Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo's music scene!!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

The Blizzards were fricking sweet in The Garavogue last night.
    Took a while to get the sound right and Ive said it before and will say it again that it ain't a great venue, but man they were good. One of the best bands I've seen live lately in a local setting. The crowd loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

they wern't bad, it was a good night

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

il gatto wrote: »
    Couldn't go to Ferry Corsten. Heard it was quiet though. I thought it would be a full house.
    Last Monday week they were cleared by the fire officer, is that right? I heard alot of different figures but apparently they were a fair few hundred over full. I'm suprised they haven't had their licence suspended. All these documentaries about the Stardust disaster and officials bleating on about how it can never hapen again and how stringent things are. They were open the next night. Why do the other places bother complying if there's not sanctions for risking people's safety? I've seen the fire officer a few times when I've been in Toff's, Envy and Velvet and I believe they've never had the plug pulled during the night. I was in Velevt the Saturday of the first World Rally and I thought it was filled to bursting but then I saw the fire officer snooping about (as is his job) with a camera, but it wasn't cleared. Clarence must've been heaving.
    I'm not having a go at the place but clearly there was serious infringements which risked people's safety, so they should be punished, as should any venue which admits far to many people.

Its was far better there the place wasnt packed for ferry. You could actually dance . As far as i no they have only been letting 800 in since the monday night incident. Which imo is really good. The doors seemed to be closed early about half 12 or 1 the nights of joc and ferry. Was a great night aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

il gatto wrote: »
    Couldn't go to Ferry Corsten. Heard it was quiet though. I thought it would be a full house.
    Last Monday week they were cleared by the fire officer, is that right? I heard alot of different figures but apparently they were a fair few hundred over full. I'm suprised they haven't had their licence suspended. All these documentaries about the Stardust disaster and officials bleating on about how it can never hapen again and how stringent things are. They were open the next night. Why do the other places bother complying if there's not sanctions for risking people's safety? I've seen the fire officer a few times when I've been in Toff's, Envy and Velvet and I believe they've never had the plug pulled during the night. I was in Velevt the Saturday of the first World Rally and I thought it was filled to bursting but then I saw the fire officer snooping about (as is his job) with a camera, but it wasn't cleared. Clarence must've been heaving.
    I'm not having a go at the place but clearly there was serious infringements which risked people's safety, so they should be punished, as should any venue which admits far to many people.

Was there that night il gatto. It was packed. When we left the police and the ambulance were called to the front of the building. The stairs entrance to the top bar was packed too. They should have at least two entrances to the top instead of one. People could get really hurt as it was an effort to get up there. Loads of people jumping in front of each other. I helped some girl get up as a crowd of guys just barged into her, knocked her for six. First time there btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

thought the blizzards were very poor and the sound was terrible, especially considering they had a serious touring rig and a monitor and front of house engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

booooonzo wrote: »
    thought the blizzards were very poor and the sound was terrible, especially considering they had a serious touring rig and a monitor and front of house engineer.

Ah the blizzards themselves were great. sound down the front was cat so we went up the back and it was and loud and clear. The place was closed for a few hours, I dont know how they couldn't get the sound right in that time. Not the most professional job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

DenMan wrote: »
    Was there that night il gatto. It was packed. When we left the police and the ambulance were called to the front of the building. The stairs entrance to the top bar was packed too. They should have at least two entrances to the top instead of one. People could get really hurt as it was an effort to get up there. Loads of people jumping in front of each other. I helped some girl get up as a crowd of guys just barged into her, knocked her for six. First time there btw.

That's the sort of stories I've been hearing. Apparently there was some further breach there last Monday and they've been closed since. There's a sign up in the window of what used to be the old front bar with something about being closed "until further notice". They were lucky to have gotten away the first time. Very silly to infringe again so soon. That's a yellow card now. Another one and it'll be red. Sorry for the football analogy:D Actually it's more like rugby. They're currently in the sin bin.

I've seen the Blizzards live once. Was very impressed with them. Don't have any of their stuff, but the sound was excellent, musicianship spot on and tight hamonies. Were much slicker than the average Irish "next big thing". Was more like some of the British or American bands I've seen, who've honed their live show by heavy touring. So many Irish bands are a ramshackle mess live as they're content doing the irish circuit and playing to fawning fans who have a sense of ownership with them.
    Tbh, I always found the Garavogue a poor live venue. It's shape and structure seems to bounce the sound in a pretty displeasing way. I've seen several good bands sound fairly bad in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Just to let ye know the Clarence has started a alternative night on friday nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pink086

There's a music scene in Sligo??? Em I agree with all points made so far, except that there are some good festivals in the summer, between the jazz and the sligo live, but that doesn't exactly keep you going for twelve months. Castlebar seems to be a hot new happening place since the Royal theatre opened/got their act together(whichever it was). I've always thought sligo could do with a place like that, and especially with that fantastic road to dublin we have now, you would think that it would be financially viable for some business person.

Sidenote: does anyone here play an instrument? I'd be nice to jam with people, my guitar playing hasn't progressed in ages.

hey there.i had go get account just to speak 2u.i am sorry 2 hear that u and so many others r having trouble tapping into a live music sceen in sligo.it is not large but it is very real and very there. sat nov 28 leitrim bar. 3 ska bands £8 on door. dec 19 3 rock and ska bands. i am putting on the latter night myseif but the other is a friend.there r a few local bands but not enough 4 sure. i play myself and am up 4 jams.i dont live in sligo but am here alot. i wont give u any details of mine now but come leitrim bar sat and pink wont b hard to find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pink086

elshambo wrote: »
    I missed Deacon, was in dublin for bad manners, was worried about what kinda crowd would be at Deacon so it put me off, the crowd that the Niland seems to attract tend to stroke there chin a fair bit. I would say that the Niland dont advertise enough, had mates up for a gig there, they were shocked by the lack of advertising, seems to be a "you'd only be into it if your the type who drinks coffee here mentality"?

As for the Sligo music scene, I moved home about 2 years ago, had a list of about 8-10 bands who wanted to play here(mates of mates), good bands sell out whealens types, no one seemed interested, The Left Bank charging E15 to see a band you could see for free in the likes of Galway/Limerick P*ssed off both punters and bands alike.
    I think the closure many moons ago of the student night in the southern did a lot of damage because that is where a lot of people heard something a little different, which led them to try the clarence, Clarence got quiet after that.
    The Collera house will put on Anything if you can afford the risk of nobody showing up due to its distance out of town(i couldnt!).

Smurf, if its possible for you i would recommend leaving to be honest, family from England used to love coming to Sligo and they called it little Camden, now its like big Boyle and I cant see it changing.
    im off to London, as for fundoran one or 2 decent pubs, nightclubs are awful, maniac2000 is still played up there.
    Good Luck finding a night out lad!

hey i no a venue in sligo and am trying to breack out into promo. my reason, a good crack and a fair deal. send me an email to ppink@live.co.uk please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 punkpaul13

7 pages of useless comments moaning about the state of the music scene in sligo yet there are gigs at least once a month in the leitrim bar featuring some of the best irish and international acts from punk to ska to metal to totaly alternative and it seems the crowds never bigger than 50. usually 8 euro adm. tear yourself away from your pc, stop moaning and get up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

punkpaul13 wrote: »
    7 pages of useless comments moaning about the state of the music scene in sligo yet there are gigs at least once a month in the leitrim bar featuring some of the best irish and international acts from punk to ska to metal to totaly alternative and it seems the crowds never bigger than 50. usually 8 euro adm. tear yourself away from your pc, stop moaning and get up there.

At least Once a month ???/ Are ya serious!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

. Ten years ago, there was a far better scene in Sligo. There was bands in the Weir (O'Neills on the Mall now), McGarrigle's, The Journeyman (McHugh's), the Blue Lagoon, Equinox (Envy), Schooner's (club in the Ark and other places too. You could wander into town on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday, and there would be a band somewhere. Some nights there was even a choice.
    I
    With the lack of interest in live music, local bands couldn't get a gig any more either. Most local bands get more gigs in Donegal and Mayo than Sligo.
    Too many pubs are ran by self professed "business men" these days, rather than the likes that ran McGarrigle's and the Weir in their heyday. They liked the music, liked the crowd it brought in and were happy to turn a profit. Nowadays, every place just wants a slice of the big money.
    Go to Galway at this time of year, even on a monday night and there's a real buzz. Bands in the King's Head and the Quays, clubs open whether they're busy or not. Police keeping and eye on things, buskers, shops open late. Then walk through Sligo on a Monday. Nothing, nada, zip. The streets are empty and dark. The pubs are locking up on the button. It's a ghost town.
    Yes, alot are chavs, alot are skint etc., but why would anyone come into town anyway. It's boring.[/QUOTE]
    Totally agree with this post--10 yrs ago or even further back was a bit half decent for gigs but there a lot of bitching goes on in that town--just have a look at the infrastructure and the fact that they cant agree on a bypass or putting in a new bridge at garavogue. Back further again when Tds Lounge was in existence it was owned by a musician called Conlon who returned from London and ran music 7 nights and Sunday morning as well and the venue was packed day and night with musicians dropping in from all over the country and abroad as well.It was unheard of back then to have music every night in a sleepy town like Sligo. But it certainly woke them up a bit.The reason it went so well was that firstly he looked after the musicians very well as he was one himself and secondly his wife was brilliant with their customers and staff. He re invented the Fiddler of Dooney Festival and its still running as far as i know.
    Unfortunately I heard that his wife contacted cancer and they sold the pub but if Sligo had a few more like him I dont think it would be in the mess its in music wise today. Theres over 100 million sitting going to waste in Dublin that was funded for Sligo but they cant use it because they cannot agree on anything among themselves.Its the talk of the country. George Hook slagged them something shocking on his programme recently and the Local Councillors ran and hid and would not take his phone calls And the music scene is the same there. How could we even compare it to Galway. Now, theres a town that knows how its done and welcomes its visitors with open arms. But for some reason Sligo is living in the past when it comes to moving on!!! I lived there for a long while and even noticed that among local musicians there is a clique mentality and they are a bit wary of sharing with the outside world. What a pity!! But they pay the price!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

Lyons Cafe are doing afternoon gigs in the run up to Christmas every Saturday. I popped in yesterday to catch Slim Pickin's

Other gigs over the next few weeks around town..

December
    11th Fidil @ The Factory Performance Space
    12th- Jackk & Jones @ Lyons Cafe 4.30pm
    23rd- Kila play @ the Clarence
    19th- The Unwanted play upstairs in Tobergal Lane Cafe(Seamie O'Dowd, Cathy Jordan, Rick Epping)
    NYE 31st- Tucan/Oddsocks/This Side Up @ The Clarence

The Trades Club is midway through redevelopment and should be open fully next year, McGarrigles looks set to be opening in the next few weeks too. Next Spring The Model will reopen with a new music performance space, so lots happening, and lot's about to happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

LadyDotty wrote: »
    Lyons Cafe are doing afternoon gigs in the run up to Christmas every Saturday. I popped in yesterday to catch Slim Pickin's

Other gigs over the next few weeks around town..

To add to that list....

Dec. 22nd- A Plastic Rose play the Clarence for their homecoming gig, after a year in which they played at both the Reading and Leeds festivals in England...always a good show from them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 totomcgrath

Some more gigs:

Sunday lunchtime jazz in Tobergal Lane Café 2pm this Sunday Frank Kilkelly (excellent Gypsy jazz guitar duo)

Every Friday at the Belfry, 5.30-7.30: The Odd Couple; jazzy versions of pop songs, TV themes etc. Feat. Kieran Quinn piano

The Odd Couple plays Tobergal Lane Café Xmas party on 18 December 11pm with special guest Gay McIntyre, saxophone and

The Odd Couple with Sinead Conway play the xmas lunch spot, 2pm on December 20 at Tobergal Lane Café too...

Strand Bar, Xmas eve: The Odd Couple and friends

Looking forward to McGarrigles reopening, should give sad old O'Connell Street a boost...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Blueboi

The clarence rocks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rockafellalive

just finnished reading a lot of post from sligo pub goers! sounds like a good town for live music, our town died a few years ago.
    I play in a rock/blues band looking for new places to play can anyone recomend any spots in sligo for a live 4 piece band?
    The bands called Rockafella, we play Lizzy ACDC skynyrd Snow patrol MGNT deep purple rory G clash killers kings of leon ZZ top Horslips Neil young Kaiser Chiefs the stunning UFO Steppenwolf black crows, you get the jest of it!
    any ideas would be very welcome!
    Many thx in advance from us headers in Rockafella

rockafellalive.com

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

davis's restaurant/yeats tavern in drumcliff started having a band again, once a month. last month it was dean mahon, this month its another band on the 20th march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rockafellalive

Many thanks for the info will get on the phone to them today, you never know might get a few bookings from it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

Hi Folks-

More gigs coming up in the next while:
    Túcan play McGarrigles on St. Patrick's Day 2.30pm( advised to buy tickets early)
    Red Brick House play McG's March 16th.
    Live Trad from Barry's in Grange on St.Patrick's Day - you can actually catch this online via Live Trad at 10pm local time.
    Sat April 3rd Local band Oddsocks Revival release their Debut EP in the Clarence
    Long Tall Sally- A rockabilly/old rock n roll blues night tomorrow Friday 12th March in Tobergal Lane Cafe from 10.30pm
    Soulfood is on this Saturday night upstairs in Shenanigans.

The Model is reopening on May 1st, Duke Special, Julie Feeney, Donal Dineen Patrick Kelleher, RSAG, and Children Under the Hoof all confirmed for gigs throughout May & June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 T.Connolly Sligo

Hi all,

Here's an updated live music gig list for Thomas Connolly bar,Markievicz rd & Holborn st.

Monday - Trad Fusion 9.30pm
    Kieran Quinn & Seamie O'Dowd

Friday - jazz 5pm
    Old Market Street Swing Band

Sunday - trad session 9.30pm
    Leonard Barry - pipes
    Brian McDonagh - Mandolin
    Rick Epping - harmonica(s) / concertina

Check our website for details @ thomasconnollysligo.com

Advertisement