Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice On Buying A Bird???

Options
  • 29-01-2008 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all. Looking for some advice from anyone who can help.
    I'm considering buying an African Grey parrot. I've seen one or two around and I think they're just great. I've enquired about them and the only price i've gotten so far is about €1500 all in. I know these birds are hand reared and thats why the price is high. I'm just wondering does any1 know of a breeder or a couple of places I might be able to enquire about getting 1? If it's just the bird I don't mind too much b/c it makes it a bit handier for me in that i've more selection for a cage and that. I've also been quoted €1000 all in for a 3 mth old h/reared Eclectic. Any advice at all would help immensley. I also have a 15mth old son and I know the way he was with our dog he'll be kept on a short leash if I do get one soon. I'm sure if they wanted their feathers removed they would'nt want his help. Should I have to take his young age into consideration when getting a bird?
    Again many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

My only advice on birds would be to not get one, it makes me feel sick seeing flying animals locked in a cage :(

Maybe you should consider something more child freindly like a rabbit, a dog, guinea pigs or a ferret or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Parrots can give an awful nip, my cockatiel has drawn my blood before, a big parrot like those could take the hand off a child. Maybe not out of being vivious, but birds mouth things sometimes and their beaks are so sharp. My budgie gnaws on my finger and plays with my hair.

Advertisement