Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

watching a marathon

• 28-01-2008 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

so my bro and a mate have decided to follow my progress at my first marathon. My brother, being the nerd that he is, has great plans of sticking a little device to my sheo and to the waistband of my shorts and tracking me, like a GPS thingy or a sat-nav in a car. Basically so he can see where i am on the course the whole time and get a taxi to various points of the marathon to laugh at me. Do any such things exist? is this just crazy talk!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jenc

TBH if it's dublin you're talking about getting a taxi round would be a bit silly he would be better off getting a bike and just following you around.

The device you are talking about does exist. I heard them talking about it on the radio. They use it for tracking kids mostly it was on around the time of Madeine mc Cann, not that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

jenc wrote: »
    TBH if it's dublin you're talking about getting a taxi round would be a bit silly he would be better off getting a bike and just following you around.

The device you are talking about does exist. I heard them talking about it on the radio. They use it for tracking kids mostly it was on around the time of Madeine mc Cann, not that expensive.

t'is for the london marathon in april, so neither of us really know the whole area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I think london are pretty fast with their chip time uploads. There are several mats along the course and each runner has an electronic chip. When they pass over a mat it is recorded and uploaded to the FLM website. Failing that, he could just take a mobile phone and ring you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

I think london are pretty fast with their chip time uploads. There are several mats along the course and each runner has an electronic chip. When they pass over a mat it is recorded and uploaded to the FLM website. Failing that, he could just take a mobile phone and ring you?

oh... this is all news to me! :) so at a variety of points along the course if he checks website he can see where i am and have a rough idea of where to go?

i've tried googling it but can only find one page with any info... any info?

EDIT: a more thorough search has found out about "championchip" but nothing yet as to how it can be used to track "in-race"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

http://results.london-marathon.co.uk will have the live results. There have been 10 km, 20 km, half, 30 km, 40 km and finish splits in previous years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement