Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new Golf, now or wait july?

Options
  • 28-01-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

My wife needs a new car, looking at new VW Golf...

She does not need diesel and so the 1.4 petrol is probably the one.

Two questions spring to mind....

1. When are we likely to see the new Golf?

2. Are VW likely to release a low emissoins petrol engine along with the new model? Class A or Class B Co2 perhaps?

It seems mad to get a mew Golf now if the new one is due near July with lower class Co2.

Thanks in advance for your views on this one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres not really a criteria for "needing" a diesel im fairness. Without looking up figures, I'd imagine the petrol will be dearer to both buy and tax come July(could be wrong though so check th esticky and see what the Co2 is and the effect) , whereas the diesel will be the opposite, assuming thegolf comes in a small diesel, but even a 1.9 should show reductions I'd say (again , havent checked figures).

Dont know about a new Golf but I think I remember from glancing over a thread a while ago that its not in the near future (this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Try a 1.9tdi, its only €290 to tax and its going down in price in july becasue of the new tax regime.
    The 1.4 will cost €430 to tax and its less powerful and does less miles to the gallon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Plug wrote: »
    Try a 1.9tdi, its only €290 to tax and its going down in price in july becasue of the new tax regime.
    €150 actually, 132 g/km is €150 road tax;).

To the OP look at the main VRT thread. On page 16 or 17, I can't remember where exactly there is a price list of what the Golf should cost in July. It's not factual per say, but it gives a good idea as to what will happen. Though I would warn you that the increases/decreases talked about won't be as dramatic.

As for a low emissions petrol, well the basic 1.4 ain't that fuel efficient at all, it's CO2 emissions are 165 g/km, so that means 24% VRT in July(higher than now) and €430 tax a year. The 1.4 TSI 122 bhp pollutes 149 g/km, so that will cost €290 to tax a year in July and will get a reduction in VRT owing to the fact that the new TSI engine is considerably more advanced than the standard 1.4.

If you're interested in a low emissions Golf, well the lowest emissions model qualifies for only €100 road tax, and should be on sale soon, it's called the Golf Bluemotion, it has a 1.9 litre diesel engine, and has a few aerodynamic tweaks, and a couple of other bits and bobs done to it but the important point is that the average fuel consumption is claimed to be 62.8 mpg, and it's CO2 emissions are 119 g/km, so that puts it in the lowest category for VRT(at only 14%, bare in mind that the same car would be in 25% at the moment) and road tax!

A new Golf won't be here for another year yet, and the truth of the matter is is that because its a Volkswagen Golf, the current one will still be highly desirable when it comes to selling it on, even when the replacement comes out next year.

E92 wrote: »
    €150 actually, 132 g/km is €150 road tax;).

:eek:wow
    My old man is thinking of getting a 05 1.9TDI golf after july sometime. Does the car have to be brand new for this to happen and will it go down in price?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Yeah it has to be bought new in this country or imported into it (new or secondhand) after July for the new rates to apply afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

The 2nd hand market is going to be knocked on the head in July, and imports will be back in style.
    The I read about the bluemotion passat, so no surprise on the same for the golf. Even if she does not need diesel, it may make better sense to wait for the bluemotion in july, it's resale will be all the better also.

Heck, might even change my own passat in july for that matter.

If the Government doesn't backdate the road tax change to cars that have CO2 data available, what we're going to see is lots of old diesels that will be worthless and people will all be heading across the pond to get cheap used diesel cars. And if the car is an 05 or newer you can't export it really as speedos in km/h only are all but useless in the UK. Though if I were the owner of a 01-03 BMW 520i, I'd want things not to change at all, from about €700 tax a year now to €2,000 a year then! Other small engined 6 cylinder cars suffer in this regard as well.

So €150 road tax on a 05 1.9tdi will not happen?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I've been looking in to this today in fact as my wife wants a Golf and I'm getting a Passat.

I have 2 examples both for diesels.

1. Golf 1.9TDi DSG A/T if bought now means car tax will be €560 and the vrt rate is 25%. On the 1st of July the car tax will be €290 and the vrt rate will be 20%.

2. Passat 2.0TDi DSG if bought now means car tax will be €590 and the vrt rate is 30%. On the 1st of July the car tax will be €600 and the vrt rate will be 28%.

It would be great to know how much the vrt is at present and not just the percentage rate but the dealer I spoke to either wasn't willing to give me the information or didn't know.
    Both Of these cars are automatic so the co2 rating is higher. If they were manual the vrt rate in July would be 20% on both models.

The other thing to take into consideration is trade in value's. I was offered a much better trade in value to change my car before July. Those values won't be offered after the 1st of July.

There is another alternative and it might make sense to buy this car before July. The Honda Civic Hybrid is pretty well speced and has a vrt rate at the moment of 11.5%. The car tax is €320 right now. After the 1st of July the car tax will be €100 but the vrt rate will go up to 14%. So at the moment you would pay €30,200 this will rise and will probably wipe out the saving on car tax.

Having said that I looked up some Honda dealers in the UK and a six month old Hybrid with 4,000 miles with leather interior and sat nav would cost €25,604 including vrt.

Decisions, Decisions!

I hope thats of some help. I've just joined boards.ie. Finally got broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

leincar wrote: »
    It would be great to know how much the vrt is at present and not just the percentage rate

Take the RRP (list price, excluding delivery)

Multiply by 92%

Multiply by VRT rate

That should give you a figure pretty close to the VRT on each car

• Advertisement

leincar wrote: »
    I've been looking in to this today in fact as my wife wants a Golf and I'm getting a Passat.

I have 2 examples both for diesels.

1. Golf 1.9TDi DSG A/T if bought now means car tax will be €560 and the vrt rate is 25%. On the 1st of July the car tax will be €290 and the vrt rate will be 20%.

2. Passat 2.0TDi DSG if bought now means car tax will be €590 and the vrt rate is 30%. On the 1st of July the car tax will be €600 and the vrt rate will be 28%.

It would be great to know how much the vrt is at present and not just the percentage rate but the dealer I spoke to either wasn't willing to give me the information or didn't know.
    Both Of these cars are automatic so the co2 rating is higher. If they were manual the vrt rate in July would be 20% on both models.

The other thing to take into consideration is trade in value's. I was offered a much better trade in value to change my car before July. Those values won't be offered after the 1st of July.

There is another alternative and it might make sense to buy this car before July. The Honda Civic Hybrid is pretty well speced and has a vrt rate at the moment of 11.5%. The car tax is €320 right now. After the 1st of July the car tax will be €100 but the vrt rate will go up to 14%. So at the moment you would pay €30,200 this will rise and will probably wipe out the saving on car tax.

Having said that I looked up some Honda dealers in the UK and a six month old Hybrid with 4,000 miles with leather interior and sat nav would cost €25,604 including vrt.

Decisions, Decisions!

I hope thats of some help. I've just joined boards.ie. Finally got broadband.

Have a look at the VRT sticky. Everything you want to know is there, you just have to do plenty of looking in there, but you'll find if you try hard enough;)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If you're interested in a low emissions Golf, well the lowest emissions model qualifies for only €100 road tax, and should be on sale soon, it's called the Golf Bluemotion,
    Don't forget to mention that these run on a combination of Diesel and stuff called Adblue. Adblue has to be bought seperately and 1 litre is required for every 20 litres of Diesel.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Don't forget to mention that these run on a combination of Diesel and stuff called Adblue. Adblue has to be bought seperately and 1 litre is required for every 20 litres of Diesel.

Who told you that?(that is only for US market TDIs that are going on sale later on in the year, and presumably will make it's way over to pass Euro 6 rules)

Look here. I know it's a different car, but the same changes are present in the Golf Bluemotion.
    Autocar wrote:
    Optimised the ECU and adjusted the gear ratios to make third, fourth and fifth gear longer. That saved 7g/km CO2. Next they reduced weight by fitting lighter steel wheels rather than alloys. Another 5g/km saved. Lastly low rolling resistance tyres were added, cutting a further 4g/km CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

trackerman wrote: »
    The 2nd hand market is going to be knocked on the head in July, and imports will be back in style.

To say the 2nd hand market will be knocked on the head is simply untrue. A lot of petrol cars will actually go UP in VRT and UP in road tax in July and anything with a petrol engine registered before then will still be very much sellable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

AudiChris wrote: »
    Take the RRP (list price, excluding delivery)

Multiply by 92%

Multiply by VRT rate

That should give you a figure pretty close to the VRT on each car
    Thanks for that. Now my wife has read about bluemotion and thinks she might wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Who told you that?
    Yeah true I suppose. We'll get the highly polluting ones as we don't have the laws to ensure we get the cleaner ones.

Wishful thinking on my behalf..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

MarkN wrote: »
    To say the 2nd hand market will be knocked on the head is simply untrue. A lot of petrol cars will actually go UP in VRT and UP in road tax in July and anything with a petrol engine registered before then will still be very much sellable.

I wouldnt be sure about that. The aim of the tax is to make diesels more attractive/competitive than petrols. I think you are basing your statement on the assumption that petrol cars will depreciate at the same rate as we have been used to and so will hold the higher values they have today. But with the competitiveness of Deisels, Im guessing the depreciation of petrols will increase to keep their prices competitive with diesels, and so the price of used petrols will decrease more than if the VRT change were not introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anneke

POLO bluemotion will be launched in august

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

anneke wrote: »
    POLO bluemotion will be launched in august

The new model Polo will be on sale by then.

Advertisement