Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw 28.01.2008 [spoilers!!]

• 29-01-2008 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭

So, looks like Cena may not be going to Mania as Ortons opponent afterall.

How great would it be for Hardy to win the Elimination Chamber at NWO and Orton to retain, bring us to a stunning WrestleMania moment with Orton winning!

What will probably happen is HHH will win the Elimination Chamber match and face Orton, as has been planned for this year (apparently) and the last 2 years. I have heard this is what the USA network want.

Also, looks like it will be Kennedy to face, and beat(?), Flair at WM24; with a NWO fight to get things heated for the big one.

Fingers crossed Orton retains at NWO anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Didn't see Raw, just read the report. If Cena doesn't fight Orton at Mania, that will basically piss all over the idea of the Rumble. Absolute Joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Didn't see Raw, just read the report. If Cena doesn't fight Orton at Mania, that will basically piss all over the idea of the Rumble. Absolute Joke.

True - but then it could be seen as a money in the bank type of thing - Cena had the number 1 contendership from winning the Rumble, and cashed it in early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Cena to win at No Way Out. Completly devaluing Orton's title run in the process.

Trips to win the elimination chamber after being released from his chamber first. Making the rest of the participiants look like chumps in the process.

Then at Wrestlmania we have Superman 1 (Cena) Vs Superman 2 (Trips) in a Kryptonite cage match for the WWE title.

I was genuinly excited by Cena's return at the Rumble but now that I realise that this means that all of the fantastic booking which was done over the last few months now means nothing im pretty pissed about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Gah, it's all going horribly wrong. It's looking like HHH vs Cena at WM24 while making Orton a transition champion. So in the space of 24 hours, they have p!ssed all over the 2 stars that they have been promoting heavily over the last few months (Hardy and Orton).

It also rules out Orton vs Cena at WM24. In fact, I think this whole mess might turn into a fatal forway or some other gimmick match at WM. And being a fan of having tradition 1-on-1 matches for the title at WM, I'm nont too pleased.

At least my gf (not a massive fan, but a huge Cena/HHH fan) will enjoy WM way more now, so thats a good thing fo me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I'm begining to wonder if Cena will be at 'Mania in the title picture at all now.
    He could lose to Orton (making Orton a super-heel) and maybe, just maybe Jeff Hardy could win the Elimination Chamber. Think about it, Jeff finally gets the belt at WrestleMania, it would be an epic moment. Triple H can end Flair's career or whatever and Cena can finally turn heel and chase Jeff for the belt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Minto wrote: »
    I'm begining to wonder if Cena will be at 'Mania in the title picture at all now.
    He could lose to Orton (making Orton a super-heel) and maybe, just maybe Jeff Hardy could win the Elimination Chamber. Think about it, Jeff finally gets the belt at WrestleMania, it would be an epic moment. Triple H can end Flair's career or whatever and Cena can finally turn heel and chase Jeff for the belt!

Now that could be interesting.

How likely is it though?

Sigh.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Well Jeff is one of their biggest faces and who better to turn heel than their biggest face?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This Raw was nothing other than a No Way Out set-up show considering the short amount of time we have till that PPV.

Matches anounced
    Elimination Chamber: Y2J, JBL, Umaga, Jeff Hardy, HHH & HBK
    Retirement match: Flair vs Mr.Kennedy
    Title Match: Ortan (c) vs Cena

as much as i would like to (HBK or Y2J maybe) I cant see anyone but HHH from the EC headlining Mania.

Flair is definitley going to beat Kennedy why end the run a month from Mania and a true Wrestlemania moment when he will prob go out against whichever established main-eventer isnt involved in a title match (Batista/HBK)

IMO the Raw WM main-event will be a triple threat as its the only way not to $hit on Ortans title run or the Rumble winner i.e at No Way Out Cena vs Ortan will have a disputed finish antd the feud will continue along the road to Wrestlemania wher ethe winner of the EC will join up with them (HHH).

