Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Pancakes

• 28-01-2008 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi

how exactly do u cook them? do u have the temp on high for the first side and then reduce it for the second side?

i always mess up the second side

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Same temp for both sides. Pour on the batter, wait until it starts to bubble on the surface, then flip it over and give it about the same amount of time on the other side.

This is for American-style pancakes (smaller, thicker ones). If you're making crepes, I think it's still similar.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

When I make crepes (in my lovely light weight super thin crepe pan) I have the pan on quite a high temp (gas for preference, so much easier than electric but renters can't be choosers ;) ) for both sides.

I watch the first side till the edges start to brown, then I flip it. The second side takes just long enough for me to grate some cheese on it and it to start to melt, so about 2-3 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

thanks.

yeah i shud have speicified that its the crepes im on about and not the american style pancakes.
    so what level from 1-6 shud both sides be done on?

cheers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Personally I think the pan should be very hot before starting. I was once told it should be just smoking but I think that's a little too hot, but it's not far off smoking when I start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

tSubh, every single time I used to make pancakes I made a dog's breakfast of the first one. It always burned on the first side. Then I got in the habit of superheating the pan, then cooling it - so on a 1-6 dial, turn it to six, wait until it's heated, then turn down to four, then add your batter.

I still occasionally make a mess of the first one, as though it's some sort of testing gauge for me to figure out what I'm making and at what temperature. It's such a regular occurence, if I'm honest, that I make enough batter to cover "one for the chickens".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

:D Yeah, the first one always goes to the dog. It's an immutable law of nature, as predictable as gravity. Same with chappatis. Wish someone could explain it.

Must try that overheating trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The pan should be hot enough to melt the butter quickly but not burn it. At least, that's my guide, I use a medium cast iron skillet for mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

dudara wrote: »
    The pan should be hot enough to melt the butter quickly but not burn it. At least, that's my guide, I use a medium cast iron skillet for mine.

Spot on. If the butter burns, the pan is too hot. Also when the batter is poured in, it with start to set, this makes the middle thicker when the pan is tilted and turned to spread the batter. I add a tablespoon of groundnut oil to the melted butter to help prevent it burning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

dudara wrote: »

I agree with this one - your first will STILL turn out crap though!!
    A good pan is also needed - no wonky bottoms! The heat has to be evenly distributed.
    Also give it a good scrub before, you don't want your first batch smelling of fish/onions/garlic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I always heat the pan enough so that the batter starts to cook as soon as it hits the pan and sizzles in any oil/butter I use. I wait until I start to see colour on the edges and flip over. The second side only takes seconds.

I prefer making them on a gas hob because you can regulate the heat easily, but they work well on any hob once you get used to it.

I've never had a problem with the first pancake so I'm lucky.

I have pancakes about once a week. (Crepes actually) But Pancake Tuesday is the one day I'll eat pancakes with chocolate in them for dinner. (This stems from the fact the myself and my sister were always allowed make the pancakes on Pancake Tuesday from the time we were around 7. We used to banish my mum from the kitchen so she had no chance to make a proper dinner!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement