Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red Light Runners!

Options
  • 29-01-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

Alright this is a bugbear of mine for two reasons:

1. Its dangerous, malicious and wholly irresponsible.

2. Its responsible for the large time delay between the lights in one direction going red and the lights on the crossing road going green, hence adding to congestion.

Reason im posting is that I was beeped and flashed last night by some little boy racer sh1t for slowing for an amber light. I didn't feel that I would have made the light so he defo wouldn't have.

The lights on the M1/M50 roundabout are a classic amber gambler junction also.

Why can't we have the Red light 'safety cameras' to catch the scum who break lights and actually use camera's to catch people who are actually doing something dangerous.

P.s. I'm not a slow or hesitant driver by any stretch of the imagination, this just really bugs me.[/COLOR]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Why do you set your text to black? Some of us are using the black skin for boards and your text is invisible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Uh your text is black too, change your skin..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Redlight Runners?

Aren't they what Kids used to wear and the soles lit up whenever they jumped or ran :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see your point Ferris but it is too costly to provide cameras at each set of lights.
    What you should do is contact Garda Trafficwatch and report the driver - 1890 205 805

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

kbannon wrote: »
    What you should do is contact Garda Trafficwatch and report the driver - 1890 205 805

You'll only be wasting your time as well as your credit. From my experience there's nothing they can really do, its the drivers word against the RL runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

yeah that no use as the Guards can't do anything and the driver has usually gone so you've little chance of catching his reg.

I wouldn't advocate cameras at every set of lights, just dangerous ones or lights where theres a high occurance of red light running like the lights at the M1/M50 roundabout. There's actually a dublin bus/driver who has broken these lights on two consecutive days in front of me at the same time in the morning. I reported him to Dublin Bus tho.

i know that you wouldn't dare run a red light in Belfast because the lights change so fast up there you'd stand a good chance of being hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

It's one thing i've noticed in Dublin, I'm taking off at a junction and cars are still crossing in front of me, bloody nuts! Dunno how they're are not more accidents?

Saying that, the end of the small road parallel to the n11 by ucd the lights dont seem to change at night or something? was there 15 minutes one night with nothing happening. these days i just treat it as a yield right of way if they dont change in a few minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 liljenny

i have seen countless people vreak red lights and they dont seem to care at all, i do be heading to work in the morinings at about half seven and the amopunt of people that break reds just because theres no other cars is unbelievable, i cant understand the lack of patience

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Why do you set your text to black? Some of us are using the black skin for boards and your text is invisible.

Black is the default so your text appears as black to us; his text is set to blue... which would also be virtually invisible on the black skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kbannon wrote: »
    I see your point Ferris but it is too costly to provide cameras at each set of lights.
    Given the number of red light runners I think it might actually be self financing after the initial outlay...

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Happens all the time. Just before Christmas I was second in a que, truck in front was turning right. Once the lights changed the truck inched forward, I was able to pass on the left, as I was about to move quicker, a Garda on a bike sailed through the red light, looked around, copped wht he had done, so slapped on the blues and fecked off. I was trying to decide if I should have blasted him with the horn or not, Decided against.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's not as annoying as the folks who take an age to move off once the lights have gone green.

ballooba wrote: »
    It's not as annoying as the folks who take an age to move off once the lights have gone green.
    they are waiting for the tossers that run the red lights to pass. Lets face it, if you are taking off sharply from a newly green light you are taking your life in your hand. That said there are some idiots that are slow simply because they are slow.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

GaryCocs wrote: »

Saying that, the end of the small road parallel to the n11 by ucd the lights dont seem to change at night or something? was there 15 minutes one night with nothing happening. these days i just treat it as a yield right of way if they dont change in a few minutes!

Due to low volumes of traffic these lights work on a sensor, if you stop in the proper place (i.e. just before the white line, not over it) the lights will change for you.

MrPudding wrote: »
    they are waiting for the tossers that run the red lights to pass. Lets face it, if you are taking off sharply from a newly green light you are taking your life in your hand. That said there are some idiots that are slow simply because they are slow.

MrP
    I always set off as soon as the light is green. Sometimes I give amber gamblers a bit of a fright. It's not like I won't see them though.

We should have amber before green. It would solve all our problems in this regard. Many people already predict the lights anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Happens all the time. Just before Christmas I was second in a que, truck in front was turning right. Once the lights changed the truck inched forward, I was able to pass on the left, as I was about to move quicker, a Garda on a bike sailed through the red light, looked around, copped wht he had done, so slapped on the blues and fecked off. I was trying to decide if I should have blasted him with the horn or not, Decided against.

There is nothing wrong with a garda breaking a orange or red light.

It is not against the law and he does not have to be responding to an emergency or call.

ballooba wrote: »
    I always set off as soon as the light is green. Sometimes I give amber gamblers a bit of a fright. It's not like I won't see them though.

We should have amber before green. It would solve all our problems in this regard. Many people already predict the lights anyway.
    I have to admit, I am partial to that myself. Very irrisponsible, I know, but if they get a fright they might think twice about running a light on the future.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Chief--- wrote: »

It is not against the law and he does not have to be responding to an emergency or call.

Well he certainly took his chances, had the truck not been in front of me, he probably would have smashed into the side of my car, and I wouldn't have needed to take of like a bat out of hell. Light had changed for a good few seconds. They guy was half alseep on his bike, or had his mind on something else.

MrPudding wrote: »
    I have to admit, I am partial to that myself. Very irrisponsible, I know, but if they get a fright they might think twice about running a light on the future.

MrP
    Mneh. If they hit me it's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Chief--- wrote: »
    There is if he gets flattened by an artic.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Well he certainly took his chances, had the truck not been in front of me, he probably would have smashed into the side of my car, and I wouldn't have needed to take of like a bat out of hell. Light had changed for a good few seconds. They guy was half alseep on his bike, or had his mind on something else.

Oh I get ya now.

Didnt realise there was a close call, yeah he was probably asleep.

Advertisement