WM main-event: HHH vs Ortan(c) vs Cena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Quite a shame really. If Orton retains and Jeff wins the EC then we could have an epic WM title match, with all of that life-long dream stuff they were pushing for Jeff before the Rumble they could pull it the same way they did when Shawn first won it off Bret. Can't see it happening now though, but I'll keep hoping dammit!

Instead it looks like we're gonna have the two Supermen are gonna be going to the main event, although I do like Honcho's idea of a kryptonite steel cage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Flair is definitley going to beat Kennedy why end the run a month from Mania and a true Wrestlemania moment when he will prob go out against whichever established main-eventer isnt involved in a title match (Batista/HBK)

I can see them giving Kennedy the rub and have him beat Flair at 'Mania. And I guess if you want to make Kennedy a true established star, it's not a bad way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Poor Orton. What a title run he had. So close to Wrestlemania. I can't see him retaining. It's a damn shame. If anyone deserves to headline it's Orton. Now he has to job to Mr. charisma.

Cena HHH at Wrestlemania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i can see kennedy losing to flair, then Flair stating he will retire on his own terms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

IMO the Raw WM main-event will be a triple threat as its the only way not to $hit on Ortans title run or the Rumble winner i.e at No Way Out Cena vs Ortan will have a disputed finish antd the feud will continue along the road to Wrestlemania wher ethe winner of the EC will join up with them (HHH).

WM main-event: HHH vs Ortan(c) vs Cena

My exact thoughts right there. Probably see Jeff winning the Money In The Bank match, he said the other day in an interview that's the match he wanted to be in at mania but i'm sure if they offered him the main event he wouldn't be too sad! Not going to happen though and yet another 3 months of HHH being shoved down our throats.

Also i assume Flair will lose at Mania, no point in him winning, wasting a huge rub from one of the greatest ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I wonder will Jeff drop the IC title or will it be six years without an IC title defence at WM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Fozzy wrote: »
    I wonder will Jeff drop the IC title or will it be six years without an IC title defence at WM?

Its about time he dropped it alright. Put the belt on Santino I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

why is everyone feeling so bad for orton?? after all he is just a transitional champ at best, he never beat cena for the title and was never likely to, by the time NWO rolls around orton will have held the belt for 135 days (a good long run in this day and for any champ).

personally i can see the orton/cena match going to a double dq or something and both still headlining mania alongside supertrips who will squish all challengers in the EC. There is only one person winning the EC and it aint hardy, michaels, jbl, jericho or umaga :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

In my humble opinion it looks like WWE tried to fool everybody by having Cena win the Rumble but Cena can't go so now he has to cash in his shot which will be a match that either wont happen on will have a dq finish or something

It looks like they booked themselves into a corner and are now trying to get out, the stipulation of the rumble is that the winner gets a title shot at Wrestlemania so basically this whole thing is bull****

Or i could be wrong and Cena will take the title and bring it into WM vs HHH which isnt the best main event they could do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I don't understand why people think Hunter is going to be in the Main event. I think Minto is certainly on the right track and it will be HHH vs. Flair. If HHH really has as much sway with the company as everyone says than surely he'd pick to end the career of his idol rather than win the belt for the 12th time. I actually think he'd want to tap to the figure 4 and have Flair retire having beaten an 11 time champion and from what I know of Flair, he'd want Hunter to be the one who finishes him

EdK wrote: »
    Or i could be wrong and Cena will take the title and bring it into WM vs HHH which isnt the best main event they could do

But it's a match featuring their top two stars. Like it or not, HHH is loved by the average WWE fan. Listen to his reaction every week. And the amount of merchandise he sells. I think only Mysterio comes close

I'm thinking that maybe the plan was for HHH to take the title from Orton or possibly Jeff at WM, but with Cena back they obviously want him in the main event as he's their top star. I can't argue against that. And now they probably still want HHH to take the title so they can continue however they planned to after WM

Wrestling is **** now because they do things to sell merchandise and stuff, i know its always been kind of like that but not as bad asnow

• Advertisement

Wrestling is **** now because they do things to sell merchandise and stuff, i know its always been kind of like that but not as bad asnow

Wrestling has always been a business. I know what you mean though. There are certain guys that get pushed so hard and for so long that it's hard to stomach sometimes.

I know it has but the title hasnt always been on the guy who sells the most t-shirts

It has always been like that! Although less based on merchandise and more based on ticket sales in the past, pretty much the same thing though. Look back at all the top faces in the past and you'll find guys who could sell out arenas time after time

I think it just seems worse now because there's only one main wrestling promotion. If there were another two with the same level of coverage as WWE and who booked in a logical way then you'd have alternatives, but because it's just WWE and some people don't like Cena or HHH it alienates those fans. Not WWE's problem though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Whats the reasoning behind Cena facing Orton at NWO? They may as well discontinue the Rumble at this stage as it counts for ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The thing is, it is WWE's problem.

There was a huge pop for Cena at the rumble, but only because people recognised the entrance music. Christ, Piper and his belly got just as much of a pop. Watching him in the ring against HHH tells the real story.
    When they were trading punches, it was boos for Cena and cheers for HHH.

Cena has the kiddie market in much the same way a boyband does with regards to the music industry. HHH has the smark market. The WWE would be quite wrong to neglect the smark market, because all those kids will grow up.

Little betty with her sign saying that Cena rocks her world will be a teenager soon and will progress to Hardy and from him to HHH.

Last night was an example of them catering to the smark market with the DX thing.
    We all get a laugh from the cheeky jokes and crap that DX do and the plugging of the t-shirts.
    Granted, we're not all gonna fork out for those t-shirts, but you can be assured that the north American smarks will.

The internet has changed the face of wrestling and Vince knows that. That's why HHH is still a contender and why Hardy is getting a shot too.

Terry wrote: »
    The thing is, it is WWE's problem.

There was a huge pop for Cena at the rumble, but only because people recognised the entrance music. Christ, Piper and his belly got just as much of a pop. Watching him in the ring against HHH tells the real story.
    When they were trading punches, it was boos for Cena and cheers for HHH.

Cena has the kiddie market in much the same way a boyband does with regards to the music industry. HHH has the smark market. The WWE would be quite wrong to neglect the smark market, because all those kids will grow up.

Little betty with her sign saying that Cena rocks her world will be a teenager soon and will progress to Hardy and from him to HHH.

Last night was an example of them catering to the smark market with the DX thing.
    We all get a laugh from the cheeky jokes and crap that DX do and the plugging of the t-shirts.
    Granted, we're not all gonna fork out for those t-shirts, but you can be assured that the north American smarks will.

The internet has changed the face of wrestling and Vince knows that. That's why HHH is still a contender and why Hardy is getting a shot too.

But there's a massive problem with appealing to the internet community. Most of them watch all the shows for free online, including PPVs. If you leave Cena and Punk and other kiddie's favourites you'd probably see a drop in PPV sales. Even if The MIZ! was guaranteed a World Title at a PPV I wouldn't pay for it because it's free online the next day.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hunter is a big name because he's doing the boss' daughter ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not sure I agree with you. Smarks for years have HHHated. Cena is there as well now. Honestly, I think people are reading too much into the Cena boos at the Rumble.

Its the same dynamic, which does my head in something huge, as the indies with the dueling chants. A fella may not actually be behind the guy he chants for, but does so as he feels it adds to the live atmosphere.

Smark is an overused term anyway. You can be accused of being a smark if you:
    Hate Cena
    Love Cena
    Love WWE
    Hate WWE
    Love ROH
    Hate ROH
    Love Japanese Wrestling
    Hate Japanese wrestling
    etc
    etc
    etc
    etc
    Personally I feel it has lost all meaning at this stage.
    Cena has the kiddie market in much the same way a boyband does with regards to the music industry.

Thing is, Cena is actually a half decent wrestler. He would be more accepted by older fans if he was not saddled with about the worst main event gimmick ever. Fact is, WWE is a business, a SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT company. Cena does the job better than anyone of selling merch. I would imagine his gear probably outsells everything else by 10:1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

If Cena Headlines WM, ill be glad, because before he got injured think of the matches he was having they were either solid or good, now i know we all were not fans of him wininng every match but since last years WM and even before that with umaga he's really stepped up.

Id prefer a 1v1 for the main event at WM, Orton (C) vs Cena but i think Huntar! will be in there, at least jeff will get another big push after MITB. if not winning the EC doubtful but heres hoping.

I didnt see raw, did Cena just use his #1 shot for no way out ? .

P.S I think the WWE are shooting themselves in the foot with 2 EC in one PPV, not just because there not great matches. All of top tier wreslters are going to be in the EC for Raw and Smackdown, which will not leave the right amount of time for feuds to build up going into WM, so were going to end up with a fairly good WM main event, JBL vs Jericho (street fight? ) , Flair vs Someone(been building it its getting better) , MITB . All of the other matches will be poorly booked with not enough promo's and matches in between no way out and WM.

All of the other matches will be poorly booked with not enough promo's and matches in between no way out and WM.

Not necessarily. There's six Raws between the two PPVs, 50% more time to build a match for a PPV than they usually have. A match like JBL vs Jericho can still be built in the next two weeks as well as at No Way Out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

they can't let cena headline WM, they could probably do something like thye did with jericho and jbl (someone screws him out of the title at NWO- he starts a feud with them) cena is the poor mans dwane "the rock" johnson (he needs his full title now) i want HHH or HBK there! those feuds with orton ended way too easily!

also, whats everyones opinion on the dx reunion on monday? are they back properly or just for that one night because they are against each other in the EC? bring them back properly i say!! DX 4 LIFE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I think the DX thing on Raw was just the one night only, part 11 - "Plug the new shirt" reunion. Theres no need for DX. And the new shirt is awful.

I'm actually looking forward to No Way Out because it sould give some of the other talent a chance to show themselves right after the Rumble. In the right match, Morrison (and to a lesser extent the MIZ ;)) could make a big impact

Not necessarily. There's six Raws between the two PPVs, 50% more time to build a match for a PPV than they usually have. A match like JBL vs Jericho can still be built in the next two weeks as well as at No Way Out

I already said that Jericho/JBL have good build up going into any match, because they've been having a feud already, and the EC match can build upon that. Its the rest of the wrestlers,

Raw wrestlers in EC
    HHH -Going to win most likely,
    Umaga- Whats he after he loses for WM?
    Jeff hardy- Could win it but doubtful- probably MITB
    JBL-Jericho - already commented on
    HBK- ??? Kennedy is fighting Flair so hes out, HHH in main event, mabye MITB but hes wasted there

Smackdown wrestlers in EC
    Undertaker - Going to win most likely
    Batista- Could win, if not whats he do? Flair retirement match?
    Big Daddy V- We all know hes going to lose , and who cares what he does
    Khali- Same as above ^^
    Finlay- Not going to win/ May feud with Vinnie Mac
    MVP- Not going to win, loses valuable time feuding with matt hardy even if its just promo's and beat downs.

Besides a few on both brands , most these guys will have no one to feud with a little time to build a good mid card match for WM. I just find its disappointing that WM might turn out to be very very poor. Im hoping not.

P.S why didnt they just get Jeff vs HHH again for the number 1 contender shot,. Same for Smackdown Undertaker vs Batista?

Double C wrote: »
    Theres no need for DX. And the new shirt is awful.
    theres ALWAYS a need for DX! wwe gets dreary and overly serious without them, i think they should try get a few groups again, like in the days of dx/evolution/ministry/corporation/the union - ah those wer the days!!

