Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspected spiked drink

• 29-01-2008 4:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

(MOD's please move if this is the wrong forum!!)

Hi all

I was out on Saturday night and i think my drink was spiked I blacked out, puked my guts up on saturday night, all day sunday i was puking up water (every drink I took of water I just puked it up), and was sleeping all day. Monday i barely got out of bed and i could function just about... but i still feel nautious, today I still feel really nautious and sick... I haven't got sick since Saturday. But do you think I should go to a doctor just in case?

I did have a good bit to drink, but definitely definitely not enough to black out.... any advice or opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd say the most likely thing is that you had way too much to drink and got shít-faced. I remember seeing somewhere that very few people that go to the rape crisis centre and say they drink was spiked showed any signs of having ghb in their system. So changes are very slim that you're drink was spiked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I'm sorry you were unwell. Your drink coud very well have been spiked. However you do seem to have had classic symptoms of alcohol poisoning, having said yourself "you'd a fair bit to drink", I would be hesitant in declaring your drink had been spiked. However having had in recent months a few friends(non-drinkers) whose drinks were indeed spiked their symptoms were not unlike yours. Vomiting and blackouts etc, they however after hospitlisation were right as rain after a few hours and send home. They couldn't test for drugs in the system because of the time frame and th fact it was probably not even worth it. The fact that you are still suffering means you definitely should consult a doctor (this not being a medical forum). It could be a case of simply overdoing it at the weekend, lets face it most people do. Check it out. Hopefully you'll be better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

Thanks guys.

I just want to feel better. I just ate (its 1.15pm here - I'm in Tokyo) and I feel really faint.... I haven't eaten all that much since Saturday night, but I doubt thats what is wrong with me. I'm drinking loads of water too ... but nothing is working :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

You couldn't be 100% without testing but it sounds like alcohol poisoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

You were out drinking in a strange place with different food, time difference etc and feeling crap the next couple of days? Come on, do you really think your drink was spiked?? I hope you feel better soon but you drink wasn't spiked imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

promethius wrote: »
    You were out drinking in a strange place with different food, time difference etc and feeling crap the next couple of days? Come on, do you really think your drink was spiked?? I hope you feel better soon but you drink wasn't spiked imo.

Perhaps he/she's lived there for ages, you can't deduce the above from the available facts.

Anyway, go see a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Perhaps he/she's lived there for ages, you can't deduce the above from the available facts.

Let's see what the OP has to say on that.
    The "good bit to drink" is more pertinent anyways. Seeing a doctor is never a bad idea regardless of how the OP gets to where she/he is at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

bad bowl of noodles perchance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

Hey PinkCheck. Just wondering what you were drinking as I am in Tokyo aswell and there are some drinks here that really blow my head off that I dont think would even be legal in Ireland (eg Tarantula, Long Island Iced Tea).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Off-topic:
    A lot people do things they regret on nights out and then claim they were spiked.
    It's about passing on blame.
    A girl will never tell her parents that she got realy drunk and they went home with some loser.
    But if she tells her family and her friends she was spiked, she immediately gets sympathy. What a cop-out!

I'm not saying that is you OP. I just see similar threads in Personal Issues all the time.
    "I drank 10 shots, ended up going up home with someone and I can't figure out why. It wasn't the alcohol I shoved down my throat, I bet someone spiked me as I'm entirely blamless"

You are correct, you were posioned and the poison was alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Am I correct in saying that there has never been a confirmed case of drink spiking in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

(MOD's please move if this is the wrong forum!!)

Hi all

I was out on Saturday night and i think my drink was spiked I blacked out, puked my guts up on saturday night, all day sunday i was puking up water (every drink I took of water I just puked it up), and was sleeping all day. Monday i barely got out of bed and i could function just about... but i still feel nautious, today I still feel really nautious and sick... I haven't got sick since Saturday. But do you think I should go to a doctor just in case?

I did have a good bit to drink, but definitely definitely not enough to black out.... any advice or opinions?

Congratulations, you drank too much and probably made a tit of yourself, i highly doubt you were spiked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Am I correct in saying that there has never been a confirmed case of drink spiking in Ireland?

Not sure about a confirmed case as there probably has been a few genuine cases. Tests run by docters or the Rape Crises Centre would have the results.
    But nobody has ever been taken to court and been convicted of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Wow no sympathy from you lot then!
    Tbh I don't know if you were spiked or not Op, but the amount of cynics in here is unreal.
    I won't bore you with the stories ("I heard about" or "someone I know...") but you can't be too critical about this scenario - when (if?) it happens for real, people will just think it's their fault and that maybe they drank too much. Whatever about getting convictions about drink spiking, that will stop them going to get help in case they were taken advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Are you sure you didn't accidentally swallow some Chinese toys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

micmclo wrote: »
    Not sure about a confirmed case as there probably has been a few genuine cases. Tests run by docters or the Rape Crises Centre would have the results.
    But nobody has ever been taken to court and been convicted of it.

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure I remember a programme - Prime Time probably - where a doctor stated that there has never been a case where drugs were found in a "spikee's" samples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

The only time I thought my drink was spikes was when after about 4-5 pints in
    a pub I went home and when I got to bed first my feet went freezing, then the
    cold slowly move up through my legs and all the way up to my head.

Got to the jacks just in time and had a long conversation with Huey on the
    porcelain telephone. By ther time I was finished I was weak as a kitten.

Funnily enough, the next time I visited that same establishment the exact
    same thing happened.

Decided not to darken its doorstep again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure I remember a programme - Prime Time probably - where a doctor stated that there has never been a case where drugs were found in a "spikee's" samples.

I remember that too and also either Horizon/Panorama did one on the UK.There were a couple of suspect cases but no solid proof, most were from too much booze.What you have eaten,the amount of sleep,medications,mood etc will all have various effects on how your body handles drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

might just have been a bad pint - symptoms are pretty much the same as you've described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

How do people get alcohol poisoning? Does it depend on the hygeine standards of where you drink?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

[QUOTE=Pinkchick03;54992002I did have a good bit to drink,[/QUOTE]

How much is a good bit?

Try and get your hands on some Milk Thistle in tablet form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

This is truth every case of suspected drink spiking the hospitals have dealt with to the best of my knowledge were all proven to be alcohol related so unless someone is going around nighclubs with a bottle of vodka and topping up peoples drinks I dont think we have had any spikings

yaynay wrote: »
    How do people get alcohol poisoning? Does it depend on the hygeine standards of where you drink?
    excessive drinking or drinking it too fast for your system the hygiene has nothing to do with it especially when drinking neat vodka as it would sterilise the drinking vessel

Rob_l wrote: »
    excessive drinking or drinking it too fast for your system the hygiene has nothing to do with it especially when drinking neat vodka as it would sterilise the drinking vessel

Thanks... learning done for today, might aswell go asleep now.

yaynay wrote: »
    Thanks... learning done for today, might aswell go asleep now.

no no no put this theory o mine into practise get a filthy dirty pint glass fill with vodka drink it and see if you get sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BillyoftheBeast

You're drink wasn't spiked. You either drank too much or have some virus. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

A friend of mine had his drink spiked (for definite, we were in Tijuana in Mexico and he felt the pill against his teeth as it went down, they were trying to spike his gfs drink). He wasn't pukey or sick for days he was just out of it in a way you could never we with drink. (Seeing snakes everywhere, freaking out and rolling around the floor, it was actually funnier then it sounds!). He woke up the next morning with no recollection past swallowing the pill but he was right as rain and went off to work. There was no illness and no puking. Now you could have been given something different, this is just an example.

Sounds to me like alcohol/food poisoning. I've had a bad drink before or something to eat and was sick for days. I've also blacked out on certain drinks (read vodka) without drinking that much.

I'd say take it easy and put it down to a bad drink/meal. Where people with you during the black out time? What were you like? Did they make sure you didn't do anything stupid. That's what terrifed me on my black out nights. did i go off and do something stupid with someone? Luckily I've always had good friends to take me home.

I feel sick just thinking about it this early in the morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

tbh wrote: »
    might just have been a bad pint.

Probably the 13th one. Previous 12 were OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Have you considered blaming Yakuza?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alchol is the number one date rape drug out there, no question, has been used for centuries as such. It is the recent myths of date rape drugs that has everybody shouting "spiked". If somebody has never had a blackout from drink before it can be a extremely strange experience, then they read a redtop rag and say "yep must have been spiked, couldnt have been harmless alcohol, sure its legal".

Many doctors in the US were trying to get GHB legalised, banned from claims of being a date rape drug. To knock a person out with GHB takes a very large dose, a recreational dose is hard enough to stomach, you certainly would not slip it in a drink and not notice it! imagine dumping 2-4 tablespoons of salt in your vodka & coke, that still might not make you pass out with GBH. GBH is used as an alternative recreational drug to alcohol, so it is in a lot of peoples interest to see it banned.

Your drink could well have been spiked, more likely with a double shot of vodka by some sleazy fecker, or just overindulged yourself.

I also did hear the dublin rape crisis centre stating no case was ever found of date rape drugs being used, other than "harmless" alcohol, and sure you can't ban that, mammy & bertie drink it.

I have a mate who often gets "bad burgers", the lads in mcdonalds must have breathalyzers or something, since they only serve him these "bad burgers" after 12pints.

Blokes get bad burgers,
    Wimmin get spiked,
    Those in the know get blackouts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As said above, drink spiking gets you off your face in a trippy stupid way, not a puking ill way. Thats too much booze.

Why do all these people think there is some sadistic bastard going around dropping free drugs into peoples drink. Bet all those people who pay for them feel stupid now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

micmclo wrote: »
    Off-topic:
    A lot people do things they regret on nights out and then claim they were spiked.
    It's about passing on blame.
    A girl will never tell her parents that she got realy drunk and they went home with some loser.
    But if she tells her family and her friends she was spiked, she immediately gets sympathy. What a cop-out!

I'm not saying that is you OP. I just see similar threads in Personal Issues all the time.
    "I drank 10 shots, ended up going up home with someone and I can't figure out why. It wasn't the alcohol I shoved down my throat, I bet someone spiked me as I'm entirely blamless"

You are correct, you were posioned and the poison was alcohol

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA + a million!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Alcoholic poisoning is also known as "a bad hangover". Or if the effects kick in earlier, simply "puking from too much drink".
    It would surely take a lot more to make a person sick for two days, wouldn't it?
    OP, I also think it's unlikely your drink was spiked, but maybe you picked up a nasty stomach bug that was just exacerbated by the amount of alcohol you drank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I have never once heard of someone who drinks water or minerals getting their drink spiked. It's always the puke/blackout inducing alcohol which gets spiked...

• Advertisement

Heh, true. But seriously though, has anyone else ever had a two-day hangover from hell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yes. One where I couldn't eat at all. Actually lasted til the evening of the third day. I was so passed out the lads were playing football and lay me down in goals as a Christy Brown type goalkeeper without the benefit of function in his left foot. i was wondering why I had dirt all down my side the next day. Puked too many times to count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gavrilo princip

Dudess wrote: »
    Heh, true. But seriously though, has anyone else ever had a two-day hangover from hell?
    Yes.
    Today is day two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Me too. 12 pints of guinness on christmas eve when i was only a lad. not a merry christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

Dudess wrote: »

Sure have and honey is the only thing for it. Honey metabolises before water :eek: so you won't puke it up as long as it is taken in small amounts, then your system will accelerate and process the poison :cool:.

• Advertisement

I never get headachey hangovers, just pukey ones. And Motillium is fantastic for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

My friend was out at a club, and he blacked out, and woke up in the toilet near closing time. He didn't know what happened that night and he was thinking about getting checked up. :confused:

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    My friend was out at a club, and he blacked out, and woke up in the toilet near closing time. He didn't know what happened that night and he was thinking about getting checked up. :confused:

How much did he drink?

I've woken up a few times in the toilet after being totally wasted. I think I naturally head there to puke, and then fall asleep...

Luckily, or unluckily, it takes a ginormous amount of alcohol to get me wasted (20+ pints) so this doesn't happen too often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

i was spiked in london, freakiest thing EVER!! :eek:
    only for the fact that it was my 1st drink out with my m8s, everyone else in the pub just thought i was blotto, luckily they brought me to hospital & it was confirmed via blood test.

come on now boys & girls, DONT BE IGNORANT & in turn careless.
    there have been confirmed cases of peoples drink being spiked here in ireland.
    but Never a confirmed case of GHD, the so called date rape drug.

as a girl i hate it when some daft bit of fluff, has far too much to drink & either shags someone or just makes a tit out of themseleves, then claims afterwards that theyd been spiked.
    makes genuine cases like me seem like feckn liars..

me & my m8s always keep an eye on each other so **** like this doesnt happen.
    plus it keeps us away from guys who only look gorgeous with our beer goggles on :D

Kiya wrote: »
    there have been confirmed cases of peoples drink being spiked here in ireland.

Do you have any evidence to back this up?

OK so I drank maybe 8/9 cocktails - but i mean like small glasses and each one with only 2 shots in it, if even that.... and I'd 2 shots of vodka..... is that too much?

Anyway yea I think it must have been a crazy stomach bug ..... definitely. It's so strange though.... I mean today I am still unwell (eg nauseous and lacking in energy).... but terribly unwell, but unwell all the same... I went to the hospital yesterday just to double sure that I wasn't dying of something - but all clear - you can never be too careful. I understand that why would someone waste their drugs on someone else, but still you have to be careful. I totally blacked out and woke up in the toilet puking up with a strange girl in the cubicle with me.

It's amazing the difference in opinion about this.
    By the way am I dumb or what does "OP" stand for?

I'm in Tokyo by the way, not Ireland... so anything is possible (eg spiking!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I've heard of a lot of people getting spiked in Fusion up in Drogheda in the last month or so... If ya blacked out ya probably were. Be careful in the future yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

OK so I drank maybe 8/9 cocktails - but i mean like small glasses and each one with only 2 shots in it, if even that.... and I'd 2 shots of vodka..

That's like three naguns? You beast, I couldn't drink that and not black out and I'm 6'3"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

OK so I drank maybe 8/9 cocktails - but i mean like small glasses and each one with only 2 shots in it, if even that.... and I'd 2 shots of vodka..... is that too much?

Are you mad or just stupid? This was obviously too much ffs. 8 cocktails with two shots of god knows what in each followed by 2 sots of vodka, that's 18 shots!!!

Are you mad or just stupid? This was obviously too much ffs. 8 cocktails with two shots of god knows what in each followed by 2 sots of vodka, that's 18 shots!!!

Well to be honest i think they were pre made up cocktail bottle things - you know those ones you can buy eg "Sex on the beach" in a bottle. I also had 2 screwdrivers... so thats only 2 shots.... Anyway I'm just guessing how much I had - it could have only been 5 cocktails.... I don't really know

• Advertisement
Advertisement