Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo's music scene!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

For Sligo's punk and alt needs...

http://www.poopromotions.com/

This sunday night in fact sees amazing Galway hardcore OFAC and Bacchus hit Sligo, I really reccommend these bands and this gig, only 8 euro!

Stop complaining about lack of music and go to a gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

il gatto wrote: »
    Improved? What age are you? (Actually, that's none of my business). Ten years ago, there was a far better scene in Sligo. There was bands in the Weir (O'Neills on the Mall now), McGarrigle's, The Journeyman (McHugh's), the Blue Lagoon, Equinox (Envy), Schooner's (club in the Ark and other places too. You could wander into town on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday, and there would be a band somewhere. Some nights there was even a choice.
    I've said it before and I think it's close to the main reason, but most pubs and clubs looked at the busiest places (Belfry, Fiddler's, Toff's and Envy at the time) and thought if they banged out loud chart music, they'd get a piece of the crowd. Now the majority crowd (who don't care how bad the music is), are split between too many places. The niche crowds are no longer catered for. And I don't believe alot of the over hyped D.J.s and bands that the Garavogue and Clarence have promoted are the right way to go about things either. For every Mundy (not a fan) there's a David Kitt (not a fan either). Nobody wants to pay good money to see a mewling chancer.
    With the lack of interest in live music, local bands couldn't get a gig any more either. Most local bands get more gigs in Donegal and Mayo than Sligo.
    Too many pubs are ran by self professed "business men" these days, rather than the likes that ran McGarrigle's and the Weir in their heyday. They liked the music, liked the crowd it brought in and were happy to turn a profit. Nowadays, every place just wants a slice of the big money.
    Go to Galway at this time of year, even on a monday night and there's a real buzz. Bands in the King's Head and the Quays, clubs open whether they're busy or not. Police keeping and eye on things, buskers, shops open late. Then walk through Sligo on a Monday. Nothing, nada, zip. The streets are empty and dark. The pubs are locking up on the button. It's a ghost town.
    Yes, alot are chavs, alot are skint etc., but why would anyone come into town anyway. It's boring.

Well I think its clear from my post that I'm still in college, and I'm speaking from my experience of the past five years, so I can't comment on what it was like ten years ago and whether or not it was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

And I don't believe alot of the over hyped D.J.s and bands that the Garavogue and Clarence have promoted are the right way to go about things either. .

Over hyped? Come on the clarence got some serious Djs in over the last year, Sander van doorn? Deadmau5? Marco V? These are some of the best Djs in the world playing in Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

strongr wrote: »
    Over hyped? Come on the clarence got some serious Djs in over the last year, Sander van doorn? Deadmau5? Marco V? These are some of the best Djs in the world playing in Sligo!

And have often played to dire crowds because people didn't want to see D.J.s playing niche dance music. They had a Sasha there recently and had a pretty small turnout by all accounts (that I've heard). I'm not doubting the credentials of some of the acts, but the fact is the Sligo scene is a dead duck. Envy had the Utah Saints over the summer too and apparently had around 100 punters.
    It's a niche which has dwindled over the past 6-8 years and one which the clubs seem to recall the halcyon days of. Sash, Mauro Piccotto and Armand Van Helden or their modern day equivalents, no longer make up large chunks of the charts. People are happier grinding around the floor of Toff's and Velvet to Usher's latest opus.
    The clubs and even more so the pubs need to look at live music as people want entertainment to encourage them into town in the first place. If a pub has a covers band and it's free in, people drift in moreso than a name act with a cover charge. And as I've said, acts like Mundy may draw a crowd, but alot of others have similar ticket prices but haven't got the appeal to justify it. No point paying David Kitt a few grand to play to a 1/3rd full club if paying the Blizzards twice as much would've packed the place.

Well I think its clear from my post that I'm still in college, and I'm speaking from my experience of the past five years, so I can't comment on what it was like ten years ago and whether or not it was better.

As I said, it's none of my business. You could've been a mature student.

• Advertisement

And have often played to dire crowds because people didn't want to see D.J.s playing niche dance music. They had a Sasha there recently and had a pretty small turnout by all accounts (that I've heard). I'm not doubting the credentials of some of the acts, but the fact is the Sligo scene is a dead duck. Envy had the Utah Saints over the summer too and apparently had around 100 punters.
    It's a niche which has dwindled over the past 6-8 years and one which the clubs seem to recall the halcyon days of. Sash, Mauro Piccotto and Armand Van Helden or their modern day equivalents, no longer make up large chunks of the charts. People are happier grinding around the floor of Toff's and Velvet to Usher's latest opus.
    The clubs and even more so the pubs need to look at live music as people want entertainment to encourage them into town in the first place. If a pub has a covers band and it's free in, people drift in moreso than a name act with a cover charge. And as I've said, acts like Mundy may draw a crowd, but alot of others have similar ticket prices but haven't got the appeal to justify it. No point paying David Kitt a few grand to play to a 1/3rd full club if paying the Blizzards twice as much would've packed the place.

I was at all of those gigs and the Clarence was wedged, didnt go to sasha as it was on durning the leaving cert and also it was over 20's id say thats why he has such a bad turn out. Envy is dead all the time during the summer, usually Saturday nights consists of about 10-20 people. Its the students that really make it for them. Toffs however is the only place that does the business in the town during the summer months, (maybe the velvet aswell but haven't been near it yet). I have to agree with you tho about the live music, im not a big fan of bands but there needs to be some sort of a buzz in the town.

I was at all of those gigs and the Clarence was wedged, didnt go to sasha as it was on durning the leaving cert and also it was over 20's id say thats why he has such a bad turn out. Envy is dead all the time during the summer, usually Saturday nights consists of about 10-20 people. Its the students that really make it for them. Toffs however is the only place that does the business in the town during the summer months, (maybe the velvet aswell but haven't been near it yet). I have to agree with you tho about the live music, im not a big fan of bands but there needs to be some sort of a buzz in the town.

The Clarence has had some pathetic showings for acts they forked out quite a bit for. You're lucky that if you hit on the good ones.
    Velvet is the busiest club when it's open. Usually only a Saturday. There wouldn't be enough people out the rest of the time to justify opening it. In fairness, Toff's only has a couple of busy nights a week at best. The Clarence fluctuates between pretty full (for a big name) and having almost nobody. Envy has nothing until the students come back (apart from Leaving results atc.). Apart from a Saturday, there's no guarantee of a crowd anywhere in town. It's more like (no offense) Kiltimagh than Killarney for the summer. I know people who work in hotels and the few residents who do ask where to go are sent off in the vague direction of Fiddlers and the Garavogue in hope of finding some atmoshere.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

Em, what about The Moon upstairs in Tobergal Lane Cafe? It's got great alternative/world/rock/indie music different djs all the time every saturday through August. Was there on Saturday last and it had great crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

LadyDotty wrote: »
    Em, what about The Moon upstairs in Tobergal Lane Cafe? It's got great alternative/world/rock/indie music different djs all the time every saturday through August. Was there on Saturday last and it had great crowd.

I hear that's a new thing going on. A few friends were there Saturday night too and said it was good. I'm gonna hopefully check it out when i get back to Sligo.

Great to have indie/rock/metal/alternative place to go out in. Salvation was running in the Clarence over the summer on a Wednesday night, unfortunately that i finished now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tshirt

Horay!
    The music scene in Sligo is getting better.This side up(Dj Hip hop),
    GMILEY Singer/Songwriter (Soul Act),Ray Coen(folk),Red Brick house,Wayne O'Connor,The Dead Flags are just some of the the ORIGINAL acts coming out of sligo at present.

With GMiley playing the Sligo Live Festival 7pm Sat 24th Oct,Fiddlers Creek,Sligo
    & Ray Coen on 7pm fri 23rd Oct at Koko Latte, Quayside,Sligo along with vistors
    Imelda May,Josh Ritter,Martha Wainwright and Saw doctors coming to town.

Watch this space,I bet ya westlife are ****tin' them selves...not.Well done lads if your reading this.

• Advertisement

Fancy Dress Party+Pub Quiz+Live Music+Hot Food €6 Tickets at venues
    9pm Sat 19th sept The Thatch Pub, Ballisodare,Co Sligo:)
    &
    9pm Fri 25th Sept The Happy Landing, Coolaney,Co Sligo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Anyone name some great bands from Sligo.
    I said bands so don't even think Westlife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Dervish? Are they from Sligo?

Donegal I think...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Dervish for the most part are all Sligo with the exception of Cathy (Roscommon) and Tom (Donegal I think).

Hmmm

Dervish are from Sligo

Off the top o me head...
    Local Sligo bands/musicians to mention are
    Oddsocks Revival (just back from tour with Alabama 3) and also have a gig on Sept 17th in Fureys.
    Tucan 'Infusing spanish guitar playing with their own unique blend of rock'<- they're playing electric picnic this weekend
    Chequerboard (aka John Lambert) is now a sligo resident working here, he too is playing Electric Picnic this weekend
    Willy Kelly (son of Sandy Kelly) gigs quite regularly and has released his own album which was produced in Nashville
    This Side Up are a collective of rappers and djs.

No Crows are made up of Eddie Lee(Sligo Jazz), Steve Wickham(of former Waterboys fame) and Anna Houstan and Philip Carbonell.

Just did a google and found this. Quite funny, though I do recognise a few names!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Too many pubs are ran by self professed "business men" these days, rather than the likes that ran McGarrigle's and the Weir in their heyday. They liked the music, liked the crowd it brought in and were happy to turn a profit.

Except they didn't turn a profit. The last two owners of McGarrigles went out of Business. Where was the Weir?

There is plenty of live music around Sligo as long as you're not expecting major acts to turn up..

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Ray plays in Sligo quite a bit
    http://www.youtube.com/user/raycoenmusic

& this is coming up
    http://sligolive.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

GG66 wrote: »
    Except they didn't turn a profit. The last two owners of McGarrigles went out of Business. Where was the Weir?

There is plenty of live music around Sligo as long as you're not expecting major acts to turn up..

The Weir was on the Mall (think it is where O'Neills is now).

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

Any know of any live rock/pop bands playing in slgo town this saturday night, or in strandhill even

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Those Nervous Animals had a big radio hit with a song called "my friend John"Think they were from Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Except they didn't turn a profit. The last two owners of McGarrigles went out of Business.

Was in with a crowd of 8 on a Sunday around Xmas in McGarrigles, came in about 1/2 hr before closing, got a round, one of the gang went up 5 min.before last orders (11.30) and the barmaid (just about politely) told us no, we couldn't have another round, it was closing time. She then stacked some of the chairs, sat down with 3 of her friends, and five mins later, went up and got them all drinks. She lost her boss at least €40, and considerably more from repeat custom as result of that night.

Her boss did himself no favours either, I went in looking to get upstairs for a night for my birthday, for minimum of 25 people, offered to pay for the room & barstaff if needed, he said no straight away, then said he'd think about it, took my number, and I never heard from him again. That was a minimum €250 he refused.....

See, that (to me) was the joy of places like the Journeyman/McGarrigles et al "back in the day"....I got to see Snow Patrol, Bell X1, The Frames, Josh Ritter (as well as our local talents like Legacy/Trial By Fire/Petronella etc.) on a fairly regular basis, and chat away with them after their gigs, before they got too big to play small venues, which I loved. But enjoying that really does depend on your taste of music of course!

But I would love to see just a decent music venue in town, with good bands on a weekend, local or otherwise, enough seating/standing space to enjoy the gig, good music on in the background (not the radio!) and friendly staff....nearly every pub in town has one of those things, but I'd love to see somewhere with the full set! :D

john o callaghan and ferry corsten in the Clarence over freshers week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 semajnayr

blizzards in Garavogue on 9th October

Some gigs and festivals for October...

Oct 1st-4th
    • Sligo Baroque Festival

Fri Oct 2nd
    • Michael Manring- world renowned solo electric bassist @ Tobergal Lane
    • Clive Barnes @ Barrys, Grange

Saturday Oct 3rd-
    • Katie Kim in the Wolf On Arm with live visuals from Mr Donal Dineen

Saturday October 10th-
    • Russian Interludes with the RTE Vanbrugh Quartet

Friday Oct 16th-
    • Beautiful Unit (the band that played O'Connell Street on Culture Night) return for full gig

22nd-26th
    • Sligo Live including Martha Wainright, Imelda May, Josh Ritter and lots of local acts for Cafe Culture

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Was just on their myspace there, oddsocks revival in the garravogue tonight.

http://www.myspace.com/oddsocksrevival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Star Belgrade were, at one stage, 50% from Sligo, fact fans!

john o callaghan and ferry corsten in the Clarence over freshers week :D

Ferry Corsten? Cool. Missed it. Not cool.
    Envy had Audio Bullies during the week too.
    Why didn't some place book a band?

And GG86, the owner before last of McGarrigles didn't go out of business. The poor guy got very ill very suddenly and the place changed hands almost immediately. He'd done well for a good few years before that.

Ferry Corsten? Cool. Missed it. Not cool.
    Envy had Audio Bullies during the week too.
    Why didn't some place book a band?

And GG86, the owner before last of McGarrigles didn't go out of business. The poor guy got very ill very suddenly and the place changed hands almost immediately. He'd done well for a good few years before that.

John oc was in last Thursday night it was mad, great night. But you haven't missed Ferry, hes playing next Thursday the 8th of oct :D Was really surprised with joc night thought there would have been loads of fight and stuff because of what happened on monday night. but everyone was just loved up enjoying it.

• Advertisement

John oc was in last Thursday night it was mad, great night. But you haven't missed Ferry, hes playing next Thursday the 8th of oct :D Was really surprised with joc night thought there would have been loads of fight and stuff because of what happened on monday night. but everyone was just loved up enjoying it.

Couldn't go to Ferry Corsten. Heard it was quiet though. I thought it would be a full house.
    Last Monday week they were cleared by the fire officer, is that right? I heard alot of different figures but apparently they were a fair few hundred over full. I'm suprised they haven't had their licence suspended. All these documentaries about the Stardust disaster and officials bleating on about how it can never hapen again and how stringent things are. They were open the next night. Why do the other places bother complying if there's not sanctions for risking people's safety? I've seen the fire officer a few times when I've been in Toff's, Envy and Velvet and I believe they've never had the plug pulled during the night. I was in Velevt the Saturday of the first World Rally and I thought it was filled to bursting but then I saw the fire officer snooping about (as is his job) with a camera, but it wasn't cleared. Clarence must've been heaving.
    I'm not having a go at the place but clearly there was serious infringements which risked people's safety, so they should be punished, as should any venue which admits far to many people.

Advertisement