Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement for car being repaired under warranty

Options
  • 28-01-2008 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a 06 VW Passat which has been having electrical 'difficulties' lately (Cruise Control working intermittently, parking sensors the same, wdjusting the right wing mirror adjusts both mirrors and the dash/centre console lights have been flashing off occasionally). Anyway, I dropped it into Foster Motors before christmas for a service and asked them to look at it. The had to book it in again last week to do the repairs. As it is still under warranty (until mid-march) I get a free replacement. Problem is that I have three kids - two 2 year old twins and a 7 year old, which means I need enough space in the back seat for two full baby seats and 1 booster seat. As a replacement, I've been given a Polo. Now it's a nice Polo, 07 and still has a new car smell. However, there's not enough space in the back for the three seats. This means that the two baby seats are on the outside and my older child has to sit in the middle with no booster.
    My situation is that my wide and I both work in the same building and the two kids are close enough in a creche and we drop the older one into school on our way to work. So we're in a situation where we're breaking the law everytime we're all in the car. I've repeatedly asked Foster's for a bigger car, but they only have 8 Polos and 1 Passat for use as replacements and obviously the Passat is always out. I have no problem with Fosters, they seems to be doing all they can to find the problem, but they have had my car since last Monday and it seems to be that it's going to take at least until the end of next week before it's repaired (finding the problem first and then ordering the parts in from Germany).
    I've checked with my insurance co. and they only provide a replacement if my car is off the road bacuse of a crash. I'm going to get onto Volkswagen Ireland tomorrow to find out if they can do anything, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if they have any obligation to provide a similar replacement ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your best bet is to contact VW as you stated. Call 01 409 4444 and ask for VW customer service. Be advised that while a replacement car is provided, they do not operate a 'like for like' policy, so don't expect miracles, but they may get you a hire car depending on your problem.

And for future reference, you'll usually get a better car from the likes of Enterprise if you call in the fault as a breakdown through VWs assistance number which is operated by the AA. Needless to say, if the AA guy fixes the fault or deems it not to be a safety issue, then you will still have to drive it to the dealer.

EDIT - One more thing, VW used to only give a car for a max of three days - I'm not sure if that's still the case, but watch out for it just in case you're landed with a rental bill at the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On VW's, both mirrors adjusting at the same time is a feature.
    If you adjust the drivers side first, then the passenger side, handy sometimes if you move your seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    On VW's, both mirrors adjusting at the same time is a feature.
    If you adjust the drivers side first, then the passenger side, handy sometimes if you move your seat.

Correct. If you select the right mirror both will adjust. If you select the left mirror then it will adjust independent of the right. This has been the case with VWs since the 1997 Passat.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hi All,Problem is that I have three kids - two 2 year old twins and a 7 year old, which means I need enough space in the back seat for two full baby seats and 1 booster seat. As a replacement, I've been given a Polo. Now it's a nice Polo, 07 and still has a new car smell. However, there's not enough space in the back for the three seats. This means that the two baby seats are on the outside and my older child has to sit in the middle with no booster.
    The law is there for a reason. You should not place your kids at risk because it suits them.
    Walk in with the kids and refuse to leave until you have been given a car that matches the one you bought (in part so that it would allow you to drive your kids legally).
    Let the kids run loose around the showroom until they pay you some attention. They have enough cars if they really wanted to give you one. Bring a few chocolate bars and tell the reps that the kids will need feeding soon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

kbannon wrote: »
    The law is there for a reason. You should not place your kids at risk because it suits them.
    Walk in with the kids and refuse to leave until you have been given a car that matches the one you bought (in part so that it would allow you to drive your kids legally).
    Let the kids run loose around the showroom until they pay you some attention. They have enough cars if they really wanted to give you one. Bring a few chocolate bars and tell the reps that the kids will need feeding soon!!!

I like it, would be worth the laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Also bring Coke, lots of it. And a load of noisy toys. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Not having kids i have never found myself in this situation.....in your case you cant go about your daily business without a bigger car....Im sure they will sort you out if you ask the service and sales managers nicely.
    I wouldnt bother annoying them with your kids ect as other posters have advised....thats just childish and silly.
    At the end of the day they want your repeat custom.....let them know they have it if they sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah I wouldn't break the law just 'cos of their lack of resources !

That said I think you are lucky to recieve a courtesy car at all, since the factory dont actually claim to offer them when warranty work is being carried out. Therefore it is at the discretion of the dealer. I'm sure if you go back and explain to the salesman he could work something out !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

thanks for the advice. I have contacted VW this morning. Let's see what they come back with. I didn't want to hassle the garage too much as I bought the car used from a Renault dealer, so i don't feel like they owe me anything at all. As I said above, I think they are doing the best they can.

And I deffo wouldn't want to inflict my kids on them - I want them to fix my car, not bring it off somewhere and burn it out!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The fact is that they were given a courtesy car. Furthermore, as the dealer are aware of the predicament yet still supply a car that endangers the OPs kids life, IMO the dealer effectively don't care about their customers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement