Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet right ripoff

Options
  • 29-01-2008 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I ordered carpet for stairs and landing in caarpet right and they ripped me off.
    When i asked the quote in the first place without carpet, they told me it comes around 310 (all charges and materials) and i selected the cheapest carpet and got discount on it and the guy realized he quoted less before hand excluding carpet. So he added an extra charge for delivery and extra work charge of 90 euro at the end as this job got extra work.charges are given below.
    carpet 90 euro( discount offer), under lay 90 euro, gripper 70 euro, beading 80 euro, fitting 80 euro and delivery, extra manual work charges of 90 euro. I paid it and relaized after i went home that i got ripped off. I got the measurement, they didn't even coe to my house to getthe measurement.

So i went to the shop next day asked to refund as they charged too much for fitting and delivery (170 euro), but they can only give store credit. But i am not going to use 500 euro again spending on carpet. I feel this is not fair and misleading way of selling and advertising , thus getting the money from consmer in various ways.

But i went to different carpet right store and selected expensive carpet, got quote and they did not charge the extra delivery charge of 90 euro.But he charged this money in other materials indirectly. The quote was similar at the end excluding carpet.

The question is how come the carpet right have different way of charging consumers.They manipulate the way they charge and get it from hthe consumers

now i am the situation of no where, i need you advice to proceed further.I spent lot of time on this driving around to figure out what to do.
    One more thing , the grippers and beading cost me 70 euro in B&Q , but they charged me 130 euro. Is that possible to get refund of those and buy myself and leave the rest to them. Can i win if i go to small claims court.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

paddy75 wrote: »
    carpet 90 euro( discount offer), under lay 90 euro, gripper 70 euro, beading 80 euro, fitting 80 euro and delivery, extra manual work charges of 90 euro. I paid it and relaized after i went home that i got ripped off. I got the measurement, they didn't even coe to my house to getthe measurement.

So i went to the shop next day asked to refund as they charged too much for fitting and delivery (170 euro), but they can only give store credit.

They don't come to your house just to take measurements. They will do the fitting and delivery in one day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

paddy75 wrote: »
    The question is how come the carpet right have different way of charging consumers.They manipulate the way they charge and get it from hthe consumers
    Uhm, why does there exist different loans charges? Why does different mobile companies charge different for SMS? Why does the same car cost differently in different stores? Because they don't have to charge the same way for a product, that is why.
    One more thing , the grippers and beading cost me 70 euro in B&Q , but they charged me 130 euro. Is that possible to get refund of those and buy myself and leave the rest to them. Can i win if i go to small claims court.
    What is there to win in small claims court when you don't have a claim to sue over? You accepted their offer, they are delivering on their offer, hence they are fullfilling their part of the contract. Only because you are now unhappy with the price which you originally accepted don't give you a magical right to sue them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

How can they charge "delivery" if they are going to bring the Carpet anyway to fit it.
    If i did this in my business I would go bust very quickly, "Ohh by the way customer that will be €40 extra for the installer to put it in his van to bring it to your house for him to install it" yeah right!!

had an issue with Carpet Right
    price of carpet OK
    Price of fitting OK
    Price for this that and the other WTF:eek:

Went to a local shop How much for the carpet €12.99 sq meter OK
    how much for carpet fitted €13.50 sq meter OK
    and extras No wil even throw in the grippers and beading for the price
    Great service great fitting no compaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It's the way alot of these business' make their money - offer the base product for a cheap price and charge extortionate amounts for the extras.

Sadly, the OP has no comeback in this case, he accepted their offer by paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paddy75

I agree that i accepted the offer, but i found the grippers and beading cost only 50 euro , but they charged me 140 euro which is not acceptable. If i prove that they are suppose to refund the 140 euro and probably i will go rest with them.
    I went to carpet right store on different location and got a quote without the delivery charge, but i selected expensive carpet. Why do they have discrepancies.
    I believe that i have consumer rights to ask why they charged me for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

yeah but the time to ask is before handing over the money. you have right to dispute the charge afterwards. offering you store credit was reasonable of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Caveat emptor.

Shop elsewhere in future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

snyper wrote: »
    Caveat emptor.
    Shop elsewhere in future.

you dont really have any recourse here as far as I can see. it is exactly the reason why the different associations say shop around.

a business is entitled to charge whatever it wants to for services & products regardless of how much it costs them to buy the product and by paying your money you in effect agreed to those charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Has anyone ever had someone who is happy with Carpet S^%te?

No.

Check boards archives, askaboutmoney & any other forums and you'll find the same theme running through all posts - ripped off!

Go to a local carpet store and you will get better carpets at a better price fitted by & sold by experts.

In Dublin I can very much reccomend Allied carpets in Robinhood Ind Est & Myles Quirke in Stillorgan and in Kildare I have found Flinters Carpets in Athy to be one of the best in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

unless i am mistaken, the fitters are not employed by carpet right but are merely sub-contracted to deliver & fit. That is what you are paying for and from what I am led to believe, you do not pay carpet right for fitting but rather the fitters when they deliver/fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 bossman07

Have it on very good authourity that Carpetright will be closing all stores in Ireland . you heard it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - Closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement