Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most attractive cinema CHARACTERS (with Blurb and no numbers listings etc)!

• 29-01-2008 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

These are the movie CHARACTERS (as opposed to the actors/actresses who play them) who have made me sit up and go "ooh, she’s nicer than my wife!" (or words to that effect).

Emily Watson (Lena Leonard)The love interest of Adam Sandler in PunchDrunk. I could see her becoming a pain in time but just for the duration of the movie she is ideal. Sandler is acting weird and yet she just accepts him for what he is, no compromise. The scene in bed where they talk about smashing each others faces is true romantic perfection. Try saying that to your burd sometime and see how she reacts. That's what Lena makes the top 5.

Kate Winslet (Clementine Kruczynski)Not sure why I chose this one. Could be the hair maybe, maybe I'm just a masoochist? ETOSM clearly demonstrates that she is not a nice person beyond the fun "getting to know you" phase. Yep, guess it must be the hair. I think she just represents inevitability to me and sometimes that can be comforting.

Julie Delpy (Celine)The mysterious woman that we all have enter our life for a brief period but is then gone all too soon. You know she'd mess with your head and be totally unreliable (as was subsequently proven) but you wouldn't care it's fun to have someone that you can talk to endlessly about subjects that are bigger than yourself.

Audrey Tautou (Amélie Poulain)
    Such innocent beauty. Wouldn't we all like to know someone like this? A totally selfless person who knows how to solve everyones problems (other than their own) but yet is somehow not irritating at the same time.

Ally Sheedy (Allison Reynolds)The damaged, silent loner from the Breakfast Club. Hardly says a word for the first 2/3rds of the movie but then really takes centre stage in the final 1/3 and basically owns the movie. There's a kind of naivety to her that I find disarming. Clearly a nutcase who'll (despite the makeover scene) never find the right track in life but would be interesting to have around nonetheless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pigman II wrote: »
    Kate Winslet (Clementine Kruczynski)Not sure why I chose this one. Could be the hair maybe
    Oh so fabulous hair! http://www.supercine.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/etsom.jpg
    Indeed, I used to have hair like that but it was too much of a goddam bitch to maintain. AND my hairline started to recede, so that was that.

Anyhoo, my contributions (for now):

James Caan as Sonny Corleone (The Godfather): Simple really. Teh sex. Not gorgeous looking but so frickin' manly I just WANT him!

Edward Norton as Derek Vinyard (American History X): So hot when he's a skinhead (forget his political ideology, just LOOK at the guy!!) Less sexy when he goes straight but the charisma, the intelligence, it's still there... Swoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Dudess wrote: »
    I used to have hair like that
    Now you're just teasing.

Would I do that...? Nah, tis true. When you see that hair colour on TV it's usually either a wig or just freshly applied. What you don't see is it turning orange and frizzy about two weeks later.

Oooh another to add to the attractive character list:

Clive Owen in Shoot 'Em Up. Strong and silent type, brooding, moody... oh god I can't cope.
    And *that* scene with him and Monica Bellucci having good old intense sex while a load of guys are shooting at them and Clive still manages to shoot them all back perfectly on target while at the same time making Monica scream... jebus.
    Clive's fully nekkid but Monica's wearing some thingie over her arse. Usually it's the girl whose ass you get to see, but not this time. Yay! (for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oh there's loads, but for some reason I've always had the hots for Catherine Keener as Maxine Lund in Being John Malkovich. She's not an amazingly attractive woman but there's something about her character in that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

In terms of sexiness, no one touches Grace Kelly in Rear Window, as Lisa Sherwood (or something like that). She was sooo gorgeous, and she had a degree of elegance befitting a princess. It's in the little things; the way she swirls the brandy in the glass while having that look of total self-assurance and poise, or the way she utters lines like "We think Thorwald's guilty", or waking Jeffries with a kiss. Even when she is
    : caught by Thorwald and the cops, she doesn't give the game away by panicking, but instead she hints to Jeffries that she has the ring. She doesn't lose her cool; she is always in total control.

No one else has or had what she had.

• Advertisement

Ooh, speaking of John Malkovich: Cyrus (or whatever) in Con Air. Hot with a shaved head and he's in pretty buff shape too. Again, brooding, calm, menacing; also highly intelligent, articulate and charismatic. Utterly insane in the sack I'm betting.

And I'm not into girls but Salma Hayek in Dusk Til Dawn is just smouldering...

Denzel Washington in Training Day - evil bastard but SO sexy.

I know, I know, I'm only going for sexiness. I'm just in that kinda mood...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Kim Hunter as Zira in the Planet of the Apes and to a lesser extent Helena Bonham Carter as Ari in the remake.

Zira while not looking terribly attractive was a highly endearing character, as of course was Cornelius. Ari may not have been as great a character... but I really like her hair style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Melanie Griffith in Something Wild also.
    I'm starting to see a bit of a pattern evolving....hmmm maybe I just like psycho chicks!

Look at mine! Definite evil bastard pattern!

