Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Carefree Ad"...for men?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Sorry Lady J

It's Jason Lewis you should be apologising to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

All advertising aimed at women pisses me of.
    Im sorry but when you have your period you want to wear big pants and hide it from the world not flaunting about in a little thong. No women looks that good or that happy galivanting in a little skirt when theyve got their period.
    Bodyform or whatever this ad is advertising isnt most certainly not the worst ad aimed at women on at the mo. The new nivea ones wreck my head. 'Beauty is a mood', 'beauty is a stolen momenet' well If it bloody is then why dont you f*ck of nivea and stop trying to ponce your stupid products on me. In the ads they have women with flawless tanned skin,spakling teeth, gorgeous looking so obviously beauty isnt just a mood.
    These sort of ads are the most dangerous for women as there telling us that beauty is in the inside,yet their trying to sell us firming,anti angeing creams.lip glosses to make us look better on the outside. It completly doesnt make sense.If beauty is on the inside then surely Nivea and all the other makeup comapnys can pack up and go home.
    Im sick of shaving my legs,armpits,tweezing my eyebrows etc etc just cos society dictates it for us

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Huggy Bare

Hello Ladies!
    This is mt first time posting a thread on Boards.ie and I have been motivated to do so by ad I saw recently on tv. Many of you may have recently seen the new Carefree ad on a number of channels at the mo and if you havnt well you certainly won't miss it. The ad basically involves a young girl in her 20's prancing around in very skimpy underwear. Now don't get me wrong there are many ads out there involving women wearing very little but this particular ad has annoyed me for the following reasons:
    Any advertisements for pantyliners or another female hygeine products are directly aimed at women. And so they should be aimed at women and women only. There is no reason that an ad for such things should ever try to lure mens attention is there? I mean if a man suddenly notices an ad for tampons he isnt gona run out and buy them for his wife and teenage daughter and nor do we want him to! An an for pantyliners or tampons is actually the one ad that a teenage daughter dreads coming on the tv while she is watching the tv with her dad. I certainly remember the awkwardness I felt whenever one of those ads came on with my dad in the room and just cringing ang hoping he isn't paying attention.

Well this ad seems to be making a very deliberate attempt to draws mens attention to it and titilate our boyfriends and husbands. The girl in the add is wearing a thong at one stage and the camera zooms so far in that her ass takes up the entire tv screen. Now this girl has a very nice ass I cant take away from that but don't we ladies have enough of this already. Almost every other ad or programme or music video out there uses sex and a scantily clad women to get our attention but isn't "Carefree" supposed to be on our side? Isn't it an ad aimed at women and for women so why does it feel it needs to shove a girls bum in our face to sell their pantyliners. The media already does enough to make women feel self conscience and inadequate so why pantyliners want to do the same?

My boyfriend was watching this ad with me and he actually asked me before I had said a word on the subject, "do you think thats a bit much for an ad for pantyliners". This is clear proof, that my boyfriend noticed an ad for pantyliners and when has a man ever done that?

Well I just had to get that off my chest and I'd love to know what other women out there think.

Welcome to the forum, i've just joined also!

This might be of some help to answer your question!

Q: How do men know when a woman's on her period?

A: When she's off Rollerblading, Playing Volleyball, Wearing an extremely white pair of shorts or trousers and sky-diving..! I could go on but this is a short joke.

Of course men are aware of Tampon and Pantyliner adverts, you cant miss them - they're funny as funk most of the time - women are usually so active and happy unlike the reality - mood swings etc..... we still love ya's though!

Ask any man if he's ever been in a room with his family - Mum, Sisters and Aunties and Cousins and a advert of the above nature pops up and he'll not funking forget about that in a hurry - scarred for life!

Men pay more attention to what happens with women than women care to believe. Personally, i've bought Tampons for my ex - pretty embarassing at first but then i just said funk it - she needs them and atleast she's not pregnant so having the dilemma of being embarassed buying the little buggers far out-weighed the fact that she didnt need them for the next 9/10 mths or so!

That chick in that advert has a great hoop on her alright - i'd buy her Pantyliners any day of the week aslong as she bought the condoms :D;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

panda100 wrote: »
    All advertising aimed at women pisses me of.
    Im sorry but when you have your period you want to wear big pants and hide it from the world not flaunting about in a little thong. No women looks that good or that happy galivanting in a little skirt when theyve got their period.
    Bodyform or whatever this ad is advertising isnt most certainly not the worst ad aimed at women on at the mo. The new nivea ones wreck my head. 'Beauty is a mood', 'beauty is a stolen momenet' well If it bloody is then why dont you f*ck of nivea and stop trying to ponce your stupid products on me. In the ads they have women with flawless tanned skin,spakling teeth, gorgeous looking so obviously beauty isnt just a mood.
    These sort of ads are the most dangerous for women as there telling us that beauty is in the inside,yet their trying to sell us firming,anti angeing creams.lip glosses to make us look better on the outside. It completly doesnt make sense.If beauty is on the inside then surely Nivea and all the other makeup comapnys can pack up and go home.
    Im sick of shaving my legs,armpits,tweezing my eyebrows etc etc just cos society dictates it for us

WOOOOOOOOO <3 Panda!

My favourite ad from years ago was the tampax ad with the dr alban song... its my life. Yes we all want to go rollar blading when we have our periods.. bullshti we all want to inhale a box of painkillers and sit on the couch with a duvet and watch tv!

FUCK OFF STUPID ADVERTISMENTS

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Huggy Bare

I see this is a touchy subject for alot of girls, I can only imagine discomfort the time of the month brings and the last thing you wanna see on the telly is some chick having a great time when the reality is very different!

Have you noticed that most of the ads dont feature men in them - probably cause most of them are in the pub working on the Dutch Courage to face the frying pan later on that nite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

bluewolf wrote: »
    don't women's magazines have women on the front cover anyway?
    Yep, according to research: want to sell a men's magazine? Put a beautiful woman on the front. Want to sell a women's magazine? Put a beautiful woman on the front.
    Women love looking at women - and it's not even sexual. My mate and I were just talking about this ad tonight (haven't seen it myself). My mate is absolutely mesmerised by it and thinks it's the best ass she's ever seen. She's not into girls at all. I think it's simply because she aspires to have a bum like the girl in the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,457 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What's with that blue liquid they pour on to show how absorbent they are though? If I wanted blue wings ...... :p

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Panda - if you don't want to do those things, then don't! Seriously! It's your body, it's entirely your prerogative.

Personally, I'm pretty lucky, have a bit of cramping day one, nothing a few neurofen plus won't kill, and then I'm grand, so it never stops me from doing whatever. Those ads would be my life, if I was hot, so once again, I have no problem with them and actually think they're pretty clever. I feel that people who have time to stress over them either have too much time on their hands or are on an unnecessarily feminist rampage for some unbknown reason - just my opinion though. Plus, there's always the remote. It might happen that the same ad is on another channel as you flick over, but it's unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, according to research: want to sell a men's magazine? Put a beautiful woman on the front. Want to sell a women's magazine? Put a beautiful woman on the front.
    Women love looking at women - and it's not even sexual. My mate and I were just talking about this ad tonight (haven't seen it myself). My mate is absolutely mesmerised by it and thinks it's the best ass she's ever seen. She's not into girls at all. I think it's simply because she aspires to have a bum like the girl in the ad.

Yup, *generalisation incoming* supposedly men can't tell if another man is attractive whereas women can tell if another woman is attractive as, historically, attractiveness is what women had to use to compete for mates, whereas for males it was in strength/fighting ability (trying to be the alphamale).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

panda100 wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. Why are you doing all that stuff so? You could stop right at this second if you really wanted to, but do you actually want to? You can say society forces you all you want, but the reality is it's unattractive for a woman to be hairy - a socially constructed notion no doubt about it, but nevertheless it IS a reality. And can you honestly say you'd feel comfortable if you stopped doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

farohar wrote: »
    Yup, *generalisation incoming* supposedly men can't tell if another man is attractive whereas women can tell if another woman is attractive as, historically, attractiveness is what women had to use to compete for mates, whereas for males it was in strength/fighting ability (trying to be the alphamale).

Thats what I thought, but my ex used to take note if I were talking to a handsome man, whereas if it were a not so handsome man I was talking to, he wouldn't say anything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Adverts for tights and underwear always seem like they are aimed at men and not women but thats understandable because they are garments that we buy to feel sexy etc. But panty liners have no connection with sex appeal at all, so I don't see the point in the advert at all.

WindSock wrote: »
    Thats what I thought, but my ex used to take note if I were talking to a handsome man, whereas if it were a not so handsome man I was talking to, he wouldn't say anything :)

Maybe you're right it is quite concievable that although we don't admit to knowing another guy is attractive the knowledge is there in our subconscious, also possible that something in your behaviour was tipping him off too though, or even that from prior events he'd learned what you found attractive in a guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

farohar wrote: »
    Maybe you're right it is quite concievable that although we don't admit to knowing another guy is attractive the knowledge is there in our subconscious, also possible that something in your behaviour was tipping him off too though, or even that from prior events he'd learned what you found attractive in a guy.

Or maybe he was just a paranoid doped psychotic schizo who accused me of having an affair with a lampost.
    To come to think of it, he was like that with anyone else I talked to. Even girls :eek:

ahem, that aside...it would be interesting to see who males idols are, or ones they would go gay for. My guess is that they are handsome men as role models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Mmmm, the last thing I want to do when having my period is prance around in sexy underwear which shows my bottom, so I can understand the p1ssedoffness of the ladies.

However the lady in the ad has a seriously lovely arse it has to be said;).

panda100 wrote:

Then don't do it? Is someone holding a gun to your head?
    Geez, catch me dead before you'd find me with a tweezers near my eyebrows

WindSock wrote: »
    ahem, that aside...it would be interesting to see who males idols are, or ones they would go gay for. My guess is that they are handsome men as role models.

Well guys I'd idolise:
    David Hahn & Sam Barros so guess it's all about the intellect, or at least the scientific achievement (mucking about with radiation with little protection wouldn't be most peoples' idea of "intelligent") for me.:)

As for ones I'd "go gay" for, can't say that I've ever seen a guy and thought about it.

Advertisement