Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired all the time

Options
  • 28-01-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hey, Im in 6th year and mocks starts this friday. Im sure i'll do ok, but i want to get around 420 in my actual exams. Problem is Im tired every evening when i get home from school. So the normal 6 - 10pm i'd do would be pointless if im too tired to actually focus and retain the information. I usually go to bed around 11/12 ish and wake up at 8. Any tips to stop me being so tired in the evenings? (im fine during the day, its just when i get home it hits me). Also, would anybody have any study tips for french?

btw doing 5 honours 2 pass. Maths (drop down) and irish. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Hey, this is exactly like me :)
    The way i solved.. well mostly solved the problem is everyday after school first have a few relaxing hours.. usually i have from 4 to 5 or 6.. just have some time for ur self and gain some energy.
    Have a nice good healthy (as bad as it sounds) dinner :) and start then with something easy, that u enjoy.. in my case it will be maths or accounting.. something mathsy is nice to get ur brain working ;)

Then have as many breaks as u need during ur study.. and all of that slowly develops into a full evening of non tiredness study :D

aw forgot to mention, u might have to start taking some vitamins.. that what i was recommended to do. Some fish oil will be also nice, as it makes ur brain cells more efficient :D
    Also make sure to have a good meat diet, tiredness might be caused by the lack of iron in your blood .. make sure to have plenty of that substance too :)

Might be worth checking your diet - if you're getting tired that quickly you might need more fruit & veg. Seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My friend took vitamins during the L.C last year and it made her hormones go mad...all she could think about was guys! She's so funny, she's repeating with me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,525 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I reccomend more sleep. Sounds crazy, but 10 hours will have you feeling a bit more chipper. Have to also agree with a check on your diet - add fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Try going out for a walk in the evening when you get home, even if it's only for half an hour or so. It will give you a break from the books and sprawling in front of the TV/computer. The fresh air and exercise will do you good and give you some energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Overheal wrote: »
    I reccomend more sleep. Sounds crazy, but 10 hours will have you feeling a bit more chipper. Have to also agree with a check on your diet - add fruit and veg.

10 hours a day isn't that recommendable. It's not good for you to sleep too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

This may sound like the usual crap but..
    Drink lots of water, Exercise/be active in the morning, activity raises your body temp and makes you more alert, I know its not much good these days but when the time comes Get lots of sunlight!! Basically the problem is that most of us spend all day indoors which is the equivalent of darkness for our body and melatonin is produced in darkness which is the chemical that causes sleepiness..
    And I would say do not get more sleep, sleeping 10+ hours is actually detrimental.. I could go into all the reasons but I won't, If you feel yourself falling asleep during study go out and run around for a bit, that will actually wake you up completely!
    And as others have said it might be worth checking your diet..*

*For some reason a while back I read an ebook all about sleep and now I know a lot about WHY people are tired / sleepy in the evenings and sleep quality etc.. I guess its just more useless knowledge though, not gonna help me with the LC in June at least.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I'm the same. Have been experimenting with coffee lately, but the other suggestions on here do sound a bit healthier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The Walsho wrote: »
    I'm the same. Have been experimenting with coffee lately, but the other suggestions on here do sound a bit healthier!
    Coffee is a lifesaver for crammers, it's top stuff:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

I know it shouldn't be recommended but I find that Pro Plus caffeine tablets work 4 me! You can get them in any chemist. Vitamin C also helps to prevent you becoming run down, try it in those tabs that you dissolve in a glass of water, maybe Berocca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Like others have said, it seems like you're getting plenty of sleep, so as well as eating more fruit and veg if you're not already doing so, i would seriously recommend getting out for a brisk walk or even a jog when ever you can, even if it's only 10 minutes. That time will give you a chance to clear your head, get the blood flowing and to get out of the house away from worries about tests. I did my LC last year and i found that walking/running and general activity was the best cure for stress/tiredness, the day before my exams started when i was "cramming" for no real reason i found that after going for a 30 minute walk that it calmed me down. Good luck by the way, although by the sounds of things you're well on your way to getting your 420 points. It's only the mocks, it's there to give you an idea of where you are with your study and to let you experience state exams again.
    Alan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

DO NOT go down the coffee route! I used to drink four cups in the morning, and two when I got home, waking up in the middle of the night with my heart beating like I just ran a marathon is not fun, neither was giving up, down to two cups of tea a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Caffeine, caffeine, caffeine, caffeine, caffeine, caffeine, adderall, more caffeine and some more prescription amphetamines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

DO NOT go down the coffee route! I used to drink four cups in the morning, and two when I got home, waking up in the middle of the night with my heart beating like I just ran a marathon is not fun, neither was giving up, down to two cups of tea a day.
    That's chronic coffee drinking though. One cup a day at 6pm to perk you up for astudy session would do no harm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

One cup sets me off, must be an addictive personality. If only it worked with study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭betsymagoo

ah i dont do coffee because it keeps me awake to all hours... that might just be me but thats my experience... i do have to admit though it is hard to get to sleep because you keep running down through all the things you have left to do and study... any recommendations on that.... :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Don't take caffeine. You need to exercise a bit after your dinner - like somebody else said, go for a walk, do a few press ups or squats things like that. Get your brain moving. If you're eating lots of carbs for dinner you'll find you'll feel sluggish afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

well if u dont want to drink coffee there is always redbull.. its ok once in a while.. that keeps me studying until about 2am :D and the funny thing is that it is not too bad in the morning ))
    But be careful, might have a different affect on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

cut out caffene NOW !

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Tell your parents to let you sleep in in the morning if you have an early subject that you have already finished the course in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

Thanks everyone who replied, i really appreciate the help :). Yeah, I tried the coffee idea, but i cant stand the taste of the stuff.
    Good luck by the way, although by the sounds of things you're well on your way to getting your 420 points. It's only the mocks, it's there to give you an idea of where you are with your study and to let you experience state exams again.
    Alan
    Hopefully, although i know I'm not going to get 420 in the mocks . I suppose we're lucky this year with our mocks being so early. Thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Cut down on carbohydrates and eat more fruit and veg as others have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Apparently ADD medication works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tell your parents to let you sleep in in the morning if you have an early subject that you have already finished the course in...

I hope you were taking the piss, that's the worst advice i've ever heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I hope you were taking the piss, that's the worst advice i've ever heard!

Yeah. Speaking from experience, one class becomes two becomes three becomes "Holy **** my LC is in June and I haven't been to school since Decemeber".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Pete29 wrote: »
    Hey, Im in 6th year and mocks starts this friday. Im sure i'll do ok, but i want to get around 420 in my actual exams. Problem is Im tired every evening when i get home from school. So the normal 6 - 10pm i'd do would be pointless if im too tired to actually focus and retain the information. I usually go to bed around 11/12 ish and wake up at 8. Any tips to stop me being so tired in the evenings? (im fine during the day, its just when i get home it hits me). Also, would anybody have any study tips for french?

btw doing 5 honours 2 pass. Maths (drop down) and irish. Thanks
    Off point but I couldnt be more like you, im aiming for around 420 points in the leaving
    doing 5 honours and 2 pass
    maths and irish...
    and we go to bed at the same time (did I get drunk the other night and type that message or what like) and get up at the same time

anyway used to be tired a lot but used to it now and getting a fair bit of study done lately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Apparently ADD medication works wonders.

yeah its actually supposed to be amazing. you cant help concentrate on studying or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Fad wrote: »
    yeah its actually supposed to be amazing. you cant help concentrate on studying or something like that

It's illegal without prescription however, so don't go talking about where/how to get it or i'd say there'll be bannings handed out.

Best to just stick to the pro-plus;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I was the exact same way for me during 5th and 6th year. I was worse though, I used to get extremely tired in classes and generally throughout the day. My family thought for I while that I could have some form of sleep paralysis (my father has it) but it wasn't that. I usually ended up just having a nap when I got home from school, which usually made it easier to do homework. If you are going to have a nap to try and conteract it, then let me advise you that it should be no more than 35/40 minutes long. Otherwise it will just make you drowsy for the rest of the evening and probably **** up your sleeping later that night as well.

And regarding the retalin et al - their effects are completely over rated. And that's all I'll say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Sean_K wrote: »
    It's illegal without prescription however, so don't go talking about where/how to get it or i'd say there'll be bannings handed out.

Best to just stick to the pro-plus;)

nah dont worry i wont mention anyhting of the sort, the guy in my year who kinda offering to sell his,
    but then again prescription meds you dont need could only leed to trouble

Advertisement