Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox hunting poll in todays Irish Times

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

peasant wrote: »
    If in doubt, pull the "it creates X amount of jobs"-card :D

Or if in doubt pull the "elitist scumbag black and tan card" right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Vegeta wrote: »
    The anti hunt folk are a minority but they do know how to shout.

I wonder if that's actually true. I suspect that most people think fox hunting, like other animal cruelty, is pretty despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Jak wrote: »
    Finally, the cat thing is quite funny. Whatever about attaching bells and locking them indoors (which I do not agree with, I think animals should be treated as animals and allowed their normal behaviour) - but I was wondering do you feed your cat meat? Perhaps the Whiskas rabbit?

Why not support free range living and just let the cat hunt and feed itself?
    My god! I'm not getting into a debate over the vices of "locking" a cat away. Please re-read earlier posts about cats. They hunt during the day but generally catch less, they have access all the time to the house but prefer to be indoors or in the garden. I feed my cats dry cat food and if I am having meat with my dinner they generally get some of this too. I have at no time said anything bad about eating meat, In fact in other threads I actually supported some instances of game hunting. I did comment on the fact someone compared a hunt and a cat hunting.

Tell me, would you let your cat roam free killing it's food? Because what happens then is that cat finds easier food, in peoples bins. So as a responsible pet owner I dont let my pets roam looking for their own food.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

togster wrote: »
    I would also like to ask what the anti's would do with the thousands around the country if a ban is implemented?

Humane,fast disposal.Even allow the former hunters who used hounds to shoot them or dispose of them in a humane way without tearing them to bits with dogs.

My argument is not about hunting its about the cruelty Ive seen at hunts.Im not anti hunting--Im anti-cruelty in hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Also what would you do with all the hounds? Re-home them?
    What happens when the hound is too old to hunt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Or if in doubt pull the "elitist scumbag black and tan card" right?

I never pulled anything ...bendihorse asked, I answered.

My argument is still about the welfare of the fox, the cruelty and the utter pointlessnes of it all.

Who carries it out is secondary.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    My argument is not about hunting its about the cruelty Ive seen at hunts.Im not anti hunting--Im anti-cruelty in hunting.

What cruelty have you seen at hunts?

What happens when the hound is too old to hunt?

It is usually kept to breed. So you guys would have no probelem destroying 3-4000 dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I know anti's who sliced a huntsmans horses tendons ?
    Very sad, the poor horse is just been led by the scummy huntsman
    Or the time i was assaulted by another anti with a large branch and i can go on.
    so its alright for you to terrorise the fox but not for you to be terrorised! what goes around etc..
    Also what would you do with all the hounds? Re-home them?
    if they are loved why will they need to be re-homed? clearly they are not loved if your going to re home them because you cant hunt.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

It is usually kept to breed. So you guys would have no probelem destroying 3-4000 dogs?

If these dogs were as well kept and as well loved as your crowd claims they are, I'm sure the hunt would find it in their hearts to further finance the upkeep of those dogs until their natural end, even if they can't hunt any more.

You could excercise them on horseback every now and then and have some fun that way, couldn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What cruelty have you seen at hunts?

Ive personally seen foxes dug out and given to the hounds to be ripped to pieces all the while the so called "hunters" are having great craic altogether.

Ive seen half dead stags that werent killed by the first bullet ripped to pieces by dogs rather than being given a decent death at the hands of another bullet.
    Its beyond cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Posted in other thread but probably worth posting here:

Fox Hunting is a sport whether you agree with it or not its still a sport. Now I don't like GAA probably because I'm from Carlow but thats not the point, the point is if people want to play a game which imo is run by organisation that is both corrupt and racist thats their right.

But no-one gets killed during GAA matches I hear you say and yes obviously that is one BIG difference, however if you have a problem with a cute fox been killed during a hunt then obviously you have a problem with hunting and not the sport of fox hunting. The argument that you don't eat the fox is incredibly ignornat, I have shot over a hundred rabbits yet I have never eaten a single one, like wise I know plenty of people that shoot rabbits on a regular basis and don't eat a single one.

What about Ferreting I saw people doing it in Carlow Sunday should that be banned too or is it ok if they eat the rabbits?

Our Culture includes blood sports thats a fact, if you want to ban fox hunts you are taking away part of our culture and if you ban Fox hunts do you ban Ferreting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Round and round we go.

Im bored with this so im finished contributing. Theres no point smashing your head off a brick wall. Togster et all, i suggest that for your own sanity you leave them off too. Like i said before, its impossible to chage the opinion of people on a matter like this. Its something that your either for or against.

Leave the country side to the country folk, nothing has become extinct in ireland yet through hunting so i think the farmers the 'keepers of the land' are doing a pretty good job.

Feckin townies and their completely impractical opinions everything - eurrgh.

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Leave the country side to the country folk, nothing has become extinct in ireland yet through hunting so i think the farmers the 'keepers of the land' are doing a pretty good job.

Feckin townies and their completely impractical opinions everything - eurrgh.

ooops ...getting a little elitist here, are we ?:D

FYI ...I live in the country as well and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Very sad, the poor horse is just been led by the scummy huntsman

No. A group of antis tied the horse up in a field and sliced its tendons so the huntsman couln't hunt. The horse stayed in the field and suffered all night.
    Do you condone this behaviour?
    so its alright for you to terrorise the fox but not for you to be terrorised! what goes around etc..

I have rights, the fox doesn't. Again i am a human the fox is not. Please read this up. A search in Google might enlighten you.
    By the way are you condoning violence??
    if they are loved why will they need to be re-homed? clearly they are not loved if your going to re home them because you cant hunt.

Or clearly i live in the real world and realise it is not feasible to keep 100 hounds with no income?

Im guessing you were not born here though right? From a different country right?

I have rights, the fox doesn't.

Ahhhhh ...finally ...to the nub of the issue.

The fox bloody well does have rights, you just blatantly refuse to recognise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

A genuine question - if I did want to follow a hunt on foot to "experience first hand" what goes on - as has been recommended by the pro-hunt people - how would I go about doing this?

Would it not be difficult for a stranger to participate? I would imagine that people would be a bit suspicious in case I was a protester or hunt saboteur?

Im guessing you were not born here though right? From a different country right?

And, prey tell ...what would that have to do with anything?

hmmm ...??

Ahhhhh ...finally ...to the nub of the issue.

The fox bloody well does have rights, you just blatantly refuse to recognise them.

What rights does the fox have? Civil rights? The right not to be assaulted? Apparently not, because we still shoot them and hunt them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

JUST A QUICK ARTICLE OF HOW UNDERHANDED THE ANTI HUNTING LOBBY CAN BE:

19 January 2008

Anti-hunt group ‘put woman’s job at risk’

By Paul O’Brien, Political Correspondent
    A WOMAN who lobbied politicians to have a deer hunt licence renewed had her correspondence passed to an anti-hunt group who subsequently lodged complaints with her employer.

The Irish Council against Blood Sports confirmed it made the complaints after being passed the correspondence by Independent TD Tony Gregory, who is the organisation’s vice-president.

It is unusual for politicians to distribute an individual’s correspondence to a third party — particularly a third party opposed to that individual’s view.

The pro-hunt lobby has attacked the council’s move, saying it could have endangered the woman’s job. But the council says it had absolutely no intention of causing the woman problems with her employer.

On November 15, the woman, who works for a real estate agency, emailed a number of TDs seeking their support for the Ward Union Hunt.

At the time, the Ward Union, which is based in Meath, was seeking Environment Minister John Gormley to renew its licence to hunt stag.

Within hours of the woman making her representations, the council emailed her employer, complaining directly to the chief executive of the company.

In the complaint, the council drew attention to the fact that the woman had used her work email account to write to the TDs.

The council said stag hunting had been responsible for a series of “disturbing incidents” over the years, and said the woman was “in the minority of those wanting to retain this cruel hunt”. It urged the company to clarify whether the woman had its “sanction and backing” to send out the emails.

The company subsequently informed the council that the emails were written by the employee in a personal capacity and not meant to reflect its views. It did not take any action against the woman, as it regarded the incident as a minor mistake. The woman did not wish to speak about the incident when contacted by the Irish Examiner this week.

Aideen Yourell, the council’s campaign director, defended the organisation’s actions, saying it simply wished to determine if the company supported deer hunting.

“We do this all the time with companies. If we think a company has any kind of a connection with blood sports… we tell them what the blood sport is, we describe it to them, we send them pictures, we say: ‘Do you really want to be associated with this?’”

She said it was never the council’s intention to create any difficulty for the woman with her employers.

Ms Yourell said the council had been sent the correspondence by Mr Gregory. Mr Gregory could not be reached for comment yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

What has that got to do with anything?

That comment is veering towards racism .

umm nobody argued against my post, guess everyone agreed or maybe they just ignored as its easier than discuss it.

MsFifers wrote: »
    A genuine question - if I did want to follow a hunt on foot to "experience first hand" what goes on - as has been recommended by the pro-hunt people - how would I go about doing this?

Would it not be difficult for a stranger to participate? I would imagine that people would be a bit suspicious in case I was a protester or hunt saboteur?

Not at all. Lots of strangers go every week. Just don't go striking horses or assaulting people and no one will mind you being there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

ooops ...getting a little elitist here, are we ?:D

That would only be considered elitest if you were a townie and had an inferiority complex about it. I meerly expressed a distaste for the townie mentality, i didn't say i was better than anyone.

To clarify, a townie is not necessarily a person who lives in a town, a towny is a person that has idealistic views about the countryside and how it works.

In reply and without getting personal, you haven't made one decent argument against hunting apart from the fact that you dont like the people taking part and that you 'think' its cruel - but haven't provided any proof of your convictions.

Villain wrote: »
    I have shot over a hundred rabbits yet I have never eaten a single one, like wise I know plenty of people that shoot rabbits on a regular basis and don't eat a single one..
    Cruelty for the sake of cruelty. why dont you eat the rabbits.
    What about Ferreting I saw people doing it in Carlow Sunday should that be banned too or is it ok if they eat the rabbits?
    Yes it should be banned, ferrets hunting in the wild is fine, for some blokes fun, thats creepy.
    Our Culture includes blood sports thats a fact, if you want to ban fox hunts you are taking away part of our culture and if you ban Fox hunts do you ban Ferreting etc.
    Ban all hunting activitys that are cruel and unneccesary. simple.

And, prey tell ...what would that have to do with anything?

hmmm ...??

Im just trying to form an opinion of you. Wouldn't want to jump t any conclusions.

No. A group of antis tied the horse up in a field and sliced its tendons so the huntsman couln't hunt. The horse stayed in the field and suffered all night.
    Do you condone this behaviour?
    NO.
    I have rights, the fox doesn't.
    By the way are you condoning violence??
    Animal rights, if a hunter of this nature was harmed i would not be sad,deserved i'd say, i never condoned viloence though.

Or clearly i live in the real world and realise it is not feasible to keep 100 hounds with no income?

there kept for blood and thats all, this is cruelty in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Yes it should be banned, ferrets hunting in the wild is fine, for some blokes fun, thats creepy.

christ you really are a do-gooder that doesnt have a clue what you are talking about are'ny you? iv been watching your posts and tbh they are the worst pieces of keyboard diahhorea i have ever read. have you any inkling of an idea how much use ferrets are when you have a massive rabbit problem on your land where you are trying to grow vegetables etc?

and by the way BRAINS ferrets are domesticated, just like dogs. they dont live in the wild

from now on i am striking every post you make down to pure uneducated idiocy.

• Advertisement

Cruelty for the sake of cruelty. why dont you eat the rabbits.

Ah maybe because I shoot the rabbits for farmers as they are vermin who damage crops, btw I also shoot Foxes which I have seen rip lambs in two so they can take them back to their den, but oh let me guess natural cruelty against lambs is ok with you but me shooting the fox isn't?

What about for some blokes dinner, I do believe the people I saw Ferreting were going to eat the rabbits, so is that ok then?

Ban all hunting activitys that are cruel and unneccesary. simple.
    Oh now lets see your definition of unneccesary hunting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement