Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how do scrappage deals work?

Options
  • 28-01-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

when a garage says up to 3k off scrappage deal, how are they making money? i have a 01 corsa that i would like to get rid off but im hoping a garage brings back the scrappage deals this summer, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

up to 3k scrappage means some car maker is discouting a car by 3k and getting your car for free. Trick is you end up with an outdated unpopular car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ah so if was looking for a 1.7 astra or something, i wouldn't neccesarily get the choice off the dealer

I would've thought the 1.3 was the diesel engine to go for in the Astra?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

really? im not gonna buy until the summer so i have yet to do the research, i just assumed the 1.7 would be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Back in the early 80ies the old man bought a new MK1 Golf Diesel van, he thought he was clever by converting it into a car, ie took the rear seats out of a beetle and fitted windows. Then in the mid 90ies the government scrappage deal came in, he wanted to cash in on it and get a new car. They refused to entertain him because it was still registered on the log book as a van..he was sickened.

You get nothing for nothing, the private scrappage deals offered by motor dealers is a scam to get you to purchase old stock just months before a new model is about to appear, they might even throw a set of alloys, or a sun roof and into the deal!!. If they dont shift this stock they are stuck with it and will have to reduce its price anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Slightly off topit but the Astra is available in 1.3. 1.7 and 1.9 diesel. 1.3 and 1.9 are definately Fiat Multi-jet engines. I think the 1.7 is a GM unit carried over from the previous generation Astra.

I drove a 1.7 model 05 Astra Elite, Can't say it was more powerful than the 1.3 Based on an Isuzu engine IIRC.

Well the 1.7 litre has only 100bhp compared to the 1.3 litre's 90bhp. Though the 1.7 litre does have superior torque.

was it 100bhp back in 05 or did it get uprated when the 1.3 came out?

Think is was a 100bhp since the current Astra was launched back in 2004.

• Advertisement

jebus! didn't feel that quick. then again peak HP and torque is only half the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    Slightly off topit but the Astra is available in 1.3. 1.7 and 1.9 diesel. 1.3 and 1.9 are definately Fiat Multi-jet engines. I think the 1.7 is a GM unit carried over from the previous generation Astra.

1.7 is the isuzu engine which imo is the best but haven said that , iszuzu just happen to be the best car on the road ( with some of the worst driverson the road :rolleyes: )

either way if your buying an astra your not getting a bad car though i thought a 01 corsa would be worth more mianly because its the insurable 1 liter model and its not that old ! :confused:

Advertisement