Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Carefree Ad"...for men?

Options
  • 28-01-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fairy Wings

Hello Ladies!
    This is mt first time posting a thread on Boards.ie and I have been motivated to do so by ad I saw recently on tv. Many of you may have recently seen the new Carefree ad on a number of channels at the mo and if you havnt well you certainly won't miss it. The ad basically involves a young girl in her 20's prancing around in very skimpy underwear. Now don't get me wrong there are many ads out there involving women wearing very little but this particular ad has annoyed me for the following reasons:
    Any advertisements for pantyliners or another female hygeine products are directly aimed at women. And so they should be aimed at women and women only. There is no reason that an ad for such things should ever try to lure mens attention is there? I mean if a man suddenly notices an ad for tampons he isnt gona run out and buy them for his wife and teenage daughter and nor do we want him to! An an for pantyliners or tampons is actually the one ad that a teenage daughter dreads coming on the tv while she is watching the tv with her dad. I certainly remember the awkwardness I felt whenever one of those ads came on with my dad in the room and just cringing ang hoping he isn't paying attention.

Well this ad seems to be making a very deliberate attempt to draws mens attention to it and titilate our boyfriends and husbands. The girl in the add is wearing a thong at one stage and the camera zooms so far in that her ass takes up the entire tv screen. Now this girl has a very nice ass I cant take away from that but don't we ladies have enough of this already. Almost every other ad or programme or music video out there uses sex and a scantily clad women to get our attention but isn't "Carefree" supposed to be on our side? Isn't it an ad aimed at women and for women so why does it feel it needs to shove a girls bum in our face to sell their pantyliners. The media already does enough to make women feel self conscience and inadequate so why pantyliners want to do the same?

My boyfriend was watching this ad with me and he actually asked me before I had said a word on the subject, "do you think thats a bit much for an ad for pantyliners". This is clear proof, that my boyfriend noticed an ad for pantyliners and when has a man ever done that?

Well I just had to get that off my chest and I'd love to know what other women out there think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Yeah,tbh i think that ad's a bit retarded. It doesnt make any sense at all,like heres this barely dressed girl prancing around and its supposed to make us buy the product?? How is that advertising to women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

It is a bit like the Lacoste ad for aftershave with the naked bloke on it although it makes a bit more sense in that context as more women would buy aftershave for men than men buying pantyliners for woman. Not quite as romantic :)

I don't want the carefree ad taken off the tv though, it brightens up my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah why don't they have an ad where a girl is bowled over in pain with stomach cramps? Far more realistic.

Always thought ads like that were stupid....obviously lots of men working in the advertising department :rolleyes:

Obviously wearing them makes you feel happy carefree and sexy enough to prance around

or something

don't women's magazines have women on the front cover anyway?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Yeah why don't they have an ad where a girl is bowled over in pain with stomach cramps? Far more realistic.

Always thought ads like that were stupid....obviously lots of men working in the advertising department :rolleyes:
    Although the carefree ad is only for pantyliners.

Yeah I noticed it before and to be honest I think its a little much to be on early in the day..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fairy Wings

In response to "The Recliner". I think most women would agree that the Lacoste ad was a first and a well deserved and overdue treat for the female viewer. But I do not think it is the same really because there is nothing and I mean nothing sexy about pantyliners but I think both men and women can relate to an ad for aftershave. Women want to buy it for their man and men will feel attractive wearing it because a good looking man has been used to sell it. If they went and used Madonna to advertise tampons I would still never feel sexy wearing them! :p
    I think the ad should be taken off the tv, if anything just for the sake of the poor nervous dad subjected to watching it with his teenage daughter! :eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Obviously wearing them makes you feel happy carefree and sexy enough to prance around

or something

don't women's magazines have women on the front cover anyway?
    When really no matter how fabulous their product is your be sulking under a black cloud for about a week....

In response to "The Recliner". I think most women would agree that the Lacoste ad was a first and a well deserved and overdue treat for the female viewer. But I do not think it is the same really because there is nothing and I mean nothing sexy about pantyliners but I think both men and women can relate to an ad for aftershave. Women want to buy it for their man and men will feel attractive wearing it because a good looking man has been used to sell it. If they went and used Madonna to advertise tampons I would still never feel sexy wearing them! :p
    I think the ad should be taken off the tv, if anything just for the sake of the poor nervous dad subjected to watching it with his teenage daughter! :eek:

I wasn't trying to equate the two dear god there is no comparison to the two products

But it was the first example I could come up with of a similar type of marketing aimed at the opposite sex that would be using the product

I am guessing the lady in the ad is supposed to be carefree, still it makes a change from bungie jumping and roller blading ladies being used to advertise them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

yeah but if you use tampax cant you play soccer for brazil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fairy Wings

I wasn't trying to equate the two dear god there is no comparison to the two products

But it was the first example I could come up with of a similar type of marketing aimed at the opposite sex that would be using the product

I am guessing the lady in the ad is supposed to be carefree, still it makes a change from bungie jumping and roller blading ladies being used to advertise them

yeah I do get the concept of the ad but I just think they came at it from the wrong angle. Could the girl not be "Carefree" while wearing jeans? Even when the girl is wearing a skirt in the ad, we are given a deliberate glimpse of her ass as she dances around. whats that all about? A bit too provocative for an add for pantyliners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you don't like it then make a complaint to the advertising standards comission.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you don't like it then make a complaint to the advertising standards comission.
    What if she doesn't want to?

