Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 SIMs on same phone number / account?

• 28-01-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

like it says want to have 2 phones using the same number & service provider. Can it be done (with O2).

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

It can be done. Here's an example of a sim free, dual sim phone. Don't know if it would be available a bit cheaper on a package from O2. Would doubt it.

http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=161021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Seamu$ wrote: »
    It can be done. Here's an example of a sim free, dual sim phone. Don't know if it would be available a bit cheaper on a package from O2. Would doubt it.

http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=161021

that's not what he's looking for. you've given him a phone that can have two numbers. he wants two phones with the same number. i don't think it can be done tbh and the operators definitely don't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

It can be done. We have a vodafone bill pay sim in two phones and it works no problem.

We simply rang vodafone and asked for a replacement sim card, to chance it and it didn't de-activate the old one so both phones work on the same tel:number and share the same package.

No good for personal use, but for business its very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

now that is bizarre. Having done hundreds of replacement sims i can tell you that the old sim always deactivated in seconds. I have no idea why yours would be any different or how its even possible.

Your identity on the network is authenticated using encrypted info built into the sim. Any service i've heard about that gives two sims with the same number has had to physically read the sim and clone the encrypted data on the new sim. A replacement sim would have a completely different user id and so shouldn't be authenticated. Must be some kind of glitch in the network

when you asked for a replacement sim did you say you wanted both active or did you just say you lost it or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BlackITR

iBoards wrote: »
    It can be done. We have a vodafone bill pay sim in two phones and it works no problem.

We simply rang vodafone and asked for a replacement sim card, to chance it and it didn't de-activate the old one so both phones work on the same tel:number and share the same package.

Every sim has a designated serial number, I'd like to see it working because there is no way Vodafone would let that happen! You could clone you sim which makes an identical copy, the sims cannot be used at the same time so pretty useless anyway unless you're tapping into someone elses number(extremely unlikely). What you're describing is impossible..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Like the others I don't believe this. I want to believe this, but everything I've ever experienced has told me that Irish networks do not provide this feature whether it be officially or not.

The only time I've seen something similiar happening is when someone ports and one SIM takes calls and the other receives for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I have the same request as the original poster. I have a SIM card for work for my Blackberry at work. The only problem is that I hate it, and love my Sony Ericsson W960i. Is there any way to clone my SIM card so that I can have one in my W960i and one in my Blackberry.

I've seen a kit on ebay that will clone a sim card, or combine up to 12 sim cards into 1 card.

If I clone my sim and have two of them in use at the same time, will Vodafone know/care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭slegs

This has to be supported by the operator and I know for a fact that no operator in Ireland supports it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This might work?
    Clone your 16 sims in this Super Sim Card. When two or more SIM cards with same number (original and cloned) are in used:
    * Both phones can dial out but NOT in the same time
    * Only the latest dialed out or powered on phone can receives calls, the other
    phone will not ring
    * If one phone is officially turned off (e.g. by switch off the power button), the
    other phone can't receives calls even though it's still power on, the other phone
    must make a call in order to make it can receives calls again.

* If you use the same phone number in two mobile phone at the same time, your service application
    supplier will detect that and suppose your sim had been stolen and will block your number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I know that one network trialled this some time back but it caused problems with the two SIMs active on one number, calls were missed the HLR was not being updated correctly.
    I know of one live example of this, a car breaker's yard near EMC in Ovens, crk has had a dual SIM for one number active. I'm noy sure how he managed it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Random1

not possible, end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

As you'd expect, the majority of the time my O2 3G sim stays in its USB modem and I use it for my O2 broadband.

Recently in the evenings if I'm expecting some important emails, I have put it in my Nokia E50 so I can use the blackberry connect function to deliver my emails to the phone.

I'm guessing it's highly unlikely, but would O2 give me a duplicate sim that I can leave in the phone?

It'd be handy to have on me when I'm commuting and what have you, and would save switching it across all the time.

And if I put the usual sim I use for calls into it (which I don't want to do as I prefer my Nokia 6230i for calls and texts) I'd incur a higher bill for it connecting regularly.

Especially annoying is that when I put the sim back into the USB modem, it takes several attempts for it to establish a broadband connection. Anyone know why this happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

a duplicate as in the same number on a different sim? you cant have 2 sims with the same phone number on it

krudler wrote: »
    a duplicate as in the same number on a different sim? you cant have 2 sims with the same phone number on it

yeah, I want the sims to have the same phone number. either that or I need another sim card on my account with a very cheap data only tariff only, perhaps 250mb - 1gb maximum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

iBoards wrote: »

but they dont deactivate the old sim manually the system does it itself, its impossible to have 2 sims with the same number,if it worked for you you'd be the first person on a mobile network to ever have this happen for, not calling you a liar but....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Random1 wrote: »
    not possible, end of story.

I can't provide proof but i've seen two phones, with a sim each, and each having the same phone number.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

There seems to be alot of misinformation on this.

When I was in o2 I asked and was told no, not possible, but you would occasionally get people in who insisted their friend or friends friends friend had two sims with the one number.

I've never seen any proof at all though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Just to answer this question once and for all.
    Yes it is possible for your operator to do this.
    I know of a few people who have 2 handsets, (a blackberry and a nokia), with 2 sim cards, one in each.
    Both sims have the same number active.
    Only one can be turned on at one time, as there is a priority on the blackberry sim card.

So yes it can be done, but perhaps not meeting the exact needs that you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is the solution in the link I provided above not the answer??

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Only one can be turned on at one time, as there is a priority on the blackberry sim card.

hhhmmm no good to me then. Will have to see if I can get a data only sim number on a cheap tariff added to my account.

• Advertisement

Just to answer this question once and for all.
    Yes it is possible for your operator to do this.
    I know of a few people who have 2 handsets, (a blackberry and a nokia), with 2 sim cards, one in each.
    Both sims have the same number active.

Are you sure this isn't just a case of using phone diverts and stuff ?

Mind me asking what company this is with ?

it seems I can get a data only sim with just the 250mb add-on for €7.50 a month, according to customer services. Just waiting to confirm that I can get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

nope - definately not a divert - same number - 2 sims
    it was done in holland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭slegs

it was done in holland

Technically its possible of course but it needs network support and serious config changes in the operator. No operator in Ireland supports it hence the comments above. I have heard that it is an available service in some European operators.

it was done in holland
    Ah right. That explains it. I was referring to Ireland as I'm sure others who argued it were too.

Glad that's cleared up. Thanks

Advertisement