Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help an old school techie build a new school machine!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Leave the gfx card till last and wait a while to see what the processors are doing. What'll you be doing for cooling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Kharn wrote: »
    Leave the gfx card till last and wait a while to see what the processors are doing. What'll you be doing for cooling?

yeah that was my plan, im going tog et the cheapest stuff, mobo ram, psu etc first. For cooling ill be okay with stock HSF on the cpu as i wont be OC'ing. Was always too scared of watercooling to go near it haha..so nothing fancy, jsut a few fans and a big case

That'll probably be OK for what you're up to. Can't reccommend that Antec p900 case enough, it looks the daddy and has a lovely glow to it and is practically artic when you crank the fans to 11 :D

Kharn wrote: »
    That'll probably be OK for what you're up to. Can't reccommend that Antec p900 case enough, it looks the daddy and has a lovely glow to it and is practically artic when you crank the fans to 11 :D

yeah im debating wether or not to go for a new case or just strip my current one and use that.
    Actually that brings me to a point i just relaised, i dont see anything about IDE conectors on that mobo, does that mean id have to rebuy SATA cd/dvd drives??

edit:
    sure dvd writers are cheap as chips on dabs so it shouldnt be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

according to the specs on dabs it has 1 x ata which is IDE.

• Advertisement

according to the specs on dabs it has 1 x ata which is IDE.

thanks jebus, man ive forgotten so much since i built my first... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Id personally change the psu for a corsair 620xh. Its completly silent and all the internal gubbins are seasonic made. So you get a great warrenty ( corsair ) and excellent components ( seasonic ) Plus your not ever gonan use 750w with that pc. 500w would even do you to be honest. Plus the cables on the corsair psu's are alot neater to deal with then the toughpower ones.

Anti wrote: »
    Id personally change the psu for a corsair 620xh. Its completly silent and all the internal gubbins are seasonic made. So you get a great warrenty ( corsair ) and excellent components ( seasonic ) Plus your not ever gonan use 750w with that pc. 500w would even do you to be honest. Plus the cables on the corsair psu's are alot neater to deal with then the toughpower ones.

duly noted, thanks :D
    is this it?

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4B0R&CategorySelectedId=11259&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11259,49450000,50113

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Why not just get a 8800 GT from hardwareversand.de? its only about 210 euros without postage.

Its much better value and faster than the 8800GTS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jonny72 wrote: »
    Why not just get a 8800 GT from hardwareversand.de? its only about 210 euros without postage.

Its much better value and faster than the 8800GTS?

512mb 8800GTS is better then the 512mb 8800GT.

the dabs value is an Inno3d card, comes with Advanced Warfighter bundle, 258 euro.

HavoK wrote: »
    512mb 8800GTS is better then the 512mb 8800GT.

the dabs value is an Inno3d card, comes with Advanced Warfighter bundle, 258 euro.

I think Dabs are a bit like overclockers in that their "value" cards change depending on what stock they have. Nothing wrong with the cards though, most are still based off the reference design anyways.

Though, personally i'd go for the EVGA for the lifetime warranty and step up program.

I have an Inno3D 8800GTX and whilst it's never given me any jip, the fan's really loud (loudest thing in the case), so worth keeping in mind.

I think Dabs are a bit like overclockers in that their "value" cards change depending on what stock they have. Nothing wrong with the cards though, most are still based off the reference design anyways.

Though, personally i'd go for the EVGA for the lifetime warranty and step up program.

Yeah I would as well to be honest. Nothing like peace of mind. Regarding Dabs Value, they are actually constant, not just rotating special offers like OC-UK. Dabs Value are nearly all Inno3d in Nvidia, and I think Austek in Ati - they've had the same Value GTX and GTS from the very beginning. The Value GTX though is nothing special anymore, they haven't updated prices to reflect the current market though this GTX at 380 is a pretty decent deal.

OT: Cool, didn't know that Havok. Was thinking of a 3870 myself so will check out the dabs value one if it's asustek.
    Edit: Asustek is already the cheapest 3870 on dabs :)

Is there a Dabs Value 3870? I think there's just an actual Austek one, and it's actually the cheapest too, even with a free copy of Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts. Be warned though, mine's been on order for about 25 days....

Cool, just saw this:

3870X2, just in...

well based on suggestions here i had decided to go for the EVGA 8800GTS..seemed like the best option really. are dabs always that slow to deliver??

no, if the item is in stock it is usually sent out pretty quickly.

Be warned though you may get an email about a security check and have to confirm details with them, a process which can take a day or two.

well i ordered my first part, i decided to get a new case (i had cocnerns about an 8800 fitting in my current case, my 7800 just about manages it)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341700

went for this in the end, it was this or the antec 900, and on a purely cosmetic level i prefer this case, its just a bit curvier than the antec, and only a tenner in the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ive got that case myself. excellent cooling and it looks lovely.
    lots of room inside and the 8800gt will fit with ample room for everything.

cable management is excellent on the case aswel.
    ill throw a pic of my rig up when i get home to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Conar

Would you not wait a few months for the new Intel CPU's to come in.
    Should see a lot of price changes then I would imagine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Rgd the GPU I think when you way up all your options ask yourself whether you want a "single slot" card or a "dual slot".

It may make all the difference going forward should you require more slots on that mobo.

All the cards suggested are in high demand presently but when you way up the pro's and cons the single slot GT is IMO the smartest choice out there now.

well im going for single slot, i dont really want or need, or cana fford, to buy two gpus, and from what i hear sli isnt all its cracked up to be anyway.
    regardingt he cpu, by the time i get around to ordering the cpu, the newer intels will probably be out by then! so ill see how it goes. After i get paid on the 13th ill probably pick up the mobo & ram. then next month psu/hdd and leave the cpu/gpu til last

Oubliette, AFAIK the 8800gts 512mb is a Dual slot option (will cover the pci slot next to it) the 8800gt is the single slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Conar

0ubliette wrote: »
    well im going for single slot, i dont really want or need, or cana fford, to buy two gpus, and from what i hear sli isnt all its cracked up to be anyway.
    regardingt he cpu, by the time i get around to ordering the cpu, the newer intels will probably be out by then! so ill see how it goes. After i get paid on the 13th ill probably pick up the mobo & ram. then next month psu/hdd and leave the cpu/gpu til last

It'd be best to set aside the money for the stuff this month, do the same next month, and when you have it all go and buy.
    You won't be able to use it all togather until then anyway and you'll most likely find that the first batch of components will have dropped in price by then and you can either get an upgrade or save money.

Oubliette, AFAIK the 8800gts 512mb is a Dual slot option (will cover the pci slot next to it) the 8800gt is the single slot.

im not sure i follow you on this, you mean the gts has the option to be run in sli, is that it? or is it that the gts covers the 2nd slot so that theres only enough room for one card? :confused:

hang on i think i get you now

783_p2_3.jpg

you mean it actually takes up the 2 pci slots, like above pic^

whats the benefit of that, is it just for SLI?

Both :) The gts has a huge cooler on it so will cover 2 slots. However if you're getting an sli enabled board that won't matter as the pci express slots for gfx are usually spaced out pretty well so you also have the option of running in sli.However, there could be a pci slot next to the express slot that you will lose use of.

Both :) The gts has a huge cooler on it so will cover 2 slots. However if you're getting an sli enabled board that won't matter as the pci express slots for gfx are usually spaced out pretty well so you also have the option of running in sli.However, there could be a pci slot next to the express slot that you will lose use of.

grand so, i get ya now! i dont think ill be getting any other expansion cards that might possibly use that pci slot...hmm. so far from what ive specced the graphics card is the only thing i can think of. i dont use ANY pci boards in my current machine, so i cant see it being that much of an issue, i hope :)

just as an update, so far ive gotten:

case
    NZXT LEXA Blackline, Blue Edition,
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341700

mobo
    ABIT IP35 PRO, P35, Socket-775
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335649

RAM
    OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339129

HDD
    500 GB samsung spinpoint 7200RPM
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327715

And a copy of 64bit vista home premium. Coming along nicely so far!

• Advertisement

Almost finished now, have ordered all components, heres the final spec, tell us what ya think!

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Socket LGA775, 8MB

GFX: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB GDDR3,
    PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, with CRYSIS

OEM DVD 64bit

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2
    16MB 7200RPM

MOBO: ABIT IP35 PRO, P35, Socket-775, ATX,
    Silent Otes2, 2xGbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16

RAM: OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT,
    w/two 2048MB PC6400

CASE: NZXT LEXA Blackline, Blue Edition,
    Screwless design, (Without PSU)

POWER SUPPLY: Seasonic M12 600W, 120mm Fan, Modular
    Cables

DRIVE: LG DVD Drive, GDR-H20NRBB, SATA, 16x52,
    Black OEM

:D
    Should get the last bits next week, or if im lucky by friday. ill upload some pics when (if) i get it working!

Advertisement