Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend in Dublin

Options
  • 28-01-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am heading down to Dublin on the 8th of Feb for the weekend for my 18th birthday. There is 6 of heading down aged 18-20 and we are staying in the Camden Court. I've stayed here a few times before but only with my mum and dad.

I've been trying to look for good places for us to head out but keep getting mixed reviews.

On the Friday night we are planning to head to Temple Bar and go to Fitzsimmons for a few drinks then head to a club, maybe Copper Face Jacks but im not entirely sure.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good clubs to hit? Looking for places that will play the latest music, such as charts, rnb etc and don't charge over the odds for drink. :D

Help will be much appreciated

Kirsty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Maybe head for The Palace on Camden Street on Friday night, younger crowd than Coppers, free in and close to your hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭thetaxman

Go to the Arlington on Bachelors walk. Good bar until 12.30 then 7/8 euro into the nightclub below. The place really kicks off around half one. Loads of people on the pickup and the booze is not that pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kirstycfc

xebec wrote: »
    Maybe head for The Palace on Camden Street on Friday night, younger crowd than Coppers, free in and close to your hotel.

I've heard about there but thought it was full of drugs? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

kirstycfc wrote: »
    I've heard about there but thought it was full of drugs? :confused:

I'm not sure there is anywhere in Dublin that isn't full of drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭thetaxman

meglome wrote: »
    I'm not sure there is anywhere in Dublin that isn't full of drugs.

I'm not sure if it is that bad, although the stuff is a disgrace, parasites living off the vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Seriously, why go to Temple Bar? It's just a ripoff for tourists plus almost every pub is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kiki_

My favourite club is the Pod, but if you're looking for chart stuff, then Tripod is pretty good. It's huge and there's a few different rooms with different music, and a decent smoking area. It's a pretty mixed age group. The Palace is pretty popular with your age group too. I don't like it cos I don't like the music, but a lot of my friends love / loved it and the crowd are a good laugh.

We were planning on going to the Pod but then found it it was all house and dance music.

What type of music does The Palace play?

Usually a mix of chart, dance and r&b, just regular disco music really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

If you're only down to the city for one night shouldn't you be going to Flannerys and then onto Coppers? I thought that's what every non dubliner did.

Seriously though avoid Temple Bar. Horrible.

Try D2 to start because it's in your hotel. Fairly busy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

The Palace is over 20s, and tripod and d2 are on the weekend too. Actually so is Coppers. But sometimes you can talk your way in

Are there actually any places over 18? Shouldn't have said that, got my worried now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

dont worry about over 20's bull. if youre over 18 and not pissed/dubious looking you'll be fine.

i'd aviod coppers, flannerys and fizsimons like the plague.

there's lots of great places on camden street. the palace would probably suit you nicely. you might like the village too.

Where abouts is The Village and what music is played there ?

Thanks for the help btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

The Village is on Camden St / Wexford St. Not sure about what kind of music they play there. I've only been there for gigs. RiRa on George's St was fun last time I was there.

George's St, Anguier St, Wexford St and Camden St are all one long road by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

:| wrote: »
    The Palace is over 20s
    If you mean that they do not admit under 20's, then that would be illegal. Once a person has reached the legal age to be served/consume alcohol, then they can't be refused admission based on their age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

If you mean that they do not admit under 20's, then that would be illegal. Once a person has reached the legal age to be served/consume alcohol, then they can't be refused admission based on their age.

Really?? There are quite a lot of clubs that have this policy.You saying its illegal then??

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but as far as I know that was the situation a few years ago. Clubs now can and do discriminate on age, in fact I know more places that do than don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

xebec wrote: »
    Don't mean to rain on your parade, but as far as I know that was the situation a few years ago. Clubs now can and do discriminate on age, in fact I know more places that do than don't.
    I thought The Palace was a pub. The regulations for clubs are different alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I thought The Palace was a pub.

I don't think the OP would be interested in that Palace (the one on Fleet St.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

If you like popular chart music, Camden Street area is probably not the best. If your going to Temple Bar, Buskers and Boomerangs is probably your best bet for that. It's pricey though, but then again everywhere is in Dublin. Tripod is a dance music venue, and most of the places around Camden/Wexford/Georges Street are studenty indie types. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 spantos

People need to lay off Temple Bar! Now I wouldn't be going there every weekend but me n my friends head there every now and again and it's a great laugh! People there seem to be more up for the craic than some you'd find elsewhere in town! You can chat to random foreigners too!

If you're looking for chart stuuf,stay away from camden st. tripod's probably your best bet...

Tripod is the best club in Dublin in my opinion, but Its primarily a dance music venue. If that's what your into the then Tripods the place to go. But this girl seemed a bit sketchy about the amount of drugs in some places, so I'd give Tripod a wideberth.

If you want a bit of cheese, Buskers is the place to go. Plays basic chart stuff, nothing too heavy.

Found a place called Twenty One Club, it sounds good so we might give in here a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Club M in Bloom's Hotel's a bit of craic as well.

Twenty one is a good spot, not far from Temple Bar. The only thing about it is that sometimes the bouncers can be a bit strict on age. If your only turning 18 it could be dodgy but you should be ok. Once you don't look like a skanger you should be grand. Club M is the same, a good spot, but Bouncers can be sketchy. I think though its more so with dodgy lookin young blokes.

We were looking to go to Club M but think it was for over 21's.

If its a group of girls, respectable lookin, and you're fairly sober going in you should be ok. Most places will tend to be more strict towards lads who look a bit sketchy

If its a group of girls, respectable lookin, and you're fairly sober going in you should be ok. Most places will tend to be more strict towards lads who look a bit sketchy

Theres 3 girls and 3 fella's going.

All the fella's are always well dressed so hopefully that won't be a problem.

• Advertisement

You should be fine. Yous will get in somewhere. If yous get in somewhere early yous wont have a problem. If you go up late with a few drinks on yous and a big Q when the bouncers have the hump, then you might find it tricky. Sorry for sounding negative about getting into places, I just dont have that high an opinion of bouncers. Some of them are muppets who wont let you in for no reason.

Advertisement