Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting poll in todays Irish Times

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Hellrazer wrote: »
    All I keep hearing is that its for "vermin control" which is bull****.And we "dont hunt for pleasure" which is more bull****.

Thats your opinion. I hunt because i enjoy it but also becuase of vermin control. But i've said that as much as i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

togster wrote: »
    Thats your opinion. I hunt because i enjoy it but also becuase of vermin control. But i've said that as much as i can.

Good because your talking nonsense, and your done with me so wont reply-:D

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I hunt because i enjoy it

You see this is the part that I have the problem with--How anyone can openly say that they "enjoy" killing a defenceless animal is beyond me.

I just dont get it.If it was for vermin control then fine,if it was for food then fine.

I just feel that those who do it for fun and post pics up on websites for all to see have something wrong with them.

My 9 year old came across the "post your pics of dead animals that you shot here" thread and it took hours to calm her down.I feel that thread should deleted or put in a private forum.

You see this is the part that I have the problem with--How anyone can openly say that they "enjoy" killing a defenceless animal is beyond me.

I just dont get it.If it was for vermin control then fine,if it was for food then fine.

I just feel that those who do it for fun and post pics up on websites for all to see have something wrong with them.

My 9 year old came across the "post your pics of dead animals that you shot here" thread and it took hours to calm her down.I feel that thread should deleted or put in a private forum.

Agreed, paedophiles enjoy molesting children-but this does not make it right, they have a sickness and thank god its illegal, when fox hunting is banned these sicko's will have to face the law too. civilised society has to stop this torture of any animal, if they need culling, make it humane and not "FUN"

You selected part of my post. I said i hunted because i enjoyed it and because of vermin control. So its OK to hunt as long as we don't enjoy it?

I don't really know what this has to do with the discussion in here.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    Agreed, paedophiles enjoy molesting children-but this does not make it right, they have a sickness and thank god its illegal, when fox hunting is banned these sicko's will have to face the law too. civilised society has to stop this torture of any animal, if they need culling, make it humane and not "FUN"

Are you equating what i do to what a paedophile does? Its an animal for god sake, you need to understand that. NOT A CHILD.

Do you really think that if a ban is implemented here, that the government are going to provide guards to police every hunt?

Are you equating what i do to what a paedophile does? Its an animal for god sake, you need to understand that. NOT A CHILD.

YES-both get satifaction from abusing a weaker beings and are both sick minded gaining mental satisfaction from the abuse they do, oh i thought you where finished with me???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You selected part of my post. I said i hunted because i enjoyed it and because of vermin control. So its OK to hunt as long as we don't enjoy it?

I selected part of your post because as I stated in my reply that "this is the part I have the problem with" if you want to go back and read the post again.

I would agree whole heartedly with it if it was just for vermin control or food.

As for the bit about the websites--it has a lot to do with the discussion at hand because it demonstrates that hunting is not just for vermin control but is used as a so called "sport" where hunters can show off their great prowess at killing a defenceless animal with a high powered rifle.

All arguments for it being just for "vermin control" go out the window by looking at that thread.

YES-both get satifaction from abusing a weaker beings and are both sick minded gaining mental satisfaction from the abuse they do, oh i thought you where finished with me???

I am not sick minded. Its not the first time you have attempted to abuse me in this thread. Jesus can you please read what i write....i do not get mental satisfaction from watching an animal die. Do you get it?

By the way a fox is not a human in case you have missed that. You really need to chill out.

I would agree whole heartedly with it if it was just for vermin control or food.

So its acceptable to hunt with hounds as long as it is purely for vermin control. good to know.

As for the bit about the websites--it has a lot to do with the discussion at hand because it demonstrates that hunting is not just for vermin control but is used as a so called "sport" where hunters can show off their great prowess at killing a defenceless animal with a high powered rifle.

But this is about fox-hunting is it not?

• Advertisement

I am not sick minded. Its not the first time you have attempted to abuse me in this thread. Jesus can you please read what i write....i do not get mental satisfaction from watching an animal die. Do you get it?

By the way a fox is not a human in case you have missed that. You really need to chill out.

You have stated many times you enjoy it, animal abuse is awful aswell as child abuse, you need to have a sick mind to want to abuse either in my opinion, i never abused you, im just stating my opinion. and im not bothered if it hurts your sensitive soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

i do not get mental satisfaction from watching an animal die.

What do you get from it?

Naturally you are entitled to your opinion but I think it's optimistic in the extreme for you to air your views in an animals and pets forum and expect anything but utter disgust for the practice you deem 'sport'. It quite simply isn't and personally speaking there is little point in your protestations to the contrary because it's unlikely you will get any hearing amongst genuine animal lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

WOW - this conversation has gotten crazy!

My own personal opinion on hunting is if it needs to be done - it should be done humanely. I am not anti hunting, but I am certainly not pro hunting. If all hunters were responsible about things then there may be less of a problem. For example, earlier in the conversation it was brought up about the state some dogs are kept in, witnessed first hand by EGAR. It was shot down by a comment like "I've seen more than you" Yes I would imagine that it is the minority of dogs that this happens to but the fact it happens and the fact that other hunters must know about it,and perhaps turn a blind eye is unforgiveable. If these people were reported then I think a bit more respect would come from the non-hunting community. I know that is probably not a very good example but what I mean is if acts of unnecessary cruelty are not tolerated by other hunters, people might be more accepting. (I feel the same about greyhound racing/horse racing - any sport involving animals really).

Out of interest, is there a body which governs the hunts? Do you need some sort of license? If a fox runs over land you are not allowed on, is it common practise to trespass, and what are the legal implications if you do? Is it common practise to dig the fox up? About how many foxes are killed by hunts every year? If a dog gets badly injured- out on the hunt, what usually happens? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

By the way a fox is not a human in case you have missed that.

