Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 306 1.8 Diesel

Options
  • 28-01-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just put the 306 through the NCT. NO problems, excellent. She has 106,000 on the clock so far with only regular services. Only slight problem involved a busted rear left wheel cylinder. This cost €500 to right, as both cylinders had to be replaced to restore balance and the pads were destroyed due to brake fluid leakage. When I suggested power washing the pads and cleaning with wire brush to help reduce the costs, I was reminded that were are not in the 70's anymore.Apart from this everything going well, great running car, starts on the button, 550 miles from a tank and plenty of lift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

by "plenty of lift" do you mean it's quick?

I'm presuming this is the non turbo 1.9 engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭thetaxman

Non turbo, on the 02 plate. Now I am no boy racer, but the car certaintly pulls when required.

That must be a van being a 02? always found them underpowered, they can be driven fast, just takes planning!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That must be a van being a 02? always found them underpowered, they can be driven fast, just takes planning!

Yeah its a two door van, in white. What does the power matter when your on the M50?
    Hopefully plenty more miles left in her.

should be, very little to go wrong on them, they're a neat looking van too. If I remember correctly all the late 306's got nice bumpers etc.

• Advertisement

You know your cars. Yeah, mine has both skirts and both front and back bumpers along with front fogs. Nice seats as well. Very nice van, even if they have been around for a while.

Some cars don't age as quickly as others. Pug got the 306 right from the start and didn't need heavy facelifts to keep it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wasn't that diesel engine also available in the Corolla circa 1999?

00-02, the facelift of the 97 model, before the Corolla got the D-4D engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

thetaxman wrote: »
    Just put the 306 through the NCT. NO problems, excellent. She has 106,000 on the clock so far with only regular services. Only slight problem involved a busted rear left wheel cylinder. This cost €500 to right, as both cylinders had to be replaced to restore balance and the pads were destroyed due to brake fluid leakage. When I suggested power washing the pads and cleaning with wire brush to help reduce the costs, I was reminded that were are not in the 70's anymore.Apart from this everything going well, great running car, starts on the button, 550 miles from a tank and plenty of lift.

OK this is probably the worst iv heard or did you mistype it ! 500€:eek: for rear cylinders??? Where did you get it done, guess it was a main st(d)ealer:rolleyes:!!!
    I had to do the same Job on my 306 last time it went into the NCT - they seem to only last ~30K. i remember paying 90€ for two cylinders and about 25 euro for the shoes (i presume you have drums.). did they replace the drums as well?? its a max 1 hr job for any garage. 500€ for this sounds wayyyyy too high.
    mine had 140K on it when i sold it and iv seen it around a few times since them diesels will do 200K + with regular oil changes. The French do make good diesel engines. its just a pity they dont put the effort into the rest of the car...

• Advertisement

JoeySully wrote: »
    OK this is probably the worst iv heard or did you mistype it ! 500€:eek: for rear cylinders??? Where did you get it done, guess it was a main st(d)ealer:rolleyes:!!!
    I had to do the same Job on my 306 last time it went into the NCT - they seem to only last ~30K. i remember paying 90€ for two cylinders and about 25 euro for the shoes (i presume you have drums.). did they replace the drums as well?? its a max 1 hr job for any garage. 500€ for this sounds wayyyyy too high.
    mine had 140K on it when i sold it and iv seen it around a few times since them diesels will do 200K + with regular oil changes. The French do make good diesel engines. its just a pity they dont put the effort into the rest of the car...

Sorry, that price also included a full service and new spark plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

JoeySully wrote: »
    The French do make good diesel engines. its just a pity they dont put the effort into the rest of the car...

They do... look at the 106GTi and the 306 GTi-6...
    The 3dr 306 HDi with the 2litre diesel has the same bumper and skirts and suspension as the GTi-6... excellent hatch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Sorry, that price also included a full service and new spark plugs.

Spark plugs? compression ignition engine?

The heater plug. I'm not a mechanic, I just love the 306's.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Are you selling it?! :D;)

No way. The 306D Turbo has become somewhat of a cult car in Northern Ireland for young fellas.East to see why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The heater plug. I'm not a mechanic, I just love the 306's.
    Don't you mean glow plugs;)?

Thats the one. 3rd time lucky.

Advertisement