Pighead wrote: »
    What if she doesn't want to?

then she wont?

yeah I do get the concept of the ad but I just think they came at it from the wrong angle. Could the girl not be "Carefree" while wearing jeans? Even when the girl is wearing a skirt in the ad, we are given a deliberate glimpse of her ass as she dances around. whats that all about? A bit too provocative for an add for pantyliners.

If nothing else the ad has gotten people's attention which is sort of its purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

bluewolf wrote: »
    then she wont?
    Exactly. High five bluewolf, between us we've crushed Theadydydldydl and her domineering ways. And its all thanks to Carefree.

Bahahaha booo carefree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

The add worked on me, got a large pack, best yokes I ever had for blowin my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Jackz wrote: »
    The add worked on me, got a large pack, best yokes I ever had for blowin my nose.

Just make sure to use the right side, otherwise you'll look pretty stupid with a pantyliner stuck to your upper lip when you go out in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Am I missing something, or is the point of showing the model with the different types of underwear (and the visible ass) not to prove the whole advertisement's point - that the product is multi-purpose where underwear is concerned (it's the liner with the fold back wings that convert it for the underwear type you're using) and discreet? I thought it was quite clever really, to show a woman going through daily life bit by bit, and showing how the pantyliner is better than others because it can be worn during exercise, during the day and at night, regardless of how you dress. Sort of a "Whatever you wear, wear carefree, and you really will be care free" type lark. Yes, the woman happens to be a model, but to be honest, most if not all people on ads are. Why take offence at this one, which has been on tv for ages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I think everyone is missing the point of advertising in general here. This ad has clearly done its job because:

a) You are all talking about it

and

b) You all know what the ad is for

Ads don't have to make sense, they just have to get people to remember the product and talk about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,181 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I have not seen the ad but adverts are what Lady J has said, it just to get people to talk about them and remember the ad..

Its like Aero's why do they need a man in a towel to sell chocolate? To have people talk about the ad and to remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Its like Aero's why do they need a man in a towel to sell chocolate? To have people talk about the ad and to remember it.

You leave my future husband alone! He reinvented the whole idea of eating an aero!

3847487390a6735722196l.jpg

I love him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Eww. old Bung eye ^^

All ads (or at least most) aimed at women have hot women in them. It's to make us think that if we buy the product we may look like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

This thread opened my eyes, I had no idea that woman was scantily dressed for the benefit of us men :confused:

I thought the ad was horrifying, it shows a woman who is bleeding out of her you know what prancing around like a lunatic laughing her insane little head off like some demented reject off Barney.... and all the while bleeding!!!! :eek:

It's funny cos it seems to be giving most other male posters the horn whereas the girlfriend used to laugh at my cringing the entire way through this ad, I found it very unsettling and not in the least bit attractive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Pantyliners aren't for periods. It's to keep the fresh knicker feeling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

WindSock wrote: »
    Pantyliners aren't for periods. It's to keep the fresh knicker feeling...

Exactly. Kind of like weird disposable underwear!

Ads are stupid in general. I just tend not to watch them. The only ad worth anything on tv at the moment is the Carlsberg on where they talk nonsense phrases in Irish. Cracks me up everytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i can't help but wonder what estoban would say...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Women want to buy it for their man and men will feel attractive wearing it because a good looking man has been used to sell it.

Though the reality is that probably a large number of males think along the lines of "oh, god she bought me the aftershave with that gay bloke on the ad, is she trying to get the lads after me?!" while the rest of us don't even remember the ad for the simple fact that the straight male mind is far less likely to remember the appearance of another male than they are a female, and vice versa for straight women.
    As such most ads with an "attractive" male, the male is there for the females, and of no interest what-so-ever for the males (they could have a plain and ordinary bloke and we'd still remember as little about the advertisement).

Can't say the carefree ad has any impact on me, vaguely remember it, but I find it hilarious the amount of fuss there tends to be over the various ads with women intended to look alluring/attractive when compared to ads with males in similar roles/situations.
    Ever since the diet coke ads there have been an increasing number of adverts with muscled men posing, clearly for the female viewers, and some even casting the males as servants to women in the ads.

Surely with an increasing number of ads and poster campaigns featuring men naked from the waste up, should women not be featured in similar attire (or lack there-of), in the spirit of equality and such?:D (I am kidding, attempting to make a point in a rather extreme fashion before anyone gets upset)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Damn them, so many hilarious ads were pulled because some uptight twit took offense. E.g. the doggy breath wrigleys one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

My favourite add to be honest. At least it gives me something to look at while a product that has nothing to do with me is advertised to it's intended market.
    I say: Bravo to the considerate ad type people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,181 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LadyJ wrote: »
    You leave my future husband alone! He reinvented the whole idea of eating an aero!

3847487390a6735722196l.jpg

I love him....

Sorry Lady J

Advertisement