Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nearlygotkilled last night !

Options
  • 29-01-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

as the title reads.

i was walking down one of the local streets last night in the irishtown/sandymount/ringsend , near irishtown staiduim , the small 1 way road which runs along side the mainroad ( go's along side canton house , hamiltions building supplys , illenis fish and chip ).

so the story:

i was walking towards ringsend on that road ( towards town... ) and having looked left for the 1 way traffic i proceeded to walk when out of no where a leaner driver in a wreak of a fiat punto comes rallying up the wrong way and by the looks of everyne there broke the lights.

he locked on and i got smacked at 15-20 mph... not really injury but it scared the f*** out of me !

turns out the b****** was on prov. 3 !

so the gardi station is litterally across the road so within 2 mins gardi where there ( record time ! ) and took all the detals and such info.

so now the idiots going to court , the only question is.... How in the name is all thats holy do you go wrong way up a 1 way street without seeing all the traffic coming towards you , not to mention all the signs on the road Aswell should he not of had a passenger in the car with a full leisence ??

imo anyone with prov. 2 or higher should be short from this exp.

opinions anyones ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

i wouldn't post details of the accident here (or call anyone names) as it could prejudice your case.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

S.I.R wrote: »
    i was walking towards ringsend on that road ( towards town... ) and having looked left for the 1 way traffic i proceeded to walk ....

How in the name is all thats holy do you go wrong way up a 1 way street without seeing all the traffic coming towards you ,

So you say this driver did not see all the traffic coming towards them?
    But at the same time you crossed the road so was there traffic at all?

It doesn't excuse what happened though.
    You're not blameless, always check both ways before crossing a road. Mainly for cyclists as ROTR and one way streets don't apply to them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Cant help as I dont know the area but glad you werent hurt too badly !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What's the fact that he had a Prov got to do with it ? My 12 year old knows you can't you can't drive the wrong way up a one way .

I read somewhere that in a recent report here in Ireland it was proven that Learner drivers have far fewer accidents per head that Full Licence holders.

Sorting out the problems on our roads is not about Licenses, it's about enforcing the laws on dangerous and reckless driving .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The Muppet wrote: »
    What's the fact that he had a Prov got to do with it ?
    He shouldn't have been driving unaccompanied. Had he been accompanied by a licensed driver he would have been much less likely to be driving the wrong way up a one way street, don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I recon a civil case for about 250'000 should teach him a lesson...tool....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

What's the fact that he had a Prov got to do with it ? My 12 year old knows you can't you can't drive the wrong way up a one way .

I read somewhere that in a recent report here in Ireland it was proven that Learner drivers have far fewer accidents per head that Full Licence holders.

Sorting out the problems on our roads is not about Licenses, it's about enforcing the laws on dangerous and reckless driving .

Holding a full licence is the only indication that a person has a least some competence with respect to driving. I understand that some full licence holders are rubbish and I am sure that seom provisional holders are fantastic, but the fact remains that there has to be differentiation and at the moment the method of differentiation is the test.

I think the licence status of this driver is very relevant. Perhaps if he'd had a full licence holder in the car with him, as he is required to do, the full licence holder might have been able to alert him to the fact he was about to turn up a one way street?

This is the main reason for being accompanied. A provisional driver has to concentrate on the actual driving more than an experienced driver. As a result, observation my not be a good as it could be. In addition, having a person sitting beside you can have a "reigning in" effect, this can also be useful.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Anan1 wrote: »
    He shouldn't have been driving unaccompanied. Had he been accompanied by a licensed driver he would have been much less likely to be driving the wrong way up a one way street, don't you think?

I don't think he should need a licensed driver to tell him not to drive the wrong way up a one way street especiialy if he was on his third provisional.

Mr. P I agree with you but IMO there is too much emphasis put on the Provisional License holders and not enough on the standard of driving of all road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

4 points and a few hundred euro fine and that prat is back on the road again.

Its all about driver training. The government should be running courses regularly that all people starting to drive must attend before they can get behind the wheel of a car. It could be used to show them what would happen should they hit someone at 10/20.30/40 mph. That'll bring it all home.

It all comes down to government laziness. Why cant we be as up to speed as Australia when it comes to motoring safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I don't think he should need a licensed driver to tell him not to drive the wrong way up a one way street especiialy if he was on his third provisional.

Mr .P I agree with you but IMO there is too much emphasis put on the Provisional holders License and not enough on the standard of driving of all road users.
    Absolutly, but the fact is he did go the wrong way up the road, so obviously he does need someone to tell him.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MrPudding wrote: »
    Absolutly, but the fact is he did go the wrong way up the road, so obviously he does need someone to tell him.

MrP

Or maybe the person is just some scroat who decided to go up the one way street knowingly, cause it would be quicker or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a confusing three way junction as part of a one way system outside my house and people regularly drive down the wrong way. Thankfully they rarely have built up enough speed , but one day someone will. Most of it I would put down to people not knowing the layout but even if they do, it's a reasonable defence as it is very poorly signposted.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

:eek:wow wat a stupid idiot.hope your ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

How in the name is all thats holy do you go wrong way up a 1 way street without seeing all the traffic coming towards you

Maybe he was only going the one way, no problem with that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Me neither. Fact is though, he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

opinions anyones ?

Wow, looks like he knocked your spelling & grammar right out of you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

degsie wrote: »
    Wow, looks like he knocked your spelling & grammer right out of you :rolleyes:

Does anyone else see the irony in spelling grammar incorrectly when complaining about someone else's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

he locked on and i got smacked at 15-20 mph...

Thats the equivalent of running into a stopped car at full tilt. Are you sure your not injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

javaboy wrote: »
    Does anyone else see the irony in spelling grammar incorrectly when complaining about someone else's?

ha!

ZING!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

The old spellin and gramma
    My no1 all time pet hate for Forum Thread responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

javaboy wrote: »

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

lightening wrote: »
    Thats the equivalent of running into a stopped car at full tilt. Are you sure your not injured?

nice bruise and a sore hip... nothing that can stop me going from a to b.... rather uncomforably...

@ egan007 - i wish...

@ javaboy - thats why i tell everyone to stay in school... i know from exp.

@annemarie13 - ill survive , i will survive , as long as i got wheatabix i know ill stay alive.

anyways i suppose ill just have to see , going to the doctors soon to sort myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

opinions anyones ?

Learn the Safe cross code, you might live longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEssgMQ1O_k

Advertisement