Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gym fee included in fees

Options
  • 29-01-2008 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Is it true that their thinking of increasing fees and adding in membership to S.V fitness. What do u think is it a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I was thinking about joining that gym... Is it any good? Worth joining? I'm only PT so i'd only use it twice a week...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Didn't hear that at all,but really wouldn't surprise me.

Was thinking of joining too, but it is quite expensive and there is no swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

i joined it its alright, pretty basic, no pool or anything but its always empty or maybe 2 or 3 people if its free for everyone in the college it would be packed all the time and its a small gym. You can vote on thursday i think for it. Heres the email:
    Do you want to increase your capitation fee by €80 to gain unlimited access to
    SV Fitness?

Find Out More

Information class visits will take place on 28th 29th & 30th January

Debate
    Increase in capitation?

FOR or AGAINST

Theatre One,
    Thursday 31st January
    @ 1pm

Find out more about the increase in capitation fees

Have your Say........

Increase in capitation fees will affect ALL FULL-TIME STUDENTS

Referendum to take place 4th 5th & 6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Seriously, It's a fairly crap Gym TBH. But it's very handy / cheap for the students I suppose. I'd say there's something bad going down with that Gym when the NCI is considering offering inclusive membership. It would be in their interests considering they are de facto landlords.

yh there is never many in it. But its cheap enough its like 300 or something for students in nci. The staff are real nice too and pretty helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CallMeMiss

This motion was passed and from next Sept EVERYONE will have to pay €80 extra and that will give u free membership to the gym for the year!!

Good deal ... and its on;y for a years trial, after that it will be reviewed!

yh i didnt hear yet, will part time students also have access. Its a pretty small gym so it will be pretty packed all the time next year so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Zachary

Will that €80 be tax deductable?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

rory1983 - I somehow doubt it,the reduced rate for membership for part time students sucked compared to that of full time students.

Zachary - Depends,how the charge it.
    I presume it will become part of the registration fee which to the best of my knowledge isn't tax deductible like course fees are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CallMeMiss

No - Part Time Students will not be included in this new initiative.

Yes - It will be included as part of the registration fee.

Also, Im not sure if it is tax deductible ... however I know for students recieving grants that this increased fee will be taken into account.

If anyone wants to know more about this, feel free to pop into the Students Union and ask one of the officers!

" It's finally all over.!!
    The votes are counted and 68% of NCI's full-time students polled have voted IN FAVOUR of the proposal. This will mean that from September '08, €80 will be added to the registration fees of all full time students, resulting in students being able to access SV Fitness gym. The Students' Union will now advise the college of the results of the poll, and the details will be worked out over the course of the summer. "

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4507741682

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

God I'm glad I'm finished this year. I've never been in a worse gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 benhughes

:confused: What is the situation with students joining SV fitness in the IFSC?

I heard some information about an all inclusive €80 fee through capitations fees at NCI.

I would really appreciate an overview on this issue as i have been out of the loop for some months ?

there was a vote for full time students a few weeks back we voted for gym fees (80 euro) been included in the registration fees. So next year when you register for college it will cost you 80 euros more but you will have full access to the gym. Its on a 1 year trial basis so not sure if its permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 benhughes

Does that mean that for €80 i get full usage of the SV gym at all times or are there restrictions etc.

Does it run for one year as you mentioned from September 2008 ?

is this correct ?

Is there a contact with NCI that can give me a full overview ?

Many thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭erinn

ben-if u are a student of NCI or will b startin this cumin sept den it is included in ur college fee (which wil increase by €80)

if u are not a NCI student then you go to the gym 4details and it is nothin to do with the college as it isnt owned but the college just happens to be suituated beside it!

If you just go in to the gym and ask they are pretty helpful and can give you a tour too.

It is 399 for non day students last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

I dont think this is going to work out. Especially in the first few weeks when everyone will be going. The gym isnt nearly big enough for everyone that is going to be using it. The weight area of the gym is fairly small. Its going to end up like the Trinity gym where you cant spend more than 10mins on any of the machines before they come over and ask you change. If this is the case its not going to benefit anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭erinn

duckmusic wrote: »
    I dont think this is going to work out. Especially in the first few weeks when everyone will be going. The gym isnt nearly big enough for everyone that is going to be using it. The weight area of the gym is fairly small. Its going to end up like the Trinity gym where you cant spend more than 10mins on any of the machines before they come over and ask you change. If this is the case its not going to benefit anybody.

i totaly agree, and by mid october everyone will be back sitting on their asses in the su eating away as though they dont even know theres a gym rite beside them (literaly) that they have membership to.

Ok if it was a biger gym it would make sense but my class wouldnt even fit in their together never mind the whole student population plus the people who use it already!

the people on a sportss scolarship to the college get free gym membership, so what are they going to do this year instead since their getting it anyway???

Advertisement