Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[O2] Slow mobile broadband speeds

Options
  • 29-01-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

I finally took the plunge last August and went for O2s mobile broadband @ €30 per month. I never get anything faster than 256 anywhere in the house. I rang them a few months ago and they said there was a mast up the road from me and the signal was strong. If I go to my parter's house in Santry I get the same speed even though I used to get it much faster there. Is there any way of increasing the speed or am I stuck with this?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you have a good HSDPA/UMTS signal then the speed issue is likely to be contention. There's nothing that can be done about this as they have no control over how many people are in any particular mobile cell.

If the signal strength is low, or GPRS/EDGE, even when you're close to a mast, then you could have an issue with the modem. It could also be the thickness of the walls in the house or weather conditions. There's a lot of things that can influence 3G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Would recommend that you change the settings in the O2 Broadband application and select to connect to 3G only. This improved my connection speeds a lot when I had a marginal 3G signal. Can't remember exactly where it is in the menu options but can post a screenshot later if you can't find it.

Given that more and more people are taking up the O2 offer, contention is very likely to effect more people. Sometimes a disconnect and reconnect seems to help me if my download speeds are particularly poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Ok, will try that. At the moment it's set to 'GPRS preferred'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is it just me or are some of the newer 02 modems locked so you cannot change the settings. Ive only had it since early january. When you choose connection type it says The operation is prohibited now.

Haven't updated firmware on mine since I got it but I still have that option to go 3G only. Mine was bought in November. If you don't have that option, then there is the possibility of putting back on the manufacturers (Huawai) firmware. Having said that, my own upload speeds are awful at the moment, downloads are great. Speedtest showing 2527kb/s download, 56kb/s upload & 268ms of a ping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

recyclebin wrote: »
    Is it just me or are some of the newer 02 modems locked so you cannot change the settings. Ive only had it since early january. When you choose connection type it says The operation is prohibited now.

You need to disconnect before you try changing speeds.
    Ok, will try that. At the moment it's set to 'GPRS preferred'.
    Thats the bit thats capping you at 256k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Perfect! 3.6! :D Thanks

Glad it worked! Would you mind doing a speed test just to satisfy my curiosity?
    http://www.speedtest.net

Thanks,
    Mick

Advertisement