appreciative of ignorant, ill-informed opinions which can harm my sport.

Ahh ...there ...you see, that's the real issue:

SPORT

according to Wikipedia:
    Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

I can see that there may be a need to control the population of foxes, I can also see that it is fun to gallop on horseback through difficult terrain with a group of likeminded people.

What I can't agree with though is that it is "fun" or "sport" to witness the fox run down to exhaustion and in the end killed and torn to pieces by dogs ..."natural" as that may be.

What's wrong with killing the foxes humanely and having a drag hunt instead?

• Advertisement

It all contributes to vermin control. Also, what's the wikipedia definition got to do with anything? It certainly doesn't disqualify any aspect of hunting from classification as a sport. If anything, it reaffirms it.

Also, the fox is killed humanely. Dogs break the neck of their intended kill as a priority, to minimise danger to themselves.

The wikipedia definition?

Well as I see it the only "competitors" in the "sport" of fox hunting are the dogs and the fox. One of these parties either wins or loses.

You self professed "sports" men and women who chase after the competitors on horseback are not partaking in the sport ...you're just the audience.

So, for the hunters, the "sport" is the chase through the countryside ...that could easily be accomplished without the cruelty of having an animal stressed and most likely killed, couldn't it? :D

And if you really wanted to "control" vermin (and not just use this as weak justification for your so called "sport"), you'd "control" it in a way that would make sure of the result and not leave it to dogs who could just as easily loose the fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't know why the pro-hunting people are bothering to argue with anyone here - you can hardly expect to be love-bombed! Neither will you change anyone's mind by telling anyone who is anti-hunting that they are ignorant.

I'm fully familiar with the facts, and am still against it - and I do recognise that a lot of emotive language is used - ON BOTH SIDES - which isn't helpful to the debate.

I believe it is immoral to hunt as a sport. Yes, I recognise the need for vermin control and I have no problem with that. Yes, I know animals eat other animals - I have no problem with that either.

I do have a problem with killing animals for the craic.

Those on-line polls are useless anyway - everyone knows they are easily manipulated by a campaign.

Also, the fox is killed humanely. Dogs break the neck of their intended kill as a priority, to minimise danger to themselves.

Ahh yes, thanks for that ...

Not only are you expecting the fox to be stressed and most likely killed, you also knowlingy factor the odd injured dog into the calculations, just so that you "sports" men and women can have a fun day out.
    (never mind the odd horse that mightn't make that difficult jump)

Sorry ...but to my mind that just boils down to one thing on the bottom line and that's animal cruelty.

Plain and simple ....and unjustifiable

Most likely? About one in ten hunts ends in a dead fox, some significantly less. And no, I wasn't factoring in injured dogs, I was pointing out the hunting technique employed by dogs, with the view to pointing out that the fox dies quickly.

Should only people who don't enjoy hunting and killing animals be allowed do it? Should hunters stop taking pride in good riding skill, talented manipulation of a hunt and pack of hounds, presence of mind, or, on the other side, excellent shooting?

Most likely? About one in ten hunts ends in a dead fox, some significantly less.

So much for "vermin control" then, eyh ? :p:p:p
    Should hunters stop taking pride in good riding skill, talented manipulation of a hunt and pack of hounds, presence of mind, or, on the other side, excellent shooting?

All sorts of equestrian sports cover good riding skills
    You can manipulate/organise people on a daily basis if you like and you could take your dogs to agility or obedience trials if that's what you're after.
    As for shooting ...there's always the shooting range and target practice.

...all things you can take pride in and that don't (usually) involve animal cruelty

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Should only people who don't enjoy xxxxxxxx killing animals be allowed do it?

Yes.

peasant wrote: »
    So much for "vermin control" then, eyh ? :p:p:p

All sorts of equestrian sports cover good riding skills
    You can manipulate/organise people on a daily basis if you like and you could take your dogs to agility or obedience trials if that's what you're after.
    As for shooting ...there's always the shooting range and target practice.

