Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6300 - General Problems

• 28-01-2008 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

I know theres another thread on the forum about someone dropping their 6300 down the jax but have any other users experienced poor performance issues with this handset :confused:

I have mine 3 months and in that time I have seen the battery life whittle down to 1 hours talk time - the handset switches itself off randomly on and off calls whilst the screen goes blank for a minute while it decides whether or not it will resynch itself and finally the partypiece of freezing up and rendering itself unusable, only fixable by removing the battery :mad::mad::mad:

I brought it into the Vodafone shop on Grafton St last week and the guy I spoke to said he has someone in everyday and they have recognised it as a software failure as being synonomous with this phone so they recommend getting something else ! Arrrgghhh! I like the handset, I just want the bloody thing to work ! Is that too much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

leave it in for repair. thousands of them have been sold and they don't all have that problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

leave it in for repair. thousands of them have been sold and they don't all have that problem

Exactly. Both myself and Mrs. Dunne both have one for that past six months and neither has given any trouble, apart from modest battery life.

Ok, crap battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Punter in the office did that, phone gone for 2 weeks and got it back and same problems.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Punter in the office did that, phone gone for 2 weeks and got it back and same problems.

yeah that happens sometimes but it doesn't happen every time. if you want it back sooner, bring it to mprc (www.mprc.ie) and they'll fix it in three hours

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Does the vodafone model come with that crappy vodafone menus and software?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

I have a 6300 and have had nothing but trouble from it since I bought it last September. I have returned it twice to the Meteor store where I bought it and they sent it away for repair. Both times it came back it still has the same fault.

Can I send this phone to www.mprc.ie for repair instead? I thought that I had to return it to where I bought it?

Cheers
    Jason

you don't have to no. you're probably thinking of the law that the retailer can't force you to go to the manufacturer. you can bring it to mprc

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

That's great so, thanks!!

Does the vodafone model come with that crappy vodafone menus and software?

Yeah mine has all the vodafone backgrounds and welcome message etc.

But judging by Shyboy's experience and he is with Meteor it would appear that its something more than just the branding updates.

Its a dirtbox! I've actually just watched it turn itself off and back on again as I'm typing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

make sute you inform meteor about bringing the phone to mprc as unauthorised repair or tampering will void any/all warranties

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    make sute you inform meteor about bringing the phone to mprc as unauthorised repair or tampering will void any/all warranties

mprc are fully qualified to repair phones. they'll charge nokia for the repair. its not unauthorised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

ok just to clarify does this mean when my phone breaks and still in warranty, i can bring it to mprc and they will fix it free of charge?

ok just to clarify does this mean when my phone breaks and still in warranty, i can bring it to mprc and they will fix it free of charge?

yes

If only i knew about this 2 weeks ago, meteor sent off my phone, got it back 10 days later, was worse than when i sent it off, and now they've sent it off again. this would have been so much handier.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Mine also is a bit weird, whenever i have to turn it on, it will take about 10 mins for the phone to work, first it will freeze, 5 mins after it will unfreeze, and then take 5 mins for the sim to load up my messages/contacts.

I havent brought it back yet as i dont want to wait 10 days without a phone, plus i never turn off the phone, so its not that a bit problem!

as we've found out, if you give it to mprc they'll usually have it done in 3 hours. they're in sandyford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Mine is a bit messed up too. Great phone easily but the battery is terrible (got a stanley to a BL-5C battery and it helps a lot).

My main problem is where the charger fits in, it's loose. I mean, sometimes my phone won't charge and I have to position is carefully to charge because the charger head just wants to fall out.

Also the vibration can stop sometimes, the fix - move the charging point on my phone a bit and it works... what the hell?!?

Username! wrote: »
    Mine is a bit messed up too. Great phone easily but the battery is terrible (got a stanley to a BL-5C battery and it helps a lot).

My main problem is where the charger fits in, it's loose. I mean, sometimes my phone won't charge and I have to position is carefully to charge because the charger head just wants to fall out.

Also the vibration can stop sometimes, the fix - move the charging point on my phone a bit and it works... what the hell?!?

sounds like you need to send it off for repair, when your phone is charging the phone won't vibrate, so i presume the phone just still thinks its charging when its not.

I got that as well ! I assumed it was the charger but maybe not ! The headset also stopped working on it :(

I've just replaced it for a 6120 so hope that works out a little better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

(got a stanley to a BL-5C battery and it helps a lot).

surely using a battery or accessory not designed for your particular handset and not specifically recommended by the manufacturer will VOID your warranty immediately!

and the charger cable being loose could be many things most likely customer damage though from the phone being pulled away while still connected to the charger!

also refer to www.consumerconnect.ie for details of where you should return faulty goods for warrenty repairs afaik it states return to the store you purchased from as your contract of sale is with this store and NOWHERE else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Exactly. Both myself and Mrs. Dunne both have one for that past six months and neither has given any trouble, apart from modest battery life.

Ok, crap battery life.

One issues with my 6300, kind of related to the sh1t battery life, if i plug in the charger while on the phone, it just freezes and i have to remove the battery to get it gonig again.

Also when it's powered up, cannot accesss memory (text messages and phone book) for a few minutes.

• Advertisement

exact same problem i have, cant access memory and phone freezes when i turn it on!

software issues it seems.
    Glad its not just me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Beautiful looking phone but gave nothing but problems. I could deal with the fact you have to charge the battery on a daily basis but mine had a habit of rebooting itself.... more often than not when i was in the middle of a call. Every so often there would be a loud screech out of it too before it restarted. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

exact same problem i have, cant access memory and phone freezes when i turn it on!

software issues it seems.

what version firmware you usig, am on v5.5...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I've had none of the problems listed above (oh, except for the crap battery life).

However, Opera Mini is a different story. I've followed the setup instructions as per Voda's website, but cannot get Opera Mini to work. It always stops half way through starting up with "cannot connect to network". Surfing via vodafone live browser is fine. Incidentally, I can't receive MMS either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

My phone had the same problem of starting- restarting. Its to do with the firmware on the phone, my dodgy 6300 have v5.0 used keep turining on off. Tried to update the software off the web but it restarted itself while it was reflashing. Handed it back to vodafone got it back 4weeks later with v5.50 which works a bit better. Still crap battery life though.

The site for the software upgarde is:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4579163

and you will need a data cable to connect to your p.c.to upgrade the phone. What ever happened to the reliability nokia used to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

ive used about 7 of these phones and all of them have serious firmware issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

The 6300 has battery issues on all networks.

My 6233 used to just power itself down and up when I first got it. I just accepted it and it stopped doing it. It recently did it again but is quite rare so it doesn't really bother me and there is no data loss.

I put it down to something that I have done on the handset at some stage and the phone has no choice but to reboot, not unlike on a PC where you get the bluescreen error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

lfc1892 wrote: »
    I put it down to something that I have done on the handset at some stage and the phone has no choice but to reboot, not unlike on a PC where you get the bluescreen error.

Yeah, I noticed now since I started using the web on my 6300, it's crashing a helluva lot, which it never did before.

Having said that, Google Maps looks cool on it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ah crap it :mad:

my 6300 just died today, have only had it around 6 months.

I was listening to music this morning and pulled out the earphones when I got into work. The phone powered down and now whenever I try to restart it the blue lights on the side light up but thats it, nothing else, I don't see the Nokia logo and the screen doesn't light up.

I've taken out the battery for an hour, taken out the SIM card and microSD card and still no go.

From doing some research it looks like a load of people have been experiencing this issue just in the last few months which is odd.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

foggy_lad wrote: »
    surely using a battery or accessory not designed for your particular handset and not specifically recommended by the manufacturer will VOID your warranty immediately!

and the charger cable being loose could be many things most likely customer damage though from the phone being pulled away while still connected to the charger!

also refer to www.consumerconnect.ie for details of where you should return faulty goods for warrenty repairs afaik it states return to the store you purchased from as your contract of sale is with this store and NOWHERE else!

I have a 6300 which when I first bought it within the 1st 6months gave trouble the local vodafone shop couldnt repair it (they cant deal with compicated repairs and I suspected it was a flash memory problem. Syntoms included turning itself off randomly on calls etc (firmware version was 5.00).
    waited over 6weeks phone was beyond repair so they gave me a new one (my phone was insured at the time).

3 months later the charging block on the phone detached from the PCB board inside the phone so the phone couldnt be charged. Also it started behaving strange again dropping calls etc (firmware version was 5.50). My phone was no longer insured at this point.

The phone spent 6months in a drawer at home until I got the inclination to repair it. New Charging blocks for this mobile can be bought online (7euro delivered from UK) and require re soldering to the phones PCB board. It can be done it your handy and patient with a soldering iron. BTW there is very little solder there from the previous charging block probably the reason why it came loose in the 1st place :mad:

I also upgraded the firmware on the mobile to the latest available from Nokia support website which is firmware 7.21. Phone no longer restarts and behaves like it should still questionable battery. Although it makes you wonder that there must have been alot of problems with the firmware releases to go from 5.00 to 7.21!

Advertisement