Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fondue fuel paste

• 29-01-2008 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Got a fondue set from lidl last week but I can't find fuel paste for it nor do I know what type of alcohol to use the in the burner provided. Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I start mine on the hog, then pop it onthe stand with some tealights underneath - works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The stuff you want is made by a Swiss (surprise!) company called Firestar. I still have a supply left over from when I lived in Holland, so I've not had to find any here.

If you Google "Firestar Fondue" you get a number of hits from the UK, including Amazon ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Firestar-Fondue-Gel-80g-each/dp/B000ZB2DE0

olaola wrote: »
    I start mine on the hog, then pop it on the stand with some tealights underneath - works fine.
    I start mine on the hob (not hog!) too .. is there any other way? Tealights don't really provide enough heat in my experience, and these gel burners are a lot safer than messing a round with inflammable liquids, which is why they were developed in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I could be wrong, but I though you'd use methylated spirits which you can get in the chemist?

If you have to use a gel, though, I bet you'd get it in a camping shop.

I could be wrong, but I though you'd use methylated spirits which you can get in the chemist?
    You can, but the gel is safer and easier to use that's all. It doesn't smell like meths either.
    If you have to use a gel, though, I bet you'd get it in a camping shop.
    I got mine (in another country admittedly) in the same kitchen shop where I bought my fondue set. You could maybe try Kitchen Complements on Chatham St. or Arnotts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try Arnotts for the paste or maybe meths. I would start it on the hob anyway - the burner is really just to keep it warm. I thought tealights might have been too hot for it (esp for a cheese fondue) but it's worth a try as well.

Macros42 wrote: »
    I thought tealights might have been too hot for it (esp for a cheese fondue) but it's worth a try as well.
    The opposite, I'd have thought .. fine for keeping a pot of tea warm, but you need to keep a cheese fondue reasonably hot else it cools down and solidifies. And I'd imagine they'd be absolutely no good at all for a bouillon or oil based fondue.

Just had a thought, Stock might be worth a try too, or Meadows and Byrne in Dun Laoghaire.

Alun wrote: »
    I start mine on the hob (not hog!) too .. is there any other way? Tealights don't really provide enough heat in my experience, and these gel burners are a lot safer than messing a round with inflammable liquids, which is why they were developed in the first place.

Excuse the spelling!!

Anyhoo! - I found that three tealights under my pot burnt the bottom, so I just used two and it bubbled away nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Stock (mentioned above) on Chatham st. have the small foil gel fuel pots (though I will try the tealights on reading the above as it gets expensive to keep replacing the gel fuel).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

fondue_gel_fuel.jpg
    Is it these you are looking for? €4.95 for a pack of 3 from www.kitchendresser.ie

• Advertisement

Those are the ones. Looks like an interesting site, thanks for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hi mollieassy,

Are you affiliated to kitchendresser.ie?

Yes..
    Sorry I dont mean to be plugging it but there is a lot of hard-to-find items available there that may be of interest to like-minded foodies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Just be careful then.

Though it's great that it may be a good resource, there are rules on advertising at boards.ie
    If you wish to contribute to boards that's fine, just don't keep popping up with 'try xyz.ie' or you'll find the posts will be deleted.

Thanks

duly noted! but there are other stores mentioned in this thread as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

mollie: €8 delivery per order would make it a little more expensive and I'm never out Dun Laoghaire way.

Alun & muckety: Excellent - I work not far from Grafton Street - I'll pop up to Stock tomorrow and get some. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

http://www.nisbets.ie/products/AdvancedSearch.asp?keyword=chafing

Nisbets have now got an Irish website - not sure how long this has been running, but the UK site is excellent - and very competitive.

Chafing fuel should do the trick, but I would check that the fuel pots will fit under your fondue set before buying.

Just remembered I saw this in Avoca in Rathcoole if you're still looking for it?
    I think it was a pack of 3 or 4 for under a fiver...

Advertisement