...all things you can take pride in and that don't (usually) involve animal cruelty

It contributes to effective vermin control, albeit a small part of it. For every fox killed by dogs, hundreds are shot every week. Some want to hunt, and should be allowed. Shooting couldn't be more humane in terms of a kill, and the pride is in the effectiveness. No paper target will ever match it. Sure, you can do all the other things separately as you say, but nobody will enjoy it half as much.
    MsFifers wrote: »
    Yes.

Good luck with that. Who's going to do it if people who aren't interested in making a good practice of it aren't? If someone's doesn't want to do it, why should they? And if someone doesn't want to do it, and this is the dangerous part, they're not likely to spend hours practising drilling holes through paper to make sure they're an effective killer when the time comes.

It contributes to effective vermin control, albeit a small part of it. For every fox killed by dogs, hundreds are shot every week.

Thank you!

End of debate ...you've just proven (and conceded to) the point that foxhunting (the dog-pack/horseback version) is pointless.

It can therefore be classified as what it is ...an act of needless animal cruelty that should be banned.

I rest my case.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

What I can't agree with though is that it is "fun" or "sport" to witness the fox run down to exhaustion and in the end killed and torn to pieces by dogs ..."natural" as that may be.

Peasant, the hounds persuing the quarry are way up front while the majority of the field are way back. So its not about watching a fox that has already been killed been eaten by the hounds. If a rider is upfront they get to watch the hunt staff work the hounds which there is a lot of skill involved in. A hunt will chase more than one fox as they are very smart buggers who use all sort of tricks to get away

Whats wrong with having fox hunting as well as shooting them?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

A lot of people have a problem with the end result and the nature of the death of the fox. Ever see a terrier man at work? Its not pleasant.

Digging of earths is entirely separate to the sport of mounted fox hunting, and is a purely practical exercise.

If a good shooter kills a fox, the fox will never hear the shot that killed it.
    That is humane vermin control.

Being chased by lots and lots of dogs to exhaustion and possibly death is cruelty.

Simple as that.

But it gets compounded by the fact that this is done needlessly and for entertainment/enjoyment ...that's just plain wrong.

Thank you!

End of debate ...you've just proven (and conceded to) the point that foxhunting (the dog-pack/horseback version) is pointless.

It can therefore be classified as what it is ...an act of needless animal cruelty that should be banned.

I rest my case.

:D:D:D:D:D

No, I did no such thing. I said it's a contributing part of vermin control, and since the allegations of mindless cruelty are false, why should it be stopped? There has to be a reason other than the delicate sensibilities of people who don't inform themselves of the facts of the matter.

Digging of earths is entirely separate to the sport of mounted fox hunting, and is a purely practical exercise.

After drinking some brandy, chasing it for miles in silly costumes? Really practical. The Fox Hunt I know have a terrier man. His dogs go to ground with the help of his shovel at the end of some hunts. The fox doesn't have a hope at this stage.

No, I did no such thing. I said it's a contributing part of vermin control

Rentakil have a new uniform, red blazer and a buggle!

No, I did no such thing. I said it's a contributing part of vermin control, and since the allegations of mindless cruelty are false, why should it be stopped? There has to be a reason other than the delicate sensibilities of people who don't inform themselves of the facts of the matter.

Keep up with the discussion, will ya...

Other than a nice social get-together your main argument for foxhunting (the horseback variety) was vermin control. You then admitted that only one in ten (or less) foxhunts result in a dead fox ...so as vermin control it is a pointless excercise.

But even if the fox isn't killed it gets chased by a pack of its mortal enemies, putting it under severe stress. Knowingly inflicting severe stress on an animal to my mind is CRUELTY.

So ..foxhunting is ineffective AND cruel.

I'd say ban it.

got it now?

Nope. Didn't know any hunts performed digs at the end, but if they do, what's the problem? I mean, it makes it a more effective form of vermin control.

The thing is, nature isn't nice. Old foxes die because they can't move as fast, their teeth aren't much use, and they die of starvation. Hunts don't allow this to happen, as they will generally only catch old and sick foxes.

In a hunt, the fox has a chance to get away, but if it doesn't, you complain. A rifle doesn't leave the fox much chance either.

I'll repeat my question from earlier:

• Advertisement

But the foxes are killed humanely, so what's wrong with leaving things as are? :) It's those opposed who have to justify it to have it banned, so I'm not the one on the stand here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement