Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo's music scene!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There are zero rehearsal spaces in Sligo to rent out. Community Centres / Schools etc are unwilling to rent out space due to their public liability insurance. Believe - I tried EVEYWHERE. In the end, I found a former mushroom tunnel in Ballaghadareen.... sounds a lot worse than it is - the plave is HUGE & heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

A friend of mine is a singer. He is based in the UK, but on Irish tours, when he's in Sligo, he plays in Barrys in Grange. He's also played in the Niland Black Box on another tour. I always thought he should be in a more local/accessable/central venue. There just doesn't seem to be the market for it here in town. Its a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Sligo hasn't got the market for a constant live scene.
    The vast majority of people here like a DJ in Fiddlers, followed by a DJ in Velvet.

I do my bit by supporting any bit of decency that comes i.e Delorentoes, Director et al recently, but the low turnout at these gigs only goes to prove that Sligo as a whole does not want it, so why should it cater for it?

Not everybody likes Rory Gallagher to be fair.
    I don't. I don't see why a DJ would want to play him, because at the end of the day, the DJ is paid to play the SH**e that people wanna hear.
    Why is he the benchmark for live music snobbery. If you don't like Rory Gallagher you know absolutely nothing about anything ever.

I don't like Rory Gallagher, or Delorentos, Director, Fiddlers or indeed Velvet. Hard to please me! Enjoyed Dan Deacon in the Niland though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I don't like Rory Gallagher, or Delorentos, Director, Fiddlers or indeed Velvet. Hard to please me! Enjoyed Dan Deacon in the Niland though!

I missed Deacon, was in dublin for bad manners, was worried about what kinda crowd would be at Deacon so it put me off, the crowd that the Niland seems to attract tend to stroke there chin a fair bit. I would say that the Niland dont advertise enough, had mates up for a gig there, they were shocked by the lack of advertising, seems to be a "you'd only be into it if your the type who drinks coffee here mentality"?

As for the Sligo music scene, I moved home about 2 years ago, had a list of about 8-10 bands who wanted to play here(mates of mates), good bands sell out whealens types, no one seemed interested, The Left Bank charging E15 to see a band you could see for free in the likes of Galway/Limerick P*ssed off both punters and bands alike.
    I think the closure many moons ago of the student night in the southern did a lot of damage because that is where a lot of people heard something a little different, which led them to try the clarence, Clarence got quiet after that.
    The Collera house will put on Anything if you can afford the risk of nobody showing up due to its distance out of town(i couldnt!).

Smurf, if its possible for you i would recommend leaving to be honest, family from England used to love coming to Sligo and they called it little Camden, now its like big Boyle and I cant see it changing.
    im off to London, as for fundoran one or 2 decent pubs, nightclubs are awful, maniac2000 is still played up there.
    Good Luck finding a night out lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'll be honest, I didn't expect Sligo to have a music scene. For all people try to tell me differently, I still consider it a(n excruciatingly) small town.

That said, it also didn't take me long to get sick of the "night life" here. I am a fan of the 12 year old DJ at Gurns' though. Possibly only because the speakers aren't good enough to render me deaf with the Jackson 5 and I can still enjoy a relatively quiet drink with friends in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 damos

Tell me your thoughts of the music scene in sligo. Personally I think its pretty boring for a town that has a big college/campus life and fair population in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Well there are a few okay places, although i'm not living in Sligo anymore so can't really say for definite.
    But i can say i have been to the Salvation Night Club in the Clarence on a Wedneday night. A night or rock and metal is a welcome change than the regular clubs.

The problem with the music scene in Sligo, is the lack of interest - it's easy to get bands in from all over the country, but I know from experience, that getting people to pay to see them is easier said than done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Not much happening alright. Was in Letterkenny last month and that place has a very active music scene.

Don't know what's up with Sligo.

• Advertisement

Dumb wrote: »
    Not much happening alright. Was in Letterkenny last month and that place has a very active music scene.

Don't know what's up with Sligo.

--Thats What I'm saying. If ya take ballyshannon a small town in comparsion but it has a healthy music scene .

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

I've never seen an attitude like sligo before when it comes to music. even in my group of friends.

Every week its giving out about "same old shi*e niteclubs etc..." but when I suggest to head and see a band in say the clarence, it always "ah f**k it we'll head to velvet"

Seems most people in sligo prefer to pay 15quid to go to a nite club rather than 15-25 to go to a club with a live band good dj act. baffles me really

booooonzo wrote: »
    I've never seen an attitude like sligo before when it comes to music. even in my group of friends.

Every week its giving out about "same old shi*e niteclubs etc..." but when I suggest to head and see a band in say the clarence, it always "ah f**k it we'll head to velvet"

Seems most people in sligo prefer to pay 15quid to go to a nite club rather than 15-25 to go to a club with a live band good dj act. baffles me really

I hear ya, I think people have a set against the clarence in general. Because its the only nightclub that plays good or experimental music, it doesnt satisfiy there mondane, pop, obvious tastes.

Or maybe its other nightclubs that underestimate the taste of the public and so to make more money they just employee a streamline,predictable Dj that drives you to drink because its so monotonous instead of changing the act every few weeks or by giving some local act a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Completely agree with you there. A lot of people have gone to the Clarence when a big named DJ has been there but as for bands not so many people go.

Aslan were playing in the Radisson on Friday night but in general the music scene in the town is very poor.

Oh and why is there a link to a wikipedia page for monotonous which doesn't even exist damos?

Don't mind that. I could not spell the word so i pasted it from wiki and it ended up a link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Do McGarrigles have bands playing?

CSC wrote: »
    Do McGarrigles have bands playing?

I was mainly talking about nightclubs, but ya McGarrigles are part of this small group of pioneering institutions in sligo that play different music in there pub's (shoot the crows, Harp tavern, the ark bar and to a lesser extent the Brewery)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I hear the Garavogue has live music every Friday night - anyone been?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

I hear the Garavogue has live music every Friday night - anyone been?

Ok now i haven't a clue of the Garavogue, was in there today for lunch for the first time in years.

But going of topic slightly well entirely (oops) ... i think that "glass cage of emotion" on your location, Hail 2 Da Chimp, is one of the most funniest quotes ever... oh and 'the night is a dark time for me"

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

Well folks, I've been blogging at Sligo Events for sometime now and think there is a wide range of gigs on all the time!

However I do think that right now there isn't a 'rhythm' to the gigs that are organised but some things are taking shape. (like you cant say oh every thursday there is live(quality) music in such a place)

-This Side Up (hip hop) every two weeks in McGarrigles, Saturday nights (have been to it and it is a great night)
    -Cairde Festival have a most excellent programme this July including some great gigs
    -Sligo Jazz have tons of gigs on, 6/7 a week sometimes
    -Salvation Night in The Clarence on Wednesday nights(they do a deal with Tom Yam and the cinema too)
    The Hawk's Well also have music from time to time.(Declan O'Rourke in May)
    Barrys in Grange have really good rock/alt/world music gigs
    Fureys is on Facebook too and have sessions and gigs regularly
    The Model have had sporadic gigs on during their redevelopment
    The TnC has started doing some gigs too
    The Clarence has been getting quite an amount of gigs lately(david kitt on friday just gone)
    Sligo Arts monthly newsletter also has details of trad sessions and other gigs on through-out the year too.
    Tobergal Lane Cafe just held Sligo's first reggae festival back in May,they have some gig nights and The Moon alternative night

Not to mention all the places that have weekly sessions, Shoots, The Harp, the Strand ..etc..

I think if gig nights became more regular and people could depend on places for providing such nights then they would be successful. And there is most definitely the audience for quality gig nights in Sligo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I really wish that blog had been around when I was living in sligo - I've got it on my feed reader at the moment and it's really great for knowing what's going on. Wish there was a Galway version!

Ya well said Ladydotty you have proved there is something going on in Sligo, people just have to be made aware of it. Or do the majority of people in sligo have no taste for different music.

And I wish I lived closer to grange because barry's does get proper acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Roche

Check out the Burning Shades. Innovative Sligo band sans pretence. They play regularly and never let you down. Ask about them in Shoots, McGarrigles or Furey's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BestyBaby

clarence is acctuallly then only big place to be heading to see bands. no joke. i no wot u mean about the lack of scene. paris up in bundi is good sum nites tho ... thats when they aint playin trad shizzel. and barrys in grange always gets a few good uns, how i dunno lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

The music scene in Sligo seems to have improved, whenever I come home from college for the summer my "home" friends just want to feck off to Toffs or McHughs. No imagination. And i don't fancy going to gigs on my own, especially not in this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

FYI
    Grange Music Festival is on this weekend
    as is the James Morrision Traditional Music Festival and Johnny Holmes in the Clarence (nice mixture of things there!)

And.. very exciting news..
    The Model in association with Sligo Live have announced Josh Ritter Sun Oct 25th
    (Imelda May and Martha Wainright already confirmed)

And as already mentioned, McGarrigles is closed, very very sad news, saw some amazing bands there in years gone by.

LadyDotty wrote: »

And as already mentioned, McGarrigles is closed, very very sad news, saw some amazing bands there in years gone by.

Mc garrigles closed for what? better not be for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

The music scene in Sligo sucks..full of chavs obsessed with crap clubing music. What sligo needs is a really good venue to hold live bands and a night where the same old rap and 'RnB' clubbing crap is not played in a club..like a rock/indie night......then they need to start ADVERTISING these events!!

*shadow* wrote: »
    The music scene in Sligo sucks..quote]

I think its half and half on both the people and on the venue's, based on the fact that people cud not be bothered to look for some new venue or either are uninformed about certain events or are afraid no-one would be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The music scene in Sligo seems to have improved, whenever I come home from college for the summer my "home" friends just want to feck off to Toffs or McHughs. No imagination. And i don't fancy going to gigs on my own, especially not in this town.

Improved? What age are you? (Actually, that's none of my business). Ten years ago, there was a far better scene in Sligo. There was bands in the Weir (O'Neills on the Mall now), McGarrigle's, The Journeyman (McHugh's), the Blue Lagoon, Equinox (Envy), Schooner's (club in the Ark and other places too. You could wander into town on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday, and there would be a band somewhere. Some nights there was even a choice.
    I've said it before and I think it's close to the main reason, but most pubs and clubs looked at the busiest places (Belfry, Fiddler's, Toff's and Envy at the time) and thought if they banged out loud chart music, they'd get a piece of the crowd. Now the majority crowd (who don't care how bad the music is), are split between too many places. The niche crowds are no longer catered for. And I don't believe alot of the over hyped D.J.s and bands that the Garavogue and Clarence have promoted are the right way to go about things either. For every Mundy (not a fan) there's a David Kitt (not a fan either). Nobody wants to pay good money to see a mewling chancer.
    With the lack of interest in live music, local bands couldn't get a gig any more either. Most local bands get more gigs in Donegal and Mayo than Sligo.
    Too many pubs are ran by self professed "business men" these days, rather than the likes that ran McGarrigle's and the Weir in their heyday. They liked the music, liked the crowd it brought in and were happy to turn a profit. Nowadays, every place just wants a slice of the big money.
    Go to Galway at this time of year, even on a monday night and there's a real buzz. Bands in the King's Head and the Quays, clubs open whether they're busy or not. Police keeping and eye on things, buskers, shops open late. Then walk through Sligo on a Monday. Nothing, nada, zip. The streets are empty and dark. The pubs are locking up on the button. It's a ghost town.
    Yes, alot are chavs, alot are skint etc., but why would anyone come into town anyway. It's boring.

Advertisement