I too seem to have a pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Patricia Arquette - True Romance

Helen Slater - Supergirl ;)

Maggie Gyllenhaal's as Ana in Stranger Than Fiction was pretty neat too. All that baking was pretty sensual and I loved that tattoo she had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Kim Hunter as Zira in the Planet of the Apes and to a lesser extent Helena Bonham Carter as Ari in the remake.

Not much make-up required for her anyway (HBC) very monkey like!
    Maggie Gyllenhaal's as Ana in Stranger Than Fiction was pretty neat too. All that baking was pretty sensual and I loved that tattoo she had.

Her in Secretary! Nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Very obvious but scarlett johanson in Lost in Translation

Winona Ryder in anything in the 80's or early 90's - most notably Beetlejuice or else Dracula ;)

Oh... Oh.. Thora Birch as Enid in Ghostworld. She put on 20 pounds for the role, and I think she looked much better for it.

Whatever happened to Thora? She really didn't pick her roles very well, did she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mine are all women who have moved me to utter the immortal lines "I'd love to make hot steamy love to her, and not just the wham bam thank you mam kind of love, i'm talking about hugs and everything afterwards" whenever seeing them on screen.

Layla (Cristina Ricci) in Buffalo 66: Think it was the blue tights what done it.

Mary (Cameron Diaz) in Theres something about Mary
    : Think this was the absolute pinnacle of her attractiveness. She has never again had the same effect on me. But all the way through that film she gave me middle body movements.

Alabama (Patricia Arquette) in True Romance
    : When James Gandolfini started to box lovely little Alabama all around the place I felt anger rise. I wanted to kill him.

Wonder whos gonna say Mathilda first. I know for a fact most of the lads are thinking it.

Whatever happened to Thora? She really didn't pick her roles very well, did she?

She kinda got pigeon holed (that sounds a little rude :confused:) into that dark, gothy moody teenager.

Pighead wrote: »
    Wonder whos gonna say Mathilda first. I know for a fact most of the lads are thinking it.
    In the movie of the same name, or in Leon? Having seen the performance in Leon a few times, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Natalie Portman was instructed by Beeson to do it as sexy as possible. Watching Leon was like the first season of the Sopranos with Meadow: I knew she was too young in this particular film, (WAAAY to young in the case of Leon, with her being about 11), but I also know that the actress is about my age, and thus just right!

Wacker wrote: »
    In the movie of the same name, or in Leon? !
    What do you think?
    matilda.jpg

matilda.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm afraid fancying the 15 year old Vanessa Paradis is about as bad as I get.

God I feel a little dirty now...

Very obvious but scarlett johanson in Lost in Translation
    Very plain looking in that film - but maybe it was her personality. At the time, people were ranting about her as if she was the hottest thing since Marilyn Monroe when she really, really wasn't - marketing machine methinks. http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/j/Johansson_Scarlett/sq_red_lost_in_trans_foc.jpg Kinda goofy looking actually.
    However she has hottened up exceptionally since.

I'm afraid fancying the 15 year old Vanessa Paradis is about as bad as I get.
    FIEND!

Yeah. Match Point was on the other night. It's the only film I've found Scarlet Johanson attractive in.

Pighead wrote: »
    What do you think?
    matilda.jpg

matilda.jpg
    Well, attach a photo of Natalie doing the Marilyn Monroe impression and then we have a ball game!

Yeah. Match Point was on the other night. It's the only film I've found Scarlet Johanson attractive in.
    She IS sexy in that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Oh there's loads, but for some reason I've always had the hots for Catherine Keener as Maxine Lund in Being John Malkovich. She's not an amazingly attractive woman but there's something about her character in that film.

I would agree with you there. Something strangely appealing about her in that film, even if she does play a complete psychopath in it. Hard to describe.

Natalie Portman as Sam in Garden State: probably the most adorable character in any film. The character and performance puts a smile on my face everytime I watch, and feels admirably real. The ultimate girl next door.

Kate Winslet's characters in ESOTSM and Little Children both deserve a mention too.

It is all down to a mix of excellent acting and writing. Even the most attractive actress can't make a poorly written stereotype likable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Angelina Jolie's character in Girl, Interrupted

A sociopath who looks like Angelina Jolie! :eek:

Hermione Granger in the third to fifth Harry Potters

If I was just a little bit younger, I could say the second Harry Potter too. :(

_39979945_hermione.jpg

You can't not love that expression, and she can work a pink jacket like no one else can.

Christinna Ricci's character in Prozac Nation

She's depressed. She's selfish. She's possessive. She's batsh-t insane.

And she looks like this.

172910__pn_l.jpg

Anna Chlumsky in My Girl

GRASS ON THE FIELD DAMMIT.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Very plain looking in that film - but maybe it was her personality. At the time, people were ranting about her as if she was the hottest thing since Marilyn Monroe when she really, really wasn't - marketing machine methinks. http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/j/Johansson_Scarlett/sq_red_lost_in_trans_foc.jpg Kinda goofy looking actually.
    However she has hottened up exceptionally since.

Ever since she "got it on" with that Justin Timberlake slut she's been knocked out of the list. But in that movie I think she's the perfect mixture of cute and hot :)

Advertisement