Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weedkiller for Paving

Options
  • 29-01-2008 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a weedkiller for my paved driveway. Every year i get moss, grass and general weeds growing between the cracks and its a pain to clear.
    I have done a search and have seen pathclear and roundup suggested,
    The problem is that it is a very big area (Full front driveway and all around a 5 bed bungalow) and these products will cost me a fortune to cover the whole area. I have used them before but usually end up scraping the weeds out and then powerhosing. This can end up taking a week to complete and usually has to be done twice a year. I have seen other products that come in bigger drums and seem to be cheaper.
    Also when is the best time to spay weedkiller. I notice there is already a lot of moss forming between the cracks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭bigeasy

I only have a small amount of weeds starting.So I sprayed some roundup last around the edges of my cobblelocked driveway last night. Now where I sprayed the cobbles are white. Did not get time to investigate but I presume this will just was wash off. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Round up's active ingredient is "Glyphospate". You should be able to buy this in a larger quantity from any agricultural supplier such as Glanbia. A 25 litre drum shouldent cost much more than 50 euro and will cover the area. Litre should cover an acre for domestic purposes so take the time to read the instructions and make sure the mix ratio is right (about 0.5l to 10l). A stronger solution/ratio is not nessesarly better and could lead to discolouring on stone.
    Good luck with this, sounds like a pain in the ass that driveway.:(
    The best time to spray is when the weeds in question is growing, so any time in the spring/early summer is best. Make sure you have a 6 hour dry window after the application. Glyphospate wont kill moss very effectivly, that may need a seperate treatment..... i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭blackbox

25 litres of Roundup from Glanbia would clear the whole county. The stuff they sell (Roundup Biactive) is a concentrate and ONE litre will probably do you for years - will cost around 50-60 euro. Use as per instructions on pack - you will need a knapsack sprayer for a large area - watering can not suitable. It takes a few weeks before weeds die - it is especially effective at killing grass, so don't let it blow onto your neighbour's lawn.

Weedol is more quick acting but doesn't kill deep rooted weeds - it is also quite poisonous until contact with soil.

Neither will kill moss. Ferrous sulphate (sulphate of iron) will do this, but test a small area as it is liable to cause stains.

Advertisement