Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falling block action rifles

Options
  • 29-01-2008 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Can't remember if I posted about this on here before, I had an interest in this subject a while back.

Has anyone used this type of rifle? Could you please recount your expierences, calibre doesn't matter so much. Accuracy versus bolt action comparisons welcome. Just idly pondering them at the moment. Most likely to be a single shot if I were to invest. Any licencising issues? I doubt it but still, law and common sense...

Many thanks,

John :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

We have a couple of BSA target rifles with falling block action. They are very accurate, but aren't very popular in the club because the rest of the machine doesn't compare very well with modern target rifles.

Stock is very limited in adjustment and the sights are fairly coarse in adjustment.

On the plus side, they can be used right handed or left because of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

I suspect RRPC's BSA's will be Martini actioned and therefore strictly speaking pivoting rather than falling block. The block is pivoted at the back and only the front drops, not the entire block like in a Ruger No.1 or Winchester 1885.

In any case either type can form the basis of a very accurate rifle and there are plenty of examples, including the BSA target rifles. Correspondingly those that are light and cheaply/badly made will probably not be accurate.

The main issues inherent in these rifles which might adversely affect accuracy are:

1. Because of the action design they are typically made with two-piece stocks. These can be problematical as regards bedding, especially in those like the Ruger which have operating parts in the forend and are chambered for "hot" cartridges

2. Most (but not the Martini, incidentally) are hammer fired and may tend towards slower lock times.

I suppose all other things being equal it is more straightforward to build an accuracy rifle on a bolt action, which I guess is why you don't see falling block actions on state-of-the-art target rifles any more. They are not of this century, but are often fine rifles and indicative of good taste on the part of their owners/users.

Incidentally, a lot of the BSA's had quarter-minute sights - perfectly adequate in my opinion. I think 12 clicks per minute or whatever is on the latest Anschutz sights is grossly over-rated.

Quite right Sandy, the BSA are Martini action. I thought that the two were similar enough not to confuse the issue.

The action on the BSA is very smooth even after all these years.

The quarter minute click was a bit of a niusance at 25 yards. You could never get the shot to hit the centre. I think one of the rifles had a thou or two nicked off the mounting groove to fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

John,
    I use a Browning Low Wall as my deer stalking rifle and have absolutely no complaints. Accurate, compact, straight forward design with a very good factory trigger.

2231427304_5958c41ea7_b.jpg

2230628041_5361faa588_o.jpg

The single-shot rifle has a long and varied history, since it is descended directly from the early, one-shot muzzleloaders that were used when men hunted dangerous game with blackpowder and frequently became the hunted themselves. In those days, the only way to get sufficient wallop to deal with a grizzly, cape buffalo or pachyderm was to make the bore as large as possible, cram it full of powder, and then stuff in a lead ball that weighed as much as a third of a pound. In other words it has a proven history. :)

The falling-block action is a single shot rifle. It was/is a popular foundation for a number of single shot rifles. Browning and Winchester High Walls, the Stevens, the Ballard, the long-range Creedmoor match rifle, and the big-bore Scottish Farquharson action for dangerous game safari rifles. Almost all were falling-block rifles. The falling block is as strong as a bolt action, and as accurate but is not as fast to reload.
    The breechblock is operated by a pivoting underlever. When the lever is swung forward, the block falls downwards to reveal the chamber.
    Some versions - Ruger & Browning - utilize a lever that both operates the block and cocks the hammer.
    The Ruger No. 1 is a modern version of the Scottish Farquharson, with a falling block and underlever, but it is more streamlined , with none of the humps and bumps found on the original.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/falling_block_action.htm

Shiloh Sharps Model 1874 Hartford in .50-90 Sharps:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Shiloh_Sharps_1874_Hartford_50_90_Rifle.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-shot

A Winchester 1885 in 30-06:
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/images/534133l.jpg

The reason the target/benchrest/varmiters etc use bolt action rifles is that it does not have to moved from the 'rest' position to get off the next shot.
    With a falling block's lever located below the rifle it does not lend itself to opening the breech for reloading without substantially moving the rifle, which requires it to be almost completely rerested back into position for the next shot. When firing groups of 3, 5,or 10 , it is inconvenient if one is into rapid-fire shooting. JMHO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hi guys,

Thanks for going to the trouble on those replies, all good stuff :D

I'm just trying to work out myself how I can justify another rifle cos to be honest I'm beginning to get a thing for that type of action :o (I know, I'm off to see a shrink about it soon but I think (hope) I'm a lost cause lol).

What cal is your Browning DB? That Winchester rifle is stunning. Mates here do be taking off Borat saying Ahhhhh Likkkeeeee! and I gotta say AHHHH LIKKKKKEEEE!!!!! :D

The world is indeed a cruel place, it only comes in 30-06 Springfield.

The Martini action is probably better suited for benchrest, so long as you have enough clearance below the action lever. But as the lever only moves forward and back rather than the underlever shown above, once you have a little clearance above the bench, the action is not going to touch it.

It's certainly very smooth and easy to operate.

Here's a photo from another site

bsa-intl.jpg

I'd be using one solely for hunting in whatever calibre I'd go for :) Not to stop the discussion naturally, just say my own interest :)

Morning John,
    What caliber are you interested in shooting?
    My Browning is chambered for .243. but they were also chambered for .22 Hornet, .223, and .260 Remington. Plus many, many more in the old guns. The ' high wall ' version is for more powerful cartridges.
    BTW, Browning and Winchester are owned by the same holding company.

Check your PM's

• Advertisement

I'm going to mull it over a while longer DB. I've already got a .22lr and a .223REM which does me for vermin and foxes respectively. But, I can't get that type of rifle out of my head. I would think something like .243 or 6.5 so I'd have something that'd do both fox and deer. I need to do more thinking about it as I'd say it'd be a case of getting rid of one of my existing rifles in order to be in a better position to buy a new one.

Thanks again for the PM, you're a mine of useful information DB :D

John,

Be sure to let us know how you get on. We thrive on this ' "the acquisition of a new firearm" ' . The .243 , 260 remington or 6.5 are versatile cartridge's (target,vermin,deer) especially when reloading becomes a permanent part of our vocabulary.

Good Luck

Advertisement