• Advertisement

they can't let cena headline WM

I've been reading so many comments here like that since Sunday and I just can't comprehend them! Cena is WWE's biggest star, nobody can dispute that. If you're going to have one guy in your main event at your biggest show, then it should be your biggest star

I haven't enjoyed the "new" DX at all since they reunited. HHH just isn't cut out for comedy and Shawn looks like he's just playing along at this stage because they need to plug the t-shirts, he seems very insincere. And WWE will never get dreary as long as Santino's around!

I don't think there'll be any problem with building the feuds and matches after No Way Out. How many feuds had been built up by that stage last year? Just the three big matches

I don't think there'll be any problem with building the feuds and matches after No Way Out. How many feuds had been built up by that stage last year? Just the three big matches

They already have a number of feuds that could easily slot in at WM. MVP vs. Hardy for instance hasn't been mentioned in a while but I'd be surprised if it wasn't on the card. There'll obviously be a Flair match and at least a match for 2 titles, probably 3, all of which have feuds behind them. Then there's money in the Bank, Jericho vs. JBL and you have 7 matches already. They'll be grand

Raw got a 3.9 rating according to the observer. Biggest rating in quite some time.

!Cena is WWE's biggest star, nobody can dispute that. If you're going to have one guy in your main event at your biggest show, then it should be your biggest star

Biggest star? ill have to disagree, in my opinion HHH is bigger, both a better superstar and a bigger draw, he got a bigger reception on his reunion than cena did, and normally shock/surprise comebacks are better than the build up ones!

And WWE will never get dreary as long as Santino's around!

santino!? gimme a break, the guy is a bad stereotype and just annoying!

Biggest star? ill have to disagree, in my opinion HHH is bigger, both a better superstar and a bigger draw, he got a bigger reception on his reunion than cena did, and normally shock/surprise comebacks are better than the build up ones!!

Come on, seriously! WWE need Cena on tv a lot more than they need HHH. Cena is their biggest draw and their biggest star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

love him or despise him he's the biggest draw they have

but personally i dont want to see cena v HHH at wrestlemania. wwe creative may do something to change my mind on that but im not into it at all

IMO...
    orton needs to be in that main event and needs to retain...or win if cena wins at NWO. HHH winning would be hard to stomach. cena winning would be boring and too soon after his comeback unless he did a massive heel turn a la stone cold

we all know how likely that is though :rolleyes: (re: the first point i made!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I don't think Cena is that big. When he had that 1on1 with HHH in the Rumble, a good few people were booing him. And when he won i could hear a few boos too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Biggest star? ill have to disagree, in my opinion HHH is bigger, both a better superstar and a bigger draw, he got a bigger reception on his reunion than cena did, and normally shock/surprise comebacks are better than the build up ones!

santino!? gimme a break, the guy is a bad stereotype and just annoying!

hush! Santino is one of the most entertaining things on Raw these days, i couldnt care less if i never saw him wrestle again just let him do comedy promos and itll make his career

Nature Boy wrote: »
    I don't think Cena is that big. When he had that 1on1 with HHH in the Rumble, a good few people were booing him. And when he won i could hear a few boos too...

That was the "cool" New York fans. Going by that logic Mysterio isn't over and Tommy Dreamer is a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

here here fozzy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yeah the New Yorkers just boo who they want and cheer some odd choices, remember the pop Scott Steiner of all people got at the 2002 Survivor Series, one of the worst workers ever and the place went banana sandwich when his crappy music played

Ye your probably right, but its easy to criticise and fun too :)

krudler wrote: »
    yeah the New Yorkers just boo who they want and cheer some odd choices, remember the pop Scott Steiner of all people got at the 2002 Survivor Series, one of the worst workers ever and the place went banana sandwich when his crappy music played

Am i the only one who thinks steiner isnt so bad?,not in wwe maybe but he's been solid in tna

Am i the only one who thinks steiner isnt so bad?,not in wwe maybe but he's been solid in tna

I agree. He was well passed his peak but WWE never played to his strength's. He was phenomenal when he was younger.

the best thing he did in wwe was fall off the ring apron

• Advertisement
Advertisement