Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

She thought I was pregnant !!!

• 29-01-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Get this, I was walking into work this morning and I spotted a girl that I used to work with a few months ago. She turned around and said “Oh my god, its great to see you!”….. she then proceeded to look down and focus on my stomach and said “my god! LOOK AT YOUUUUU!”.

I presume she thought I was pregnant. I know I have put on a bit of weight in the last few months, but the ground should have opened and swallowed me up.
    I just laughed it off (someother work mates heard her) but hearing something like this now (going through other hard times) is not something I need. I don’t know wether to laugh or cry!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

whats your issue OP? the fact she thought you were pregnant or said it?

Being shocked is one thing but are you intending to rectify it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

So, what's the problem? Are you looking for advice and if so, what on? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Unless you're stick thin then this is an easy mistake to make, depending on what you're wearing etc. I bet it happens to a lot of women at one time or another. It's really not a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭evry1sm8

This reminds me of a "Malcom in the Middle" episode in which Hal met his new boss, i think it was his new boss' wife that was a bit chubby in the tummy :) and he pats her and says something alond the lines of "What do we have here??" and her response is priceless!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shethought wrote: »
    I don’t know wether to laugh or cry!
    If you laugh you'll feel better, if you cry what will it accomplish?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

:oI said it to somebody before and she wasn't pregnant either. She told me it was time I went home and left them to enjoy the rest of their night. I got my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I am not sure the OP has an issue here rather than a rant.

Moving to AH.

Mods there can always bounce it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

My mates often think I'm pregnant. I'm not though.

/tear

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

she then proceeded to look down and focus on my stomach and said “my god! LOOK AT YOUUUUU!”.

Try not to take it too much to heart, pet. These things happen. :(

She's WAAAAAAAY out of line, though. Pregnant or not, it's pretty rude to comment on the physical appearance of another (either positively, negatively, or in the case of suspected pregnancy, speculatively!) At least that's what my ma tells me, anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OP, Sounds like it's time to get working on decreasing the size of your
    Ned Kelly - otherwise people will think you're expecting twins soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I don’t know wether to laugh or cry!

lose some weight instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I noticed a girl in work has a bit of a stomach lately, I'm afraid to say anything in case she isn't up the duff! hehe

I've put on a bit of weight myself and thats one of the main reasons im off the booze for 6 months! Going to the gym loads now & starting to make progress!

OP, its easy with a bit of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

evry1sm8 wrote: »
    This reminds me of a "Malcom in the Middle" episode in which Hal met his new boss, i think it was his new boss' wife that was a bit chubby in the tummy :) and he pats her and says something alond the lines of "What do we have here??" and her response is priceless!! :D

What was the response???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Haha. That is pretty funny and more emabarrasing for her. Keep joking about it to her. Run up to her and snatch her lunch from her and say ''sorry, cravings''

WindSock wrote: »
    Haha. That is pretty funny and more emabarrasing for her. Keep joking about it to her. Run up to her and snatch her lunch from her and say ''sorry, cravings''

Hehe, you'd save a fortune. It could have been worse, OP. I assume you are female? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

....and rub your belly and say 'oooh, i felt a kick, do you want to feel?'' then kick her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

No point in crying OP and try not to let it upset you. If you need to lose weight do something about it so it won't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use this opportunity to realise you now are officially fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Get your face out of the crisp packets, get exercising and people won't accuse you of being pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

A guy I worked with in a newsagent told me that a heavilt preganant woman was in buying smokes once. He advised her against smoking while pregnant. Her response: "I'm not pregnant."

I don't believe him for one second though. He was a total liar.

A few months back I was on fortunate enough to be sitting on a packed DART and a woman with a bulge was standing beside me. It was just the sort of size to be ambiguos. I had no idea what to do, but thankfully the situation was resolved quickly as another guy offered up his seat. She was indeed pregnant, and I felt like an assh*le for the rest of the trip for hesitating. However, it would have been worse if I had not hesitated and I was wrong....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

That's happened to me on the bus too. Although, I'm sure a tub of ard would need the seat as much as a pregnant woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've been on the verge of congratulating two girls I know, but stopped myself on both occasions - thankfully, since neither of them were pregnant.
    If a person's a mountainous mass of blubber than I wouldn't feel bad but if you have a tendency to accumulate fat on the stomach only and the rest of you is slim (e.g. me) then I'd feel embarrassed - even though that's gonna look more like pregnancy than being huge all over would.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

azezil wrote: »
    I noticed a girl in work has a bit of a stomach lately, I'm afraid to say anything in case she isn't up the duff! hehe

When has that ever stopped you before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

azezil wrote: »

the rule is you should never suggest that a woman might be pregnant unless you can actually see a baby being pushed out of her vagina at that moment

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

OP,

Try not to get too down about it. Mistakes happen. I never comment on anyone being pregnant for that very reason, in case I get it wrong :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

the rule is you should never suggest that a woman might be pregnant unless you can actually see a baby being pushed out of her vagina at that moment

+1. I was going to say this. Unless she is crowning or has told she is pregnant, say nothing!

Thats the funniest thing ever. Hahaha. Lardo!
    Infraction given. Anyone else who feels they have the right to insult the OP because of her weight, take note. Some of you have been veering in that direction. Watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭bragan

Lol, this has happened to me so many times. I have had people get up on the train and give me a seat, people ask me how old my baby is, or when as i due. When I was on holidays last year, the rep told me not to worry, i'd still be able to partake in the activities (i did cry that time, i was on holiday for gods sake!!)

Moral of the story, it happens to girls all the time, some more than others. I am unfortunate to be quite slim everywhere, and carry some weight on my belly, hence looking pregnant!

you learn to deal with it, and make some healthy changes. It hasn't happened to me in over a year now, yipee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

haha happened me before, my aunt had given birth about 4 mohts prior and had a little tummy, i thought sum1 had told me she was preggers when i seen ehr i was like "aw heya, whens the baby due"

she jus replied "ya cheeky bastard", so i knew i had fooked up, i jus laughed and said "only messin"

lesson learned...be careful what you say to a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

That story is like the time I asked someone did she have the chicken pox....i was seven....

Ouch!!! Much worse! At least you can do something about weight gain... And, in fairness, it's generally self-inflicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

copeyhagen wrote: »
    lesson learned...be careful what you say to a woman.

I would have thought that was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Dudess wrote: »
    Ouch!!! Much worse! At least you can do something about weight gain... And, in fairness, it's generally self-inflicted.

i know!!it was so awful!i still see her around and i dodge her obviously....at least the chicken pox/acne has cleared up though haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gavrilo princip

I met a girl I went to school with in the pub one day.
    I asked her when she was due.
    She wasn't to pleased.
    Three pints later and she forgave me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Get this, I was walking into work this morning and I spotted a girl that I used to work with a few months ago. She turned around and said “Oh my god, its great to see you!”….. she then proceeded to look down and focus on my stomach and said “my god! LOOK AT YOUUUUU!”.

I presume she thought I was pregnant. I know I have put on a bit of weight in the last few months, but the ground should have opened and swallowed me up.
    I just laughed it off (someother work mates heard her) but hearing something like this now (going through other hard times) is not something I need. I don’t know wether to laugh or cry!

congratulations, you are fat.

/yells Next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Happened to me once.. she said "Oh my god, I never knew you were pregnant!", to which I replied, "Nope, just fat!"..

What annoyed me most was she didn't even have the good grace to appear mortified :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

I presume she thought I was pregnant.

Wait, did you correct her? If not, are you not afraid she's off telling people that you're pregnant? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Quackles wrote: »
    What annoyed me most was she didn't even have the good grace to appear mortified :rolleyes:

I'd have thought the mortification belonged to the fatty for being mistaken for being naturally big, rather than the less admirable alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I was on hols in santa ponsa, wearing a babydoll top (IMO everyone looks preggers in those) and this spanish guy comes over and says what is the name of your baby?? havent worn that top since...

cance wrote: »
    I'd have thought the mortification belonged to the fatty for being mistaken for being naturally big, rather than the less admirable alternative.

No, the mortification belongs squarely with the person who is bad mannered enough to comment on someone else's physical appearance.. Why should I be mortified because someone else thinks I need to lose weight? My weight and size has absolutely nothing to do with anybody else except me.

Cance, read post #31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No, the mortification belongs squarely with the person who is bad mannered enough to comment on someone else's physical appearance.

If you don't mind me asking, why is it considered bad mannered? Isn't weight the number one killer at the moment, something that costs that tax payer a fortune every year? Would you feel mortified after pointing out my bad driving?
    Why should I be mortified because someone else thinks I need to lose weight? My weight and size has absolutely nothing to do with anybody else except me.

Your size and weight unfortunately do have effects on other people. Its our natural response to be disgusted by grossly unfit people, its costs us money in medical bills in your future life from conditions brought on by it and certain things can be quite off putting about overweight people(smell, trying to share a seat on a bus plane, having to listen to them trying to breath).

No, the mortification belongs squarely with the person who is bad mannered enough to comment on someone else's physical appearance
    Thinking that you're pregnant and asking whether it's true or congratulating you is not the same as making a nasty comment about your weight. That's merely what you inferred.
    krazy_8s wrote: »
    Your size and weight unfortunately do have effects on other people. Its our natural response to be disgusted by grossly unfit people, its costs us money in medical bills in your future life from conditions brought on by it and certain things can be quite off putting about overweight people(smell, trying to share a seat on a bus plane, having to listen to them trying to breath).
    And would you agree that some of the above could be applied to grossly UNDERweight people (e.g. medical costs, natural response of disgust)?

I can understand constructive criticism directed at a person who's overweight, but please, no nastiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

If you don't mind me asking, why is it considered bad mannered?

Most decent human beings consider any avoidable comment/question/situation which causes another person to feel hurt/uncomfortable/embarrassed to be rude.

It's nothing to do specifically with obesity - I completely agree it causes it's own problems (and not just for the obese!), but it's still not right to make someone feel even worse about themselves - fat or thin or disfigured or whatever.....

If you don't mind me asking, why is it considered bad mannered? Isn't weight the number one killer at the moment, something that costs that tax payer a fortune every year? Would you feel mortified after pointing out my bad driving?

It's bad manners because I don't follow smokers around telling them to quit, I don't go into pubs and comment on other's drinking habits, I don't walk up to men with beer bellys and tell them that if they don't change their ways they're on a slippery slope... It's just none of your business, quite frankly.

First of all, there's a difference between having a little bit of a belly and morbidly obese which seems to have missed your eagle eye. I don't smell, I don't take up more than one seat on a bus, I can buy my clothes in regular shops without reaching for the plus sizes just like you perfect people, my weight is not affecting my health in any way, I'm not grossly unfit. I think the people who are mistaken for being pregnant are usually just a little overweight in one area.

Also, just because you feel a little inconvenienced by these people doesn't give you the right to abuse them. I'm not saying that calling someone pregnant is abuse, but like I've said, I don't think it's the obese that suffer from that. Every one of us will require medical attention at some stage. Cancer runs in my family, I would be more likely to suffer from that - should I also be abused for this? You'd swear no-one else had medical problems but the overweight..

I find it most ironic that Dragan and g'em over in Fitness are often accused of being "health freaks" yet when someone of 20 stone seeks advice, they're nothing but encouraging and understanding and don't post a single unkind word.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

First of all op, I can imagine how you felt. It could leave you feeling very down if someone said something like that and you werent pregnant and like you said you already have other stuff going on which isnt making you feel great and so this isnt going to help.

That happened to me on two occasions. Just for the record I am not overweight and didnt have a belly at the time. Once was by this girl I used to go to college with... she said it to hurt.. she is one of these butter wouldnt melt girls who can be bitchy and then make it look like it is all your fault like they heard you wrong or something. Second time was by a young girl who thought because of the top I was wearing that I may be... she was mortified god love her.

I dont know what to say to make you feel better, but I can understand that a comment like that can hurt. Hopefully you can put it behind you and move on.

Dudess wrote: »
    Thinking that you're pregnant and asking whether it's true or congratulating you is not the same as making a nasty comment about your weight. That's merely what you inferred.

Very true, but if you are not pregnant, that is the way you will see it! I do still believe that you never, ever EVER comment on pregnancy unless the lady in question says it first. You just don't know who you're dealing with, what their situation is.. It's too open to misinterpretation unless you've seen her pee on a stick. That's why I would consider it bad manners.

Peeing on sticks in front of other people is also not the best in the manners department..

• Advertisement
Advertisement