Correct, a fox is not human.

But it is a fellow living being, sentient, with individual personality and behaviour.

It deserves our respect and to be treated with dignity.

Chasing it down with dozens of hounds or digging it out with terriers and shovels is neither respectful nor dignified.

So its acceptable to hunt with hounds as long as it is purely for vermin control. good to know.

Nope-Hound hunting is never for vermin control despite what you lot say.Its all about "the day out"

But this is about fox-hunting is it not?
    I havent looked at more than one or two pages of that thread but maybe you can enlighten us--Is there pictures of Foxes blown to bits on it??

Out of interest, is there a body which governs the hunts? Do you need some sort of license? If a fox runs over land you are not allowed on, is it common practise to trespass, and what are the legal implications if you do? Is it common practise to dig the fox up? About how many foxes are killed by hunts every year? If a dog gets badly injured- out on the hunt, what usually happens? Thanks.

The IMFHA governs hunts. Yes you need to register your pack. It is not common practice to tress-pass on the land. I don't know of the legal implications. I don't know how many foxes are killed each year by hunts. It is not common practice to dig up a fox. Actually it is frowned upon. It depends on the injury what course of action will be taken. I know we have a vet on our staff who treats any of our injured hounds.

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    hearing amongst genuine animal lovers.

Who decides who and who is not a genuine animal lover? I love my horses and dogs and cats. They are mine. But they are animals. And i treat them accordingly.

peasant wrote: »

Chasing it down with dozens of hounds or digging it out with terriers and shovels is neither respectful nor dignified.

Thats your opinion.

Nope-Hound hunting is never for vermin control despite what you lot say.

I thought you said different a minute ago. Apologies.
    I havent looked at more than one or two pages of that thread but maybe you can enlighten us--Is there pictures of Foxes blown to bits on it??

I didn't realise you were talking about the thread on boards. I have never looked at it tbh. Although i still fail to see the relevance of it here. Perhaps in feedback?

You've done the last 4 posts, thats trolling and your not new to boards so know this..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Who decides who and who is not a genuine animal lover? I love my horses and dogs and cats. They are mine. But they are animals. And i treat them accordingly.

I don't believe anyone who engages in a sport where the ultimate aim is the death of an animal is an animal lover. My opinion. To claim oneself an animal lover while taking part in hunting is hypocrisy (sp?).

You are obviously entitled to your opinion on this but I'm sorry you won't get an inch from me. Like I said previously should you like to debate this with people who are more likeminded maybe this isn't the best place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks togster, glad to know the fox is not usually dug up, when I heard that I was bit shocked as I assumed the "fun" of it was in the chase.

Is it usual to have a vet there for the dogs? And is there a way we could find out the numbers. I'm not taking a dig but in fairness if fox hunting is a conservation sport I assume the numbers killed are available if I went looking for them?

I see you declined to comment on my reporting unnecessary cruelty part of that post so I will ask outright, Hunters - if you know of a fellow hunter who you are sure mistreats his pack do you report him/her?

You've done the last 4 posts, thats trolling and your not new to boards so know this..

No i wasn't trolling. i was trying to repond to each post individually and i have yet to figure out how to do that in one post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I love my horses and dogs and cats. They are mine. But they are animals. And i treat them accordingly.

What does that mean exactly? If you "own" an animal you treat it kindly, and if you don't you can terrorise it?

Would you let your dogs chase and try to kill a stray cat? If not - why not? Because it would be cruel?

There is no logic to your arguments.

MsFifers wrote: »
    What does that mean exactly? If you "own" an animal you treat it kindly, and if you don't you can terrorise it?

Would you let your dogs chase and try to kill a stray cat? If not - why not? Because it would be cruel?

Well said, that is so true.

Is it usual to have a vet there for the dogs? And is there a way we could find out the numbers. I'm not taking a dig but in fairness if fox hunting is a conservation sport I assume the numbers killed are available if I went looking for them?

Thanks for your reply Helena. I know many vets hunt with many packs. I know our vet carries a little first aid pack with her. I don't know about the numbers part tbh! Im sure each hunt has their own records.
    I see you declined to comment on my reporting unnecessary cruelty part of that post so I will ask outright, Hunters - if you know of a fellow hunter who you are sure mistreats his pack do you report him/her?

Sorry i wasn't trying to evade your question...i simply missed it. First of (not trying to be smart!) a huntsman usually looks after the pack or indeed a kenelsman. I have never seen hounds improperly treated so i have never had to report anyone. But to answer your question i have reported people who have kept horses,dogs,shee,cows in the past so i would not hesitate to do the same agian.
    Theres bad eggs in every walk of life.

I didn't mean that to sound that way.

No.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

OK.

Well glad you concede that much! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I selected part of your post because as I stated in my reply that "this is the part I have the problem with" if you want to go back and read the post again.

All arguments for it being just for "vermin control" go out the window by looking at that thread.

There are loads of pictures of game in that thread (which are eaten) so "vermin control" only applies when its vermin.

Are you a vegan family? The reason I ask is because your kids might get a bit of a shock when they realise animals are being killed/suffer to feed them or for other products like leather etc. Or is that ok because someone else has to do the killing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    I don't believe anyone who engages in a sport where the ultimate aim is the death of an animal is an animal lover. My opinion. To claim oneself an animal lover while taking part in hunting is hypocrisy (sp?).

Clearly you are a vegan then as by the same logic you couldn't love animals and eat meat, eggs, butter etc etc etc

reminds me a a quote I once saw "Of course I'm an animal lover, they're delicious"

Also I suppose no-one here owns a cat because lord knows how hard you'd cry at night knowing your cat is outside killing mice, song birds etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement