Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Water Supply

Options
  • 28-01-2008 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Water supply in Grange was cut off without warning on Saturday.
    All calls to the Council's emergency phone were unanswered, even a message to call back.
    The Council know about this problem -the caretaker won't answer his phone - for a long time but have done nothing.
    Any ideas on how to sort this out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Thats bad. They should have at least have given some sort of warning.

It's probably because of so many new housing developments there are putting massive extra pressure on water services.

I heard there was also a problem like this in Carney last year, not sure if it was rectified yet.

You could try ringing the county council offices and try and see what the reason was or contact one of the county councilors from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

They did the same in our area for 3 days last summer, it was a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Our water was cut off in the summer too. When I phoned the water people they said that it was announced on Ocean fm :confused: I think I've only heard this station on in the doctor's surgery.... they seemed to think that this was enough notification....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Has it anything to do with this do you think? It was in the Sligo Champion as well. (Public notices section.) Unless you would be looking at these kind of things on a regular basis (and why would you) you'd miss it.
    http://www.sligococo.ie/YourCouncil/Name,8041,en.html

Anyway theres contact details of people in the right section and the director of water in Sligo. Otherwise ringing you local councillor is probably a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The cutoff was on Saturday so Council offices were closed. I saw the local Councillor who rang someone and eventually the water came back on. Whoever he spoke to knew nothing about the cutoff.

There is an "emergency number" which I rang twice without an answer; left a message the 2nd time but no response to that either.
    The problem seems to be that the guy with the phone never answers it and the Council management do not want to know about him. I complained before about this and got a letter from the Council which carefully ignored this failure.

Begining to think that moving to County Sligo - and Ireland - was a serious mistake. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I know a guy who works in a busy pub in town. About three weeks ago, the water stopped and the toilets died up. He rang the "emergency" number and the woman said she didn't think the water was off. He explained that it wasn't a random query and that the water was actually off. She said she'd look into it. At about four in the morning, he saw two guys with vans looking into a hole at the junction of Connelly Street and Mail Coach. Apparently it'd been knocked off earlier that evening, but took until midnight to actually drain what was left in the pipes. I suppose that was just an accident, but it's a bloody nuisance.
    If they're knocking off water and they know about it long enough to put a notice in the paper or on the radio, the least those to be affected should expect is a flier through the letterbox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Essexboy wrote: »
    The cutoff was on Saturday so Council offices were closed. I saw the local Councillor who rang someone and eventually the water came back on. Whoever he spoke to knew nothing about the cutoff.

There is an "emergency number" which I rang twice without an answer; left a message the 2nd time but no response to that either.
    The problem seems to be that the guy with the phone never answers it and the Council management do not want to know about him. I complained before about this and got a letter from the Council which carefully ignored this failure.

Begining to think that moving to County Sligo - and Ireland - was a serious mistake. :(

It is frustrating, especially if you have moved from somewhere that there is more visible and often actual attempts at accountabilty ( at the very least customer charters, downloadable complaints forms etc ). At least you feel like you are being taken seriously.
    Did you tell the councillor as well about the emergency number not been "manned"?

Sorry to hear your having such a bad experience.
    When the adminstrative side of Ireland gets frustrating best thing to do is take a walk up by the horse shoe glen (mind the bull) or streedagh strand. Those are the types of thingsyou'd miss I am sure if you were to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

There have been water problems in this area for the last quarter of a century. There have been endless requests to the councillors , TD's etc to do something about this...and did they? NO.

What did the local people do when they were obviously getting no respose from these clowns over the years? Vote the very same bozo's back to represent them over and over again.

They deserve their water problems don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jabby wrote: »
    There have been water problems in this area for the last quarter of a century. There have been endless requests to the councillors , TD's etc to do something about this...and did they? NO.

What did the local people do when they were obviously getting no respose from these clowns over the years? Vote the very same bozo's back to represent them over and over again.

Well said Jabby and welcome to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

There have been water problems in this area for the last quarter of a century.

Gonna have to disagree with you here. There may have been an infrequent loss of water services 15-25 years ago as there had been in areas all over the country but it wasn't as regular as it has been in the last few years. I think it is more of a recent issue.
    There have been endless requests to the councillors , TD's etc to do something about this...and did they? NO.

There is only so much a councilor can do. The county council don't seem to have the resources or ability, or maybe they could not be bothered to sort the issue out! I don't know.

But I think it is harsh to say the people living in the area deserve the problems. The op was speaking about Grange, this is just a small part of the Sligo/Drumcliffe electoral area. So why should people of one area be told it's their own fault for electing a councilor who may have recieved their votes from another area such as Drumcliff, Carney, Cliffoney etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I agree with you about the councillors but much of the problem is down to the Executive - the County Manager etc. - who are responsible for management of day-to-day services. They do not want to know about bad staff.